Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aux Port on stereo not working right

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 07:04 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts
Default Aux Port on stereo not working right

Hey guys,

I have a stock stereo on my 2006 Electra Glide Classic, and I use my iPhone for tunes and GPS. I plug into the AUX port on the front of the radio, and now it sounds like i am tuning an FM station that's losing it's signal (very staticy and only comes out of the left speaker). If I push down and hold the jack it works like it should.

I bought a new cord, no change
I blew out the port, no change
I cleaned out the port with circuit board safe electrical cleaner, no change

Is there a fix for this?

Is there another way to plug into the stereo from the back side via RCA jacks?

Other thoughts?

Thanks

Old 06-03-2013, 07:48 PM
CGP93
Tourer
Location: Orig Surfers Paradise Australia, then Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Tokyo, Toronto, now So Cal
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm you've done everything I would have done. I had similar issues and it turned out to be bad iPod aux leads. Bought new ones and it fixes the exact issues you've had
Worst case scenario would be to send the HU to Iron Cross for a refurb

Old 06-03-2013, 08:34 PM
1hellbent
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try a new cable first.... otherwise its a bad jack and will have to be repaired. This is a known weak spot on these head units. Iron Cross Audio is the place to deal with on repairs. Excellent run company and they really know the HK head unit. They have a very quick turn around.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:50 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

the aux input is very fragile(mines the same way.u can try a few different cords but... it most likely cracked internally,cheep plastic,iron cross can repair it,and they can add a variety of different inputs even a rear aux input.that way u can run the cord from under the fairing to a windshield pouch or wherever u want.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

My 2000 only had radio (not good on mountainous island) or cassette, so I also used my iPod on the aux port. Mine did the same thing and was very annoying. That is why I have a new Sony Head Unit which holds my iPod/iPhone/USB stick inside or Bluetooth streams anything I want from my iPhone.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

There is nothing on the back of the radio to help

There are threads that show how to install aux to the rear of the radio; I had ICA do the job. Then I bought an iSimple 75 cable to run from my iPhone handlebar mount to that. The cable includes wiring so the iPhone can charge.while in use.

Carl

Old 06-03-2013, 10:27 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an 02 Ultra and had the same thing. Luckily, one of the guys I work with is a radio geek from the service and has built and repaired a few systems in his time. He had some very unique, custom tools and fixed it for me without taking the sealed backing off. Maybe you have some specialty type folks in your area. I have heard many good things about Iron Cross. Good luck....

Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 286 Likes on 217 Posts

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like my plug/jack is bad. I found a website that gives detailed instructions on how to add a new one in the back of the unit. I will either try that, or add a cig lighter to my inner and try to use an fm transmitter like some do in a car (I have a hidden antenna inside my fairing)

http://blog.ironacesspeedshop.com/ho...vidson-stereo/

Old 06-04-2013, 07:27 AM
EasTexUltra12
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FWIW, I've tried to use a couple of those FM radio things, and the sound is not clear. They broadcast on one several FM bands, and you've got to select one that is not used commercially in your city. But eventually, you'll travel to a city that does use that frequency. Now you've got to fiddle with it to change freqs. PITA

Ride Safe

David

Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 AM
larsfum
Stellar HDF Member
Received 458 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
Thanks for the replies, it sounds like my plug/jack is bad. I found a website that gives detailed instructions on how to add a new one in the back of the unit. I will either try that, or add a cig lighter to my inner and try to use an fm transmitter like some do in a car (I have a hidden antenna inside my fairing)

http://blog.ironacesspeedshop.com/ho...vidson-stereo/
I found that site as well, and was going to suggest it to you. Not a difficult fix, but be careful with the faceplate. The plastic can get brittle over time and crack if you're not careful.

I would also test the connections to the aux jack in the front of teh radio. One solder link may have cracked over time. This photo shows it well:
http://blog.ironacesspeedshop.com/wp...eo/step-10.jpg

Quick Reply: Aux Port on stereo not working right