Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cutting out going uphill

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 11:36 PM
Delzore
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Engine cutting out going uphill

So, went out for a ride to breakfast this morning.. Mesa Az up to Payson.. blast of hill to ride up.. set the cruise and go.. except for today... Just rode this route last night, no issues... but i was alone.. This morning, took my wife with me... now I know there is extra weight, and I typically have to shift down to 5th anyway... but this morning, I would give it gas and the engine would act like it was not getting gas, or enough, cutting out... kind of like what my sporty would do when I had to switch to reserve..

I do have a power vision on, and have been running on their economy map.. wondering if that could be cause potentially..

If I downshifted to 4th or 3rd on occasion, I could keep my speed up, and no cutting out, at least noticeably, above 4k rpm.. but in the 3k range, no fun...

Bike WAS in for 45k service earlier in the week.. I check out plug connections when I got home and all seemed to be ok..

thoughts for what I should alter next? go to the performance tune and try again? pull the plugs and see if there are issues there? could there be a more serious issue?

Thanks for any advice...

Chris

Old 05-26-2013, 01:11 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

you asked so,
same tank of gas or did you just fill up in the morning, bad gas?
If 1/2 tank some reports of crack in the pickup inside tank

Old 05-26-2013, 02:48 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

i'd look at renewing the tuner connections.

either that or as above check the fuel system for proper pressure and volume...although this is less likely if you are able to run the motor at over 4000 rpms with "normal" power

just uphill or ?

I am wondering if the timing is staying advanced when the intake vacuum drops...it should retard timing.
That may indicate a sensor fault

"reading plugs" has no place given modern fuel additive packages and EFI- don't waste your time. If you do, make sure that antiseize is on the threads and use dieelctric grease on the plug wire boots

you could check and see that the correct type plugs were installed by the shop "super magic awesome" plugs may not work well with the ecm. stockers seem to work best

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-26-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2013, 07:02 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Any chance the air cleaner got wet or if they put to much oil in at the service and its got oil in it from blo by.

Filter being wet can make it act like that under a load. It sucks in water or oil instead of air and can cut out.

Old 05-26-2013, 07:06 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Delzore
I do have a power vision on, and have been running on their economy map.. wondering if that could be cause potentially..
No, it wouldn't. It would take an AFR much leaner than that used in your "economy map" to make it cut-out like you're describing. It is possible that you have gotten some bad gas. Did you fill-up between the time the bike was running well and not?

Bike WAS in for 45k service earlier in the week.. I check out plug connections when I got home and all seemed to be ok..
What did they do for that "45k service," which BTW is probably not a scheduled service point.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:04 AM
Delzore
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the replies... Sorry, did not get out again to ride and see if I took care of the pro yet..

While I did put on the power map over the economy (something I wanted to do anyway), i checked the plug connections (did not pull them though) and when ahead and cleaned out the filter... I have one of those K&N heavy breather (K&N 63-1126 Harley Davidson Performance Intake Kit (24844258397))

I also thought bad gas, though I filled up at same pump as friend, he did not seem to have any issues...

New gas going in this morning on way to work as I am almost empty from that Sunday ride.

thanks again
Chris

Anyway, lots of dirt and grime came out when I washed it up in some clean soapy water... let it dry..