Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why "true duals"

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2013, 09:04 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
My sixth gear ran like crap. I had it tuned by three different shops trying to get the sixth gear back to where it should be. I was told by two of the three get rid of those pipes they are costing you torque where you need it. Only one thing solved that issue and it was removing the true duals. BTW, this was back when I was only running stage one. I imagine now I wouldn't notice it as much. But I say why pay the price for reduced performance?
What exactly do you mean by run like crap? I had an intake and tune on my Crossbones and my 6th gear didn't pull anyways. It's not meant to. There is a torque loss with duals where you normally ride and you can somewhat tune it out but compared to a 2-1 it wont be as strong at the low-medium range.

Why pay for a new paint job? Because it looks better to some people. True duals sound better to some people. I'm sure a true dual system will outperform any stock system.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:19 PM
vegashd
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FX4
My sixth gear ran like crap. I had it tuned by three different shops trying to get the sixth gear back to where it should be. I was told by two of the three get rid of those pipes they are costing you torque where you need it. Only one thing solved that issue and it was removing the true duals. BTW, this was back when I was only running stage one. I imagine now I wouldn't notice it as much. But I say why pay the price for reduced performance?
What a tuner, thought tuning was about throttle position and Rpm and not what gear your in....

Old 06-01-2013, 09:36 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadorja
If you pay a grand for true duals over any other exhaust you got ripped off.
Here is how the dealer justifies $1000, New Vance and Hines true dual $600, labor $400. This is why I went with the Slip ons.

Old 06-01-2013, 09:45 PM
Rootro
Road Warrior

dyno is deceiving. I don't care what a dyno machine says, when a rider is on the bike going down the road, that's where you find out what the bike will do. This dyno sh$t is a waste of money

Old 06-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Rootro
Here is how the dealer justifies $1000, New Vance and Hines true dual $600, labor $400. This is why I went with the Slip ons.
So any exhaust besides slip ons should be just as expensive or more than true duals. I had my V&H true duals on in maybe 20 minutes. Sounds like you need a better dealership.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:10 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

So.......... what about the guys at MGS, they seem to have a pretty well engineered TD system that ( appears ) to not dog out and it actually performs.

What say the MGS converts?

I was really thinking of MGS system as I don't really like the way my V&H ( yawn ) power duals sound.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:06 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

-deleted-

Old 06-02-2013, 03:14 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
On my evo FXRP a supertrapp 2/1. I needed the torque as I have a 15% overdrive. This bike weighs about 400 pounds- stripped. 80" high compression pursuit motor with cam. This 2/1 relieved about 15 pounds from the bike over the stock 2/1/2 system

the 95 FLHTC had stock header and supertrapp supermegs

the 2009 FLHTC has stock header ( no cat) with S/E supertrapp fatshots (modded; added disks, closed end cap).

...and on the 53 FLF...stock exhaust- which is a 2 into 1. ( yes I know, single muffler on a bagger...but that's how they came.) My other '53 and the '63 had same type system.

Here's the 53 FLF

Mike

( the trail 90 has a stock 1 into 1...1st production exhaust system with spark arrest!, the 74 Kawasaki 900 has a very very rare 4/1/4 by Nick Kemp)
Nice bike! (Honda Trail 90, yellow in color, first bike I ever rode!....not counting mini-bikes)

Old 06-02-2013, 03:27 AM
loanrider
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
So.......... what about the guys at MGS, they seem to have a pretty well engineered TD system that ( appears ) to not dog out and it actually performs.

What say the MGS converts?

I was really thinking of MGS system as I don't really like the way my V&H ( yawn ) power duals sound.
I put MGS True Duels on my 12 RGU and Love them I have not read the whole thread but I like the looks and sound of mine. I have not had any dyno
work and don't intend to don't need it I put the pipes on and a Thundermax
tuner and just ride. Runs great.You asked...Also when you call them they answer the phone right away and will answer any questions you have, good
CS. I should say that MGS is the only system I have ever installed on either of my HD's. Wish they made them for a WG.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:49 AM
Delmar
Advanced

I installed true duals for 3 reasons.

1. reduced heat
2. Better looks
3. Better sound

Any loss of low end torque due to true duals (if any) was well compensated by increasing to 107 big bore and performance heads. The Powervision tuner with AT does the tuning for me.

Quick Reply: Why "true duals"