Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture in Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 11:49 AM
OneOhFifthRKC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moisture in Speedometer

I have been struggling with moisture in my speedo for almost a year now.

When the engine is hot it heats the speedo and the moisture condenses on the lens.

I have taken it out of the nacelle and tried several methods to dry it.

I'm considering drilling a small hole in the back...

What have you done with similar problems?

Old 05-30-2013, 12:07 PM
Suntower
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my buddies was having that problem. He opened the speedo and put a couple flakes of this stuff in it:

It worked, but I personally wouldn't want loose **** bouncing around in my speedo. He he he...

Also... there's tons of threads about this. Do a search for speedometer condensation.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:34 AM
CGP93
Tourer
Location: Orig Surfers Paradise Australia, then Riyadh Saudi Arabia, Tokyo, Toronto, now So Cal
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I have had this same issue on really humid days after its been raining here in So Cal. The condensation will eventually dry out but does leave a water mark on the inside surface of the lens. I chose just to deal with this condensation issue and keep on riding, rather than drill tiny holes trying to let it breathe or insert sh*t into the speedo to dry out the water but then bounce around in there.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:46 AM
hapbob
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default yea

Mine also fogs a bit when engine hot....Small holes in back of Speedo?
Waiting for further info..
Hap

Old 05-31-2013, 05:23 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,956 Likes on 4,151 Posts

Mine has always done it. Especially when left out all evening in the pouring rain and driven home at 12AM since I used it for work transportation for years. I always tried to dry bike first chance by leaving out in the sun. However always seems to do it after a raining night for a few days after setting after a ride. Mine has a vent hole on the bottom. I bet if you use a lot of oil type cleaner sprays (shine) after a while a residue could get under lens. I don't use anything and mine is still OK. If it really bothered me, I would seal the vent with a square cut 6" piece of Tygon tubing glued on with epoxy. Then I would fill it with a dryer and cork it. Then your stuck with pulling the dash ever so often to change the pills. Just drilling a hole will make it worst since it will allow more steam to get in and its trapped up since moisture is coming from the bottom, not top.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-31-2013 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:53 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to get condensation on the lens of my handlebar mounted tach on my last bike. It would always clear after the bike cooled down so I never bothered with it.

Old 05-31-2013, 05:58 AM
Cheese Head
Tourer

Can someone show me a Harley guage that does not fog up. Doesn't have to be a speedo. I think it is a Harley thing...just like the Harley fuel guage is not the most accurate guage in the world. Every guage on my dash fogs up at some point. They have ever since it was new. Never really bothered me...they eventually dry out. Just have to ride it enough

Old 05-31-2013, 07:13 AM
birdmandave
Cruiser

Happens a few times a week in humid FL. Haven't read or heard of any good fixes so learned to live with it. When I went looking for a bike was amazed how many of the newer models on the floor had fogged head and aux lights. You would think for what you pay for an HD the Moco could figure out to solve an annoying problem. Profit over customer satisfaction.