Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Harley Techs Road King Wont Start

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:50 AM
SteelCityScooter
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Question for Harley Techs Road King Wont Start

ORIGINAL: Newhog

My brother washed his bike yesterday a 2000 Road King, now it wont start. No engine light at start-up, no light on PCIII, changed all of the relays and followed trouble chart in repair manual. We don't have the Harley test block but from what we can determine with a meter and test light everything points to a bad ECM. We took that off and yep water came out of it. We let it dry over night and still same problem. Is it most likely fried or will more time letting this thing dry out possibly bring it back to life? I know I know, elementary question for someone who is mechanically inclined...but it's a bike not a car Maybe the electronics are more forgiving.
Since the PCIII gets its power from the fuel pump circuit, and you are not getting lights on it, and the bike cranks but no start.
Have you checked to ensure you have fuel going to the engine?
Also, have you tried taking the PCIII out of the electrical equastion and tried running JUST on the ECM?

Old 02-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Newhog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-23-2007, 12:08 PM
Newhog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: Jumpman

I think that there may be more potential problems if you put the 'bad' ECU on the 'good' bike.

If the ECU from the Road King is indeed bad, putting it on a different bike could mess things up by sending voltage to places it isn't supposed to go. If you are confident that all electronics feeding the ECU are good, I (just my opinion) would put the ECU from the Ultra on to verify wheter you need to start looking for a replacement.

The wiring on each ECU should be the same, and if there is any difference in programming (fuel, timing, etc.), it should not be significant enough to cause any problems....

I would let the ECU dry-out, and try it again...I would also take the PCIII out to the loop, and let the bike try it that way. Let me know how it goes, I will talk to a few buddies of mine & see if I can source an ECU - I think a friend of mine had a complete ECU/fuel injection system from a 99 Road King.

BTW - It is very refreshing to hear that someone else is attempting to troubleshoot electrical issues...This post is a nice change from the "Are You a RUB" BS.

Thanks Jumpman,

BTW, my brother who messed up the bike; we call him Jumper.

Letting it dry longer is also the first thing I told him. We did take the PCIII out of the loop, same thing.

We appreciate the help.

Mike

Old 02-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Newhog
Road Captain

[/quote]

Since the PCIII gets its power from the fuel pump circuit, and you are not getting lights on it, and the bike cranks but no start.
Have you checked to ensure you have fuel going to the engine?
Also, have you tried taking the PCIII out of the electrical equastion and tried running JUST on the ECM?
[/quote]

Thanks SC,

Yes we took the PCIII out of the circuit, same thing. We have thought about fuel and have not checked for no delivery. But with no lights and following the HD service manual it is almost surely the ECM given no lights past thatpoint. The LED at thepanel gets it's power from the ECM according to the book. Might as well check that though [:-]

When we took the ECM off the bike and turned it upside down...lots of water came out...not a good sign.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:22 PM
sleepneagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would try the OL's hair dryer on the bar switches first. I suspect moisture.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Detro996
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Newhog

My brother washed his bike yesterday a 2000 Road King, now it wont start. No engine light at start-up, no light on PCIII, changed all of the relays and followed trouble chart in repair manual. We don't have the Harley test block but from what we can determine with a meter and test light everything points to a bad ECM. We took that off and yep water came out of it. We let it dry over night and still same problem. Is it most likely fried or will more time letting this thing dry out possibly bring it back to life? I know I know, elementary question for someone who is mechanically inclined...but it's a bike not a car Maybe the electronics are more forgiving.

Is this anOEM replacement only or does anyoneknow of aused source? One last thing, the bike is modified and as saidhas a PCIII on it, will replacing the ECM require reprogramming and dyno? I know the software is in the PCIII but since every bike is different will anew ECM change the performance it was married to before?

One last question;my bike...is a 99 Ultra...if we swap ECM's to verify his being bad can I damage mine or cause more damage to his since thebikes are not an exact match?
Thanks, Mike
Not sure if the Harleys have atip over sensor, but a few times in the past on my sportbikes when the ECM / PCIIIis dead it has been that the tip over sensor came off it mounting hangar. In both cases it was from cleaning the bike.

Old 02-23-2007, 12:50 PM
AtkRWC
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jumpman

This post is a nice change from the "Are You a RUB" BS.
Kind of like" I just got my first Harley after riding over 3000 miles on a BMW for the last 12 years, question is do you think I can check my own tire pressure or should I take it to the dealer. If I check my own tire pressure will it void the warrentee?"

Old 02-23-2007, 12:57 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How in the heck do you fill the ecm with water washing a bike? Id say if he flooded that much water on it, he may have filled the intake, bikes wont run on water. check your plugs for fire, and some of these guys are giving you advise based on efi systems on newer models, 2001 and back was a different efi system than todays models there are differences.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I doknow from experience that I have poured water out of a 1998ECM and let it dry. Ran fine for years after. It gets water where the plug for the PC goes into the ECM. Notice the rubber boot on the factory plug and no boot on the PC plug. Take an old intertube, slice it in half and lay over ECM plug before tightening the ECM down. this will prevent anymore water from getting in. Dry ECM with hairdryer. Might be fried but I got lucky.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Newhog
Road Captain

Thanks everyone,

It is definitely a bad ECM, I changed it out with the one from my bike and if fired right up…engine light worked as it should as well as all other indicators. We pulled apart the old ECM, cleaned it, sprayed it with electronic cleaner (nothing to loose), tried drying it with a hair dryer, which did not work. So only time well tell.

Anyway we are in the market for an ECM if anyone has one to sell?

The part HD P/N: 32423-99 or 32423-99B

Thanks Again, Mike

Quick Reply: Question for Harley Techs Road King Wont Start