Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

want to upgrade but not sure how far

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 04:57 AM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default want to upgrade but not sure how far

Hello all.

I have a 2007 SG. I want to make some engine upgrades (cams, etc.) but i'm not really sure how far i want to go with it. I dont race my bike, get on it every now and then when riding with a couple of my crazier buddies but i dont ride with that group very often.

I am looking to have my bike pull stronger in my main riding area. 2500-4500 rpm. I have been reading posts for quite a while on cams and was nearly certain what i wanted to do and then i started reading about the FM 107 kit.

I like that if i get the kit i get a lot of new things with it (lifters and what not) that i would probably be replacing anyway with my bike starting to get up in mileage.

I would just like to hear some opinions from people on what might be best for me. I am
on a bit of a budget but when i do the build
i want to have everything i will want and
need. Dont want to have to keep tearing into it and adding stuff. Thanks in advance.

By the way. My bike is currently a stage 1 with a/c, pipes and power commander.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I will probably be in the minority opinion, but I leave my Harleys at stage 1.

this gives a mild power gain ( 7 to 10 HP generally), while retaining reliability, driveability and MPG

I got alot of friends with all built up bikes and they can be much less reliable, much less fun to ride in traffic or day to day...and the MPG seems to drop by as much as 25%

so maybe not great for a group ride as they have to time their stops differently...

then they get another bike and leave it "un-screwed with" for regular riding

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 06-05-2013 at 06:09 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:22 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

my main ride not passed stage one,for reliability ,my bar hopper diff. story.But as above post that's just my 2cents

Old 06-05-2013, 05:27 AM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to add that when i mentioned up in miles i didnt realize i never posted the mileage. I am currently just over 60,000 miles. If i keep it at stage 1 what should i start looking into replacing? I have read about cam chain tensioners, lifters, and other things and just figured if i was going to get into all of that i would do some upgrading while i was at it.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:07 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

There are many ways of upgrading your bike. The simplest IMHO is by getting a package from a well known tuning shop and FM is well known and liked here on HDF. We also have sponsor Hillside Cycle who can work wonders, no doubt others. As for tensioners, I believe your bike is a TC96, which doesn't have that problem, as it has a later better design.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I initially just did a cam upgrade (Andrews 37G) on my SG (TC88) and that was a worthwhile improvement. However, I just got my bike back last week from a 95" kit with headwork and SE throttle body. I haven't been able to really get into it, but it puts a big grin on my face every time I ride it. This is my second bike with fairly extensive motor work and I never had any reliability issues with the first, and hope to not have any with this one either. As far as rideability goes, the fun factor goes way up and it is not "twitchy" to ride in traffic.

I say go for the full monte with one provision. If you plan to keep that bike for a while, then do it. Don't dump a bunch of money into it this year, and trade it next year. That will sting.

Shakey

Old 06-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lizard86
Just wanted to add that when i mentioned up in miles i didnt realize i never posted the mileage. I am currently just over 60,000 miles. If i keep it at stage 1 what should i start looking into replacing? I have read about cam chain tensioners, lifters, and other things and just figured if i was going to get into all of that i would do some upgrading while i was at it.
You also said that "I am on a bit of a budget" it would help if we knew how much you are willing to spend.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:17 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Honestly reading your goals and budget the best bang for your buck is a used set of SE255 cams. It will do everything you want. SE255 cams and a good stage one makes for a real nice touring setup in the 07s. Just get the tune right.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:34 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

For a good reliable budget build I would recommend have your cylinders bored for some SE 10-1 cast 103 pistons, Andrews 57h cam, Chev lifters, torrington cam bearings, new tensioners and have the heads checked plus a street port and ARCs. Ya should end up around 110 tq and 100 hp for under $2000 if ya do the work. If ya want more some forged 10.5 107" pistons and bigger cam with adjustable push rods would only be another $300 or so. After that I start thinking about crank work...

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 06-05-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:27 AM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I upgraded 10,000 miles ago to SE255 cams, V&H Power Duals and Monster rounds and added 37% more HP and torque. No reliability issues and gained better fuel mileage. Just my 2 cents worth.

Quick Reply: want to upgrade but not sure how far