Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just lowered my 2013 Street Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 08:42 PM
TXCobra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just lowered my 2013 Street Glide...

Ok after scouring the Internet, talking to my dealer and lots of other people, I decided to use burly 10.5" rear shocks only to lower my SG. I really didn't want to lower it for any other reason but to get my feet flatter on the ground. I've read lots of stories about the lowering blocks, heard about the seat mods even tried a couple of different seats myself, but decided new shocks were the best bet.

Took it out for a 20-30 mile ride and it felt great!! Was not the harsh ride I expected or read about. It seems to handle even better with the lower center of gravity.

Here's my only concern. I've read horror stories about bottoming out and rubbing wires under the fender, but I think it was with a more extreme lowering than 1.5". Is there a bump stop or something I could do to insure I don't rub the wiring or even worse, have the tire hit the fender? I am about 225 and always ride solo. No luggage and usually not a lot of stuff in my bags.

If I don't have to worry about that, I would be completely satisfied with the result. I am going to call Burly next week but I really appreciate any knowledge you can share about this topic.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:58 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have 11" Bitchin Bagger shocks on my 2008 FLHRC there just like the 13" stock Air shocks but cut down , different spring and different fluid . They have a stop so no worries about bottoming out on the fender. They can cut your stock shocks to 10.5" . this is about $170 ...not sure.

I also had MeanCity Cycle narrow and lower my stock seat several inches ,plus memory foam added for comfort only just under $150 including shipping both ways.
This is super thrifty way cheaper than a new low seat and Super comfey . I ride 500 mile + days NP.

Also I bought a good tall pair of engineer boots and had a cobbler make the soles thicker and heels taller .

Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 PM
TXCobra
Advanced

Thanks for the feedback. The Burly's that I installed may have the same, I'm just not sure. I will check with Burly soon. The stock shock length on the street glide is 12", so I'm only lowering by 1.5".

I've heard the meancity seat mod is way less comfortable than the stock seat, even with memory foam, but you say it's very comfortable so I may need to reconsider that.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:21 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The MeanCity mod with memory foam is more comfey than stock .
I have rode a lot of 550+ mile days in comfort .

RESULTS MAY VARY HA !

Last edited by baust55; 05-25-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 PM
Headdawg1911
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have your same setup and I have never bottomed out. I have not tested it with 2 up but if I was going to ride 2 up I would just adjust the settings. I have mine on 2 right now. The look and ride is great. The thing Burly would want to know is your weight. I'm about 205 and Burly said use the 2d setting and I would be fine. I will say on Ebay you will find lower brackets that you can use. The guys I know that have lowered their bike this way bottom out all the time. It really all about shock travel.

Old 05-25-2013, 10:53 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

depends on what year of bike you got I see you got a 2013 so I would think you would be ok......the reason I say that is the wiring is routed different in the newer bikes. my wires would never rub on my stock fend even with my legends aired all the way out.

Last edited by piesik650; 05-25-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 11:03 PM
TexFF
Road Master

You will be fine due to using shorter shocks & NOT using lower brackets. The shocks have an internal bump stop. When using the brackets the end of the shock is moved so it changes the amount of droop you have until the bump stop hits.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:15 AM
TXCobra
Advanced

Thanks guys, that was the confirmation I was hoping for! I know these 10.5" Burly's have much less travel than the 12" stockers, but I was really surprised at how well it rode and handled! I've heard so many bad things about the lowering blocks, I really wanted to avoid them altogether.

If there really is no risk of the rear tire hitting the fender or rubbing the wires, I am stoked about this mod!!

Old 05-26-2013, 02:19 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Hope this works for you.

Carl

Old 05-26-2013, 05:48 AM
tazman509
Road Captain

I agree with the others on the Mean City Cycle mod. I personally think it is much more comfortable than stock. The more miles I sit in the saddle the more comfortable it gets as it breaks in. The 2" lower and narrowed helps with flat footing. I also had the passenger portion widened slightly and memory foam added. The OL likes it much better than stock.

Quick Reply: Just lowered my 2013 Street Glide...