Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just lowered my 2013 Street Glide...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:18 PM
TO34
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks looks good, just what I was thinking.. I'm not in the mood to pull the front apart & lowering the rear looks to be the ticket.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 AM
HarleyMama53
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered front end 2013 Street Glide

After a long trip, I had my seat modified and lowered the front end on my bikes. Now the front end bottoms out every time I hit a bump in the road, the pavement height changes or getting on and off bridges. It is very scary and feels like I'm going to lose control Work was done at a Harley dealer with Harley parts. Their solution is to go back to stock parts which of course we apparently did not pick up as we usually do after modifications. We are looking at over $400 but it has to be done. Has anyone else had a problem with the front bottoming out? Is there a fix that would keep from going all the say back to stock? I like the height of the lower front end.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:37 AM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,073 Likes on 2,557 Posts

To me, the SG is the best looking dresser/bagger Harley has. It'd be the only one I'd get, if I got one.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by HarleyMama53
After a long trip, I had my seat modified and lowered the front end on my bikes. Now the front end bottoms out every time I hit a bump in the road, the pavement height changes or getting on and off bridges. It is very scary and feels like I'm going to lose control Work was done at a Harley dealer with Harley parts. Their solution is to go back to stock parts which of course we apparently did not pick up as we usually do after modifications. We are looking at over $400 but it has to be done. Has anyone else had a problem with the front bottoming out? Is there a fix that would keep from going all the say back to stock? I like the height of the lower front end.
You can change the fluid to the Screamin Eagle fork oil and that should stiffen it up. That is if they had used the stock oil. If they already have the Screamin Eagle in then they also have the Screamin Eagle race oil you can use, but that is going to be pretty stiff. I also have the H-D lowering kit in my forks (1.5" drop in rear with Bitchin Bagger modified shocks) and I have never had it bottom with the Screamin Eagle oil. But it is stiffer and rides rougher than stock.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 AM
CPT America
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Contemplating the "best" way to lower my SG and am in between the BB modified shocks or the Burly's. Here are my questions: Do the BB modded shocks still allow you full flexibility to add/remove air to accommodate more/less weight? And, what type of adjustment mechanism do the Burly's use (air, collar adjustment, etc.)?

Old 06-15-2013, 06:03 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TXCobra
Ok after scouring the Internet, talking to my dealer and lots of other people, I decided to use burly 10.5" rear shocks only to lower my SG. I really didn't want to lower it for any other reason but to get my feet flatter on the ground. I've read lots of stories about the lowering blocks, heard about the seat mods even tried a couple of different seats myself, but decided new shocks were the best bet.

Took it out for a 20-30 mile ride and it felt great!! Was not the harsh ride I expected or read about. It seems to handle even better with the lower center of gravity.

Here's my only concern. I've read horror stories about bottoming out and rubbing wires under the fender, but I think it was with a more extreme lowering than 1.5". Is there a bump stop or something I could do to insure I don't rub the wiring or even worse, have the tire hit the fender? I am about 225 and always ride solo. No luggage and usually not a lot of stuff in my bags.

If I don't have to worry about that, I would be completely satisfied with the result. I am going to call Burly next week but I really appreciate any knowledge you can share about this topic.
I can remember drivers ed from high school, then onto motorcycle drivers ed which followed (38 years ago).
Proverbial rule 101 was do not ride a bike you cannot touch flat footed with both feet on the ground with. Not to be th fly in the ointment, but I do get amazed when I read threads where guys need to lower this or that just to feel safe.
I would have purchased a different bike to begin with. Something that fit me.
I see it out every weekend where people pull up to stops and are choosing one leg or the other to touch the ground when they stop. That reminds me how safe it is when I see peeps yappin on their cell phones in their cages.
Good luck getting her to fit.

I am lucky and have long limbs, with a 34" inseam, so it was never an issue.

Last edited by VTL nut; 06-15-2013 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:30 AM
TXCobra
Advanced

Originally Posted by HarleyMama53
I don't know of one. I've heard so many bad stories about lowering the front that I decided not to touch it. I'd like the lowered height too if I thought it could be trouble free and not affect the ride too much, but I don't think that's possible....except for maybe a high dollar air suspension setup. Good luck and please do let us know if you find a good fix.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 AM
TXCobra
Advanced

Originally Posted by CPT America
Contemplating the "best" way to lower my SG and am in between the BB modified shocks or the Burly's. Here are my questions: Do the BB modded shocks still allow you full flexibility to add/remove air to accommodate more/less weight? And, what type of adjustment mechanism do the Burly's use (air, collar adjustment, etc.)?
I'm not sure about the BBs but the Burly's have a collar adjustment that's pretty easy to adjust for more weight.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:38 AM
TXCobra
Advanced

Originally Posted by VTL nut
I can remember drivers ed from high school, then onto motorcycle drivers ed which followed (38 years ago).
Proverbial rule 101 was don not ride a bike you cannot touch flat footed with both feet on the ground with. Not to be th fly in the ointment, but I do get amazed when I read threads where guys need to lower this or that just to feel safe.
I would have purchased a different bike to begin with. Something that fit me.
I see it out every weekend where people pull up to stops and are choosing one leg or the other to touch the ground when they stop. That reminds me how safe it is when I see peeps yappin on their cell phones in their cages.
Good luck getting her to fit.

I am lucky and have long limbs, with a 34" inseam, so it was never an issue.
I agree, I wish there was another touring bike that fit better bone stock, and like Chickin said, to me there is no other bagger that I like nearly as much as the SG. But now with the lower rear shocks I can flat foot it and it feels very safe.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:09 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

If ya really want to lower it and have an acceptable ride; Race tech springs, shorter dampers and Ricor Intimators in front. Progressive 944, Ohlins, or JRI shocks (in that order) for the rear. Got to pay to play.

Quick Reply: Just lowered my 2013 Street Glide...