Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strobes on bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 12:30 PM
nightglide
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Strobes on bikes?

Talking in another thread about cars pulling out in front of bikes and saying they didn't see them.

I was wondering if someone here has tried strobes in the head light and tail lights.

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: nightglide

I have seen this alot..... But I was kicking around an idea of putting a strobe in my head light area like the ones we have on the patrol cars in the rear and front lights.

do you think this would work to catch peoples attention or cause them to stare at me and then run me down as they drift left?
[/blockquote]

I don't know who it is but someone makes a system for bikes like you describe. There are several bike in the area with them on. I don't know the guys with them but someone here on the forum might know who makes it.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:01 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: Srobes on bikes?

In most jurisdictions, strobes will get you pulled over and cited.

I suspect what you're referring to are headlight modulators - they are available from 2 manufacturers that I'm aware of (there are others, but these are the two that I consider most "legitimate"):

1. Kisan - they specialize in "plug and play" units and are very good on warranty issues.

2. Signal Dynamics. Have never used 'em, but haven't heard anything negative on 'em.

I tend to use Kisan products, havin' installed 'em on 4 of my Goldwings. I'm getting ready to install a set on my Ultra Classic with some mods. They design 'em to be wired into the headlight, but I plan to use the P115W-H3-HD. It's designed to handle two lights, and I'm going to reconfigure my electrical system so that it will "fire" the driving lights instead of the headlight. I haven't gotten into the electrical system yet, so I can't tell you exactly what it's going to take. Once I do it (about 3-4 wks), I'll post details w/pics, and will likely even save it as a step-by-step file that I can send folks who want it.

For those without the skills/tools/comfort level to try the modified approach I'm going to use, they make part # P115W-S which is designed as a "plug and play" unit to operate the main headlight. I simply want the additional lighting of the twin drive lights to try and get folks' attention a bit more, plus I'm likely going to convert my main headlight into an HID system down the road, since we do a lot of touring and I'm wanting all the light I can get at night!

HTH....

Old 02-23-2007, 01:19 PM
nightglide
Road Master

I know here it can not be red lights facing forward. and most officers will know why you have them and I dont see much of a problem.

as you can see I am a DARK target and would like some extra help.

I found these, I was looking for something smaller, but I could wire these to the acc switch I have and hend them someplace in back between the bags and I don't know about front.

http://www.amazon.com/StreetGlow-ANL.../dp/B0002S9YJI

Old 02-23-2007, 01:31 PM
ultraultra
Road Warrior

I honestly don't know if ANYTHING will help anymore. Being on a bike, we are extremely vulnerable. But I'm seeing it more and more in my cage too. Fortunately, one of my cages is a Saleen, and I am gone before they even know what blew by. But how can someone not see a 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 truck that could house an illegal imigrant family? (happened to me this last weekend)

Someone put an extra cup of stupid in the soup, and people are chowing down at the all-you-can-eat buffet!

Old 02-23-2007, 02:21 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

I know here it can not be red lights facing forward. and most officers will know why you have them and I dont see much of a problem.
as you can see I am a DARK target and would like some extra help.
Obviously, each of us must make the call for themselves as to how far "outside the box" they are comfortable with. I normally run full strobe packs on my bikes that are available with the flick of a switch - but I do NOT run them routinely. I use them in emergency or low-visibility situations where I'm concerned that a vehicle might not see me. I will NOT run them routinely, however, as many LEO's will (legally and rightfully) cite you for same.

Headlight modulators (as I referred to in an earlier post) are legal by FEDERAL DOT statute, and as such may NOT be prohibitted by ANY jurisdiction - period. Tail light "flashers" are similarly permitted by DOT regs with given specifications, and as such can also not be prohibitted. This does NOT mean you won't be cited - not all LEO's fully know the law(s). I carry a copy of the DOT regs with me, and have even then been threatened to either turn them off or be cited. Up to this point, I am polite and calm. At the point they make THAT offer, I go into "Ex-LEO" mode, and firmly tell the officer to either get a supervisor or be prepared to have an *** made out of himself in court. I've yet to have an officer go ahead and cite me - but it's been close<G>.

I am a big-time LEO supporter, and it's usually a matter of being a LOT of obscure laws that the officers can't be reasonable expected to be familiar with. As long as they're "cool" about it, I consider it an opportunity to further their education - when they wanna cop a 'tude, I'm ready to deliver it right back to 'em. I've been pulled over more times than I can count w/modulators, but only 1 or 2 times has it appeared to become close to them writin' meup.

The key is to be polite and informative - I'll even offer 'em a copy of the statute. In the past, I've gone so far as to send a copy to the Chief of Police of the San Antonio Police Department because several of us were being pulled over several times a week. I simply politely asked them to inform their officers of the DOT law, and offered to bring my bike in to show them exactly what is required to make such a system comform to the law (there's a lot of folks out there who've either made or bought non-compliant units). To their credit, I received a polite call thanking me for the information, and they got the info out to their officers.

Old 02-23-2007, 02:31 PM
PaOutlaw
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking in another thread about cars pulling out in front of bikes and saying they didn't see them.

I was wondering if someone here has tried strobes in the head light and tail lights.

[blockquote]quote:

I have seen this alot..... But I was kicking around an idea of putting a strobe in my head light area like the ones we have on the patrol cars in the rear and front lights.

do you think this would work to catch peoples attention or cause them to stare at me and then run me down as they drift left?
[/blockquote]

I don't know who it is but someone makes a system for bikes like you describe. There are several bike in the area with them on. I don't know the guys with them but someone here on the forum might know who makes it.
I installed the modulator on my Ultra the day I picked it up. Wouldn't be out there without it. some complain about it. I figure that if it pisses someone off.......they've seen me.

Outlaw

Old 02-23-2007, 03:51 PM
tgaetto
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Check out this Thread
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1303840/m...tm.htm#1303840

Old 02-23-2007, 04:47 PM
jrp
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a head light modulator, wig wags on the spot lights, a blue Sho-Me high intensity LED light under the triple tree, and a pair of red Sho-Me High intensity LEDs on the rear of the bike which are concealed between the fender and hard bags.

All the LEDs are hooked up to Flasher units so the lights blink through a number of flash patterns.

I have the auxiliary switch box with three switches mounted on the left handlebar. One switch works the front LED, One works the back pair and the third works the Wig-Wags. The wig-wags will only work when the aux switch is on and the fairing spot switch is off or the high beam is on.

I have a DOT permit for emergency lighting on my vehicles.