Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to upgrade to a bagger, i need some experienced help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 09:54 AM
pastime
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to know the differences between the product lines, look on the MOCO's website or other websites. Then decide what it is you really want and go from there. I'm with others that have said don't be penny-wise now and then regret it because you didn't get what you want and have to start adding stuff (not bling - usable stuff) later and running the out-of-pocket cost up anyway. Agree also on getting something with the new frame - BIG positive difference in how the bike handles.

Good luck making your decision - lots of fun options.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:29 AM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 669 Likes on 533 Posts

for the older bikes 04ish,imo 02 is one of the best years 02 got an upgraded swing arm and delphi injection,and already had the forged crank with timken bearings.03 the forged crank and timken bearings went away.03-06 not many significant changes. 02-06 all have the cam chain tensioner problems.as for the handling on the older frame a 3rd link or rear stabilizer helps a bunch.05 did have a service bulletin for valve seals,not all 05 were affected.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of good advice above. No matter which way you go you'll have to compromise on something. Any of the Ultras tend to be better for long hauls, but you lose some of the corner-carving unencumbered openness of a non-bagger. SG and RK don't box you in as much, but aren't as convenient for two-up long hauls. Any bagger has the potential to have buffeting issues... seems to be very rider dependent, so again, test ride before you buy to see if it's something you experience and are OK with testing different products to alleviate.
Cruise can be a biggie for long haul comfort, and ABS is always a good idea - particularly when the weight and handling characteristics change between solo and two-up. It can do a much better job of adapting than you can. My advice would be to find the style that feels good, then go up one grade.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:37 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsracer3839
yeah i hear what your saying ive road both and the road king is more well rounded i just see prices and there all over the board like usual i was looking for like an 04ish year with reasonable mileage. Is there any year road kings that had any service bulletins or years i should stay away from? The ones ive seen have the leather covers over bags, for looks i prefer the fiberglass bags, do the new bags hold more or less whats the scoop
The key word is PATIENCE don't feel like you have to buy the first one that gives you a woody.

Check out this bike my friend found late last year. it's an 04 Road King Custom, that the guy spared no expense on. It's got a custom fairing with awesome stereo that just unclips and comes off. It's got a complete chrome front end. custom tour pack, and is done perfectly. Stage 1 with Rineharts and not a blemish on it.

14K miles on the clock. He got it for $11K. REALLY

Old 05-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

Originally Posted by oldhippie
The key word is PATIENCE don't feel like you have to buy the first one that gives you a woody.

Check out this bike my friend found late last year. it's an 04 Road King Custom, that the guy spared no expense on. It's got a custom fairing with awesome stereo that just unclips and comes off. It's got a complete chrome front end. custom tour pack, and is done perfectly. Stage 1 with Rineharts and not a blemish on it.

14K miles on the clock. He got it for $11K. REALLY

Damn sweet deal indeed...Plenty of Queens out there to be had...

Old 05-26-2013, 03:07 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Hey Notgrown up! We got the same bikes..

I used to be pretty good at drinking beer too! Guy's gotta' be good at somethin!