Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soft lowers and air temp.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Soft lowers and air temp.

https://www.airlite.ca/

I just had these soft lowers delivered. The manufacturer recommends not using them when the temperature is above 50F. What have others experienced when using these or similar products. Hard lowers are used in all temps although I believe they allow more air flow.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:20 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I put mine on last winter and left them on. Just did over 300 miles recently in the upper 80's. Since the engine guards angle in the soft lowers act as a scoop and direct more air to the opening between them and not less or the same.

But then don't listen to me my wife claims I'm dumb.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Am4wag
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

JUST took mine off when temps. soared to 90's.I feel they scoop air also.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:48 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I tested this because I monitor actual cylinder temp. Note: I am using different soft lowers. I found on the Interstate that lowers actually cool the motor faster and it runs cooler with them on. Around town sitting in traffic I get hotter faster.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:01 PM
ShadowMonster
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have soft lowers with a oil temp guage in place of my air/temp guage and have never had a temp issue in the summer, only remove them to get more air flow for us! LOL

Old 05-30-2013, 10:32 PM
Whiskyjock
Road Captain
Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks folks

Old 05-30-2013, 10:36 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

My bike came with soft lowers...50ºF is what they say.

why would I question that?

and where in AZ can I find temps below 50ºF. ?

I have hard lowers now, very nice.
and they do drop the oil temps about 25º on a 105º day

mike

Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 AM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Great topic. I started with the new HD soft lowers and didn't like the way that they fit with my rotating highway pegs (thread here). I purchased the airlite.ca product and really like the fit:

Yes they do have that 50 degree warning however I wanted to try them out so I took them out for a short highway ride of about 15 miles followed by some in town riding in about 65 degree weather. While riding in town the EITMS did not kick in, but it felt a bit sluggish when taking off from a stop... Note that I do have fork deflectors and the baffle between the forks.

I took it out again for some in town riding and didn't feel that sluggishness. While I wouldn't mind keeping these on in the cooler months, I will be keeping an eye on this. I wish I had a way to measure the temp...

FWIW, I have the 103 with stage 1 (super sucker, SE tuner module, V&H twin slash pipes).

Last edited by ReidRik_Von; 06-03-2013 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Added engine detail...
Old 10-22-2013, 12:23 AM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

Now that the weather is a bit cooler I have been trying to find the right setup to use my airlite chaps. As I mentioned earlier the bike seemed to be running hot with the chaps on plus the fork baffle and fork deflectors. This past weekend I took off the baffle and the engine still seemed to be getting hot...it was making some unusual sounds while pulling up a minor hill with the air temp in the high 50's. When I came to a stop EITMS kicked in. Next I tried removing the fork deflectors and this seemed to make a big difference in that the engine didn't seem to be overheating during mid-50 degree riding. I am will keep this setup (chaps and no deflectors) and see how it goes.

FWIW, I really didn't notice much difference with the fork baffle removed however I haven't ridden in the rain yet. With the fork deflectors off my knees were getting more wind but my feet were very comfortable.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 AM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain

So I was looking to see if there was way to use the airlite chaps in higher than mid 50 degree temps. I traded email with the owner about an idea I had to remove the mesh that sits between the engine guard and in front of the engine. He did see an issue and felt the the chaps would still hold their shape. So on Saturday morning I got out the utility knife and started carefully removing the mesh...this took all of about 10 minutes.

Took the bike out for a 40 mile ride today in mid 50 degree weather and didn't get any overheating. I will be keeping my eye on this.

Quick Reply: Soft lowers and air temp.