Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 road king custom help(ping)

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2013 | 07:45 AM
supercub12
|
Intermediate
Default 05 road king custom help(ping)

this pinging is driving me nuts i have good fuel even tried octane boost still same thing ...roll the throttle an nothing but pinging.....Now the bike has a stage 1 harley download.....I was thinking about putting on a vance an hines fuel pack can i do this with the download

Old 05-28-2013 | 09:23 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Pinging can be caused by a number of things. Running too lean. Running with timing too far advanced. Carbon buildup in the chamber causing excessive compression. The later requires a top end rebuild. The others can be fixed by tuning. Stage I downloads rarely do much if anything. If it were mine I would go for either Power Vision, SE Pro Super Tuner, Thundermax, or TTS. They're all capable of tuning the ECU directly. And if you decide to have it dyno tuned most shops are familiar with at least one of those. You can do the tuning yourself. But it takes a lot of time to get good at it. Lots on this forum rely on Fuel Moto for help. Look into it. They may just have what you're looking for. The problem can be solved. But it'll cost a few $$.

Old 05-28-2013 | 10:47 AM
U-234
Road Warrior

You didn't state what if any mods have been done to the engine. If you have only done mufflers and air cleaner a set of XIEDs may be all that you need. You mite find a set used in the "for sale area" or check out eBay. Used they go for less than a hundred.

Old 05-28-2013 | 10:58 AM
lumper
Road Master

as it has been said, pinging can be from several things.
It is pre ignition timing ping, generally from running to lean or can be too hot.
I think it is detonating before it should basically.

Depends on what mods you might have done, meaning, new air cleaner, or pipes or both?
Any messing with your ecm, flashing maps and other settings to it?

My stock bike will ping under heavy load or past 4k rpms with a passenger on etc..
which is why I am doing a stage 1 to help the motor run cooler and adjust my settings to help eliminate the pings.

You need to figure out if your bike is all stock or if it has been modified/adjusted in any way first to know what your working with.
many ways to diagnose it, but a dealer can check your ecm for you or even dial it in if you bring it in and talk to your local service manager.
Pinging sucks, I think just about everyone has dealt with it at some point.
Lump

Old 05-28-2013 | 07:35 PM
supercub12
|
Intermediate

The bike has a 2 into 1 vance an hines big shot an a air cleaner with a stage one harley download.....can i just put the vance an hines fuel pack on with the harley download .....i had it to the dealer an everything checks out fine so they say... but it still pings

Old 05-28-2013 | 07:40 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

You need to retard the timing in the ranges your getting the ping and whatever fuel manager you use has to have that option.....fuel pack does not, neither will an EPA compliant download. Until you can remove 1-2 degrees of timing its going to keep pinging.

Old 05-28-2013 | 10:50 PM
slickrick_58
Cruiser

Spray some carb cleaner around your intake components. You may have a leaking manifold gasket or something else sucking air, causing you to run lean. If the RPMs change when you spray, you will have found your problem.

Old 05-30-2013 | 05:23 AM
supercub12
|
Intermediate

ok this is different.... i was out last night on the bike an it was 5 deg C( i am in canada)an i tryed to make the bike ping an it would not?????because of the colder weather???was ouit the other day in 15C AN ALL IT DID WAS PING?????

Old 05-30-2013 | 08:45 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by supercub12
ok this is different.... i was out last night on the bike an it was 5 deg C( i am in canada)an i tryed to make the bike ping an it would not?????because of the colder weather???was ouit the other day in 15C AN ALL IT DID WAS PING?????
Pinging (detonation) is a clandestine explosion of gas in the chamber that happens after the spark starts the burn. It happens due to high heat, or high compression, or too much spark advance, or possibly carbon buildup. As what was said before, you need to get the bike tuned to eliminate the problem.

Old 05-30-2013 | 10:15 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by supercub12
But yes, higher ambient temperature will affect pinging. Heat, load, fuel, etc. all contribute to ping. As others have said, whether at 5C or 15C, you need to get it tuned...

Quick Reply: 05 road king custom help(ping)