Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley communications headset

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013 | 07:31 AM
Idaho Spud
|
Road Master
Default Harley communications headset

I just got an Ultra limited and it came with a stock headset for a 3/4 helmet which I put on the wife's helmet. I bought one for my half helmet.

Here is the question. My set has a two part cord so it hooks in front of your chest. The stock Harley one is one piece so the wife has to be a contortionist to get on the bike and reach behind her with one hand to plug in. Does anybody know if/where you can purchase a two piece cord? Who makes the 3/4 headset. I know IMC makes the 1/2 helmet but I checked their website and saw so products like what comes with the Ultra.

Old 06-02-2013 | 07:34 AM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

Which one did you buy for yourself? Sorry not the answer to your question but tryingtodecide which one to get for half helmet and not get alot of wind noise

Old 06-02-2013 | 07:47 AM
Idaho Spud
|
Road Master

I bought the Harley Boom 3/4 system. I haven't ridden with it yet. I just tested it in the garage and it worked well enough there. The only problem I see is it might get uncomfortable on the ears. I was hoping to use it yesterday but the one that came with my bike for the wife is a cluster to hook up and mount the bike so I abandoned the idea for yesterday's ride.

Old 06-02-2013 | 07:59 AM
GerryAtrik
Intermediate

I have the J&M headsets on my 3/4 helmets. There cords are 2 piece.
jmcorp.com

Old 06-02-2013 | 08:14 AM
Idaho Spud
|
Road Master

Yup, I was looking at those. Problem is, I am cheap and I was trying to avoid buying a whole new headset. I has hoping I could just buy a two piece cord but it doesn't appear to be in the cards. Once again, Harley provides a product that is totally worthless for the use in which it was designed. Maybe they figure since its included in the bike, only the driver should use it.

Old 06-02-2013 | 08:21 AM
Dirtball
Tourer

We bought a set from IMC for the wife to use and it is 2 piece. It makes it easier for to get on/off the bike. Sorry but other than taking a HD set and having a custom cord made, that is about the only way I know of to get a 2 piece cord. Hope that helps out some.

Old 06-02-2013 | 08:23 AM
Idaho Spud
|
Road Master

How does the boom microphone attach on the IMC set?

Old 06-02-2013 | 08:25 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior

Her plug under the tour pak will pull out quite a way to help her plug in.

Old 06-02-2013 | 08:38 AM
FLHTCU Owner
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Idaho Spud
I bought the Harley Boom 3/4 system. I haven't ridden with it yet. I just tested it in the garage and it worked well enough there. The only problem I see is it might get uncomfortable on the ears. I was hoping to use it yesterday but the one that came with my bike for the wife is a cluster to hook up and mount the bike so I abandoned the idea for yesterday's ride.
Well, in that case I wont suggest you ditch the corded ones, buck up and get Bluetooth headsets. I just don't like be tethered to anything.

Old 06-02-2013 | 08:52 AM
davedyna
Tourer

As HarleyFlyBoy mentioned, the rear passenger connector can be pulled out to help with connection (ust don't let it free fly (snap back) when connected. My wife and I use the stock ones and they work decently and she has no problems connecting it from on the bike. Now, is it a great system, no but it works and it was free. I would love to get a wireless system but everyone we think about ends up having some group giving it bad reviews etc. We both ride with 3/4 helmets. I like the capability of Intercom, stereo through the headset (though it sounds like **** unless you pull the treble way down and move the bass up and then it is tolerable) and II have learned how to adjust the VOX good eough not to plague us in most riding cases. I know I will probably buy one of these wireless sets and end up realizing I was missing out on nirvana :-) .

Quick Reply: Harley communications headset