Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decided to go for looks and not performance

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013 | 11:04 AM
Kadorja
|
Road Captain
Default Decided to go for looks and not performance

So after debating with myself for a couple of weeks now and finally re-enlisting for another 4 years I figured why not buy something for the bike that I want and would actually enjoy. Don't get me wrong I love performance mods but there's no way my bike would even be close to as fast as my car is without some serious horsepower to the wheel (along the lines of 145whp just to keep up) and the top end on the car is still way better than I could get out of the bike. So that being said I figured why not go for better looks and comfort.

So I finally made almost all the purchases I will need to make my bike fairly unique and great looking I think. I went with a batwing front fairing, drop in front suspension lowering kit, air ride rear shocks, 21" 52 fat spoke front wheel and a new lower seat.

I still need to paint the fairing (still need to figure out how I want to have it painted as well) and I need a tire for the wheel but that's only about $100 plus install. I plan on doing all the work besides installing the wheel. The spokes are sealed so I wont need a tube which is nice I guess. The bike should ride about .5" taller in the front but I can raise and lower the suspension with my thumb while riding if I need too. I'll probably raise it up a tad while on a long ride and keep it close to stock around town. Otherwise it will be dropped nice and low.

Anyways I'm pretty happy with what I went with. If anyone has any suggestions let me know. I'll be sure to update this thread with some pictures of the parts when they come in and the install. Eventually down the road I want a full radio system with fairing speakers and probably saddlebag speakers as well. I guess I'll start with the front fairing paint ideas. Bike is luxury teal but I'm open to some ideas for a nice custom paint.

Old 06-04-2013 | 12:26 PM
cubalz
Road Captain

Sounds nice. Update the thread with some pictures of your progress as you go!

Old 06-04-2013 | 02:01 PM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

Be sure to add the matching rear wheel.

Shakey

Old 06-04-2013 | 02:45 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member

sounds good and i'm with Shakeydeal, don't forget the rear one. You always see it!!

Old 06-04-2013 | 04:37 PM
Kadorja
|
Road Captain

I'm not too concerned about the rear wheel. As is I can barely see it and it doesnt bug me if I did. I figured with the rear slammed down it wont stick out too much. No shipping updates on the fairing. Shocks will be in tomorrow and seat will be in Friday.

Might try to install the shocks this weekend.

Old 06-04-2013 | 04:50 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member

Decided to go for looks and not performance
Originally Posted by Kadorja
I agree ...................................

Old 06-04-2013 | 07:15 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior

Congrats on re-upping and thanks for your service. Good luck with the updates. Keep us posted with how it's going. I understand about the car, my 1985 euro 930 is my speed fix. There's no way I'd ever get my HD to close to that level of performance.

Old 06-04-2013 | 07:19 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior

What bike did you get? I just see SOLD and HURRICANEd.

Old 06-04-2013 | 07:30 PM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member

If you are using the H-D front end drop in lowering kit, when I did mine I had a major bitch getting the fork tube top plugs back in. I ended up making a fork tube clamp from metal bar stock, bolts and nuts and glued on rubber pads. I copied what is in the service manual. I clamped the tube and set it in a press then pushed the plug down to be able to get the threads started. The lowered fork springs are much stiffer than stock and require a tremendous amount of pressure to get the plug to engage the threads. Mine is an '07 so I don't know if the kit is different for an '04.

Also, make sure you get a seal driver to install the fork seals. I got one off ebay that looked exactly like the one in the manual. It works by sliding it over the tube and "slide hammering" the seal in. Works great if you have the right tool.

Old 06-04-2013 | 10:27 PM
Kadorja
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Clubber
What bike did you get? I just see SOLD and HURRICANEd.
It's the 04 Road King. She's luxury teal so her name is Jasmine. The car is Katrina because she's supercharged and sounds like a hurricane.

Originally Posted by Guntoter
If you are using the H-D front end drop in lowering kit, when I did mine I had a major bitch getting the fork tube top plugs back in. I ended up making a fork tube clamp from metal bar stock, bolts and nuts and glued on rubber pads. I copied what is in the service manual. I clamped the tube and set it in a press then pushed the plug down to be able to get the threads started. The lowered fork springs are much stiffer than stock and require a tremendous amount of pressure to get the plug to engage the threads. Mine is an '07 so I don't know if the kit is different for an '04.

Also, make sure you get a seal driver to install the fork seals. I got one off ebay that looked exactly like the one in the manual. It works by sliding it over the tube and "slide hammering" the seal in. Works great if you have the right tool.
I went with the progressive drop in kit. It looks like it's pretty easy to install compared to most springs. The 2nd shorter spring is very soft and once the weight of the bike is on it, it compresses and lowers the front end. I think the worst part is going to be getting to the fork tubes.

I can't wait to see all the parts. No word on the wheel or fairing yet but hopefully they ship out pretty soon. I still need to get a quote on paint.

Quick Reply: Decided to go for looks and not performance