Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Baffled by Baffles

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 09:37 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Baffled by Baffles

Forgive the newbie question, but here goes: I ride a 2007 RK Custom. Love it. It's got Python 3 exhaust, but I'm not sure if those are slip ons or the entire exhaust pipe system. I suppose laying on the ground and looking might allow me to figure it out. But anyway, I love the sound of them, but wouldn't mind a little "sharper", deeper sound. You know, the typical Harley "blat-blat-blat" sound. I'm not trying to win any volume contests. Just want to be heard on the road. So my question is, can I get some sort of baffles to add to what I have, or do I need a different set of slip ons or a whole new exhaust?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 05-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's all pretty simple...

The term 'slip ons' refers to mufflers, they just slip on and then get clamped in place, or so they say.

The Python 3s are 'after market' mufflers, and as such would also be called slip ons.

Baffles, are inserts in the mufflers, that can change the sound and/or the back pressure of the exhaust. Which, in turn, will/should give you a different power range (as in rpm range for your power band). You can usually purchase different size baffles, for different options in tone and power. For an example, here is a page out of J&P Cycles for different baffles...
http://www.jpcycles.com/python/baffles

If you want to find out information fast, without waiting for somebody to answer, internet search engines are your friend. Searching for Python 3 exhaust, should produce enough information to make your head spin. (That statement isn't intended to keep you from posting on forums though!)

Last edited by Def Mute; 05-29-2013 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:58 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Steve a part of this is that the stereo-typical "Harley" sound was produced by the earlier motors, Knuckleheads, Panheads and Shovels...these were hemi headed motors with a different cam, head and ignition configuration...and could idle at 600 rpms- usually with a very crude coarse fuel mixture device- the old carbs. for years the spark advance was controlled by the left hand twist grip...
These motors were replaced by the Evo motor which was similar but used a flat top piston, electronic ignition and better fuel mixing with the CV carb and early EFI up to 1998 ( Touring/ Dyna, 1999 Softail)

The Twin Cam ( 1999+) needs to idle at about 1050 RPM to keep the oiling to the motor internals sufficient in volume and pressure.
The high idle also reduces tailpipe emissions
The head design, cam overlap and many other aspects are changed- even though the motors kinda look the same on the outside.
(there were dozens of parts carried over from the 1936 Knucklehead through to the 1998 Evo motor...none to the twin cam).

you may get you best satisfaction from going to a bike event or bike night and hearing what other Guys are running- be aware that from the factory all 2010+ models have a catalytic converter in the header pipes and that drastically alters the sound- your 2007 will not have a cat- so you gotta "apples to apples"

smart money takes their time...or you end up with a shed full of pipes...like many of us.

1 thing- noise does not always= power. louder bikes tend to lack torque- low end power.
High flow exhaust systems do exist which are not loud
and loud pipes are not so fun 3 hours into an 8 hour riding day, with more to follow.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-29-2013 at 10:10 AM.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM
cmtaylor
Tourer
Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
Steve a part of this is that the stereo-typical "Harley" sound was produced by the earlier motors, Knuckleheads, Panheads and Shovels...these were hemi headed motors with a different cam, head and ignition configuration...and could idle at 600 rpms- usually with a very crude coarse fuel mixture device- the old carbs. for years the spark advance was controlled by the left hand twist grip...
These motors were replaced by the Evo motor which was similar but used a flat top piston, electronic ignition and better fuel mixing with the CV carb and early EFI up to 1998 ( Touring/ Dyna, 1999 Softail)

The Twin Cam ( 1999+) needs to idle at about 1050 RPM to keep the oiling to the motor internals sufficient in volume and pressure.
The high idle also reduces tailpipe emissions
The head design, cam overlap and many other aspects are changed- even though the motors kinda look the same on the outside.
(there were dozens of parts carried over from the 1936 Knucklehead through to the 1998 Evo motor).

you may get you best satisfaction from going to a bike event or bike night and hearing what other Guys are running- be aware that from the factory all 2010+ models have a catalytic converter in the header pipes and that drastically alters the sound- your 2007 will not have a cat- so you gotta "apples to apples"

smart money takes their time...or you end up with a shed full of pipes...like many of us.

1 thing- noise does not always= power. louder bikes tend to lack torque- low end power.
High flow exhaust systems do exist which are not loud
and loud pipes are not so fun 3 hours into an 8 hour riding day, with more to follow.

mike

Old 05-29-2013, 10:11 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Dang steve, cant ask for better than that!! Good luck with your decision man. Stay safe

Old 05-29-2013, 10:23 AM
scooper321
Road Warrior

Thanks to all who replied so far. This is really helpful! And it sounds like baffles might be the most straight-forward way to go to alter the sound a bit. And maybe the lower cost way. And this might be blasphemy but I'm not overly concerned about power. The RK has plenty for me - even at the low end.

Since baffles do alter the flow, I suspect I'll have to get the engine computer reprogrammed, to change the mixture?

And yes, thanks for the tip about the Internet. I do use it. But these forums help me make sense of all the "raw" information out there. So thanks for the insight!

Old 05-29-2013, 05:16 PM
Woweh
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by scooper321
Thanks to all who replied so far. This is really helpful! And it sounds like baffles might be the most straight-forward way to go to alter the sound a bit. And maybe the lower cost way. And this might be blasphemy but I'm not overly concerned about power. The RK has plenty for me - even at the low end.

Since baffles do alter the flow, I suspect I'll have to get the engine computer reprogrammed, to change the mixture?

And yes, thanks for the tip about the Internet. I do use it. But these forums help me make sense of all the "raw" information out there. So thanks for the insight!
Try Big City Thunder dot com(not sure if we can post links here). I have them and really like the sound difference it made on my Fat Boy with V & H twin slash slip-ons, it now has a much deeper sound, cool sound and not louder. I got the quiet baffles! You tube might have some sound clips to check out. Good luck with whatever you choose!!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:18 PM
scooper321
Road Warrior

Thanks. You weren't advertising, so I can't believe sharing a helpful link would be wrong. This might be what I'm looking for. Not necessarily LOUDER, just DEEPER. And more ear catching. How hard (for someone mechanically inclined but who's never really worked on bikes before) is it to install these? Any special tools needed?

Old 05-29-2013, 06:30 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,075 Likes on 2,558 Posts

Scooper...some pipe sites have installation instruction sheets to download or look at. I know Vance & Hines does, so I'd think others would too.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Most times...

You only loosen one or more screws and then pull the baffle(s) out. Some times, it takes a bit of 'persuasion'. Other times, it is pretty damned difficult to remove the baffles...

But, can usually be done with just a few wrenches regularly found in any handyman's tool box.

Quick Reply: Baffled by Baffles