Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cap for gas, dumb ass!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2013, 04:12 PM
digdug
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Cap for gas, dumb ***!

Anyone else do this...just picked up my brand new SG last night. Riding along, probably not even 1000 ft. from the dealership and I look at my guages and it says "miles to empty- 10!' WTF! who doesn't give you a free tank of gas when you buy a new vehicle of any kind?! Anyhoo, I make it to a gas station, fill it up and get home. Now, I've had bikes with flip gas caps that stay attached, bikes that the gas cap comes off but never one that has both a flip (fuel door cover) and a cap that comes off. So, naturally After I filled up I closed the fuel door and went home. About 7 this a.m. I for whatever reason just started thinking that I don't remember going through the motion of screwing on the gas cap...sure enough I go look..no cap. I drove down to the gas station and there it was on the little concrete post where I left it....sweet! Still pissed about not getting a free tank of fuel when you spend $24,000.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

I rest my cap on my seat so that I won't forget.

And I'm betting that somebody forgot to get you gassed up before they gave you the bike. ( Might be good for a gift certificate or something if you ask!)

Old 05-25-2013, 04:25 PM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

lucky no body picked the cap up. yeah, that is a little crazy, having two caps so to speak but the outer is locked so it protects the contents from anybody from messing with it. they sure didn't put much in it if your distance to empty was 10 miles. when you get that low, it goes pretty quick. when i get so it has fifty to go, i look up again and its on 30. be careful if it gets that low again, you might be hoofing it. i try to fill up after i've gone about 210 miles. seems to be about right. glad you found your cap. get over the gas and go ride.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:27 PM
oppirs
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

OP is funny.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:42 PM
Big L
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army
Received 162 Likes on 129 Posts

When they contact you to complete the after sales survey be sure to let the dealership know how you feel. My .02

Old 05-25-2013, 05:35 PM
birdmandave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone posted a while back that they use the cap to cover the fuel nozzle after taking it out of the tank. Keeps any gas from dripping on tank. I have used that since reading it and as soon as the nozzle is back in the pump the cap gets screwed on.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 PM
RoadHog659
Road Master
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Big L
When they contact you to complete the after sales survey be sure to let the dealership know how you feel. My .02
Absolutely! They need to know if their employees are not following thru on the details. The owner knows that little things like that will encourage you to shop elsewhere for your next ride. And if you know the owner, tell him/her personally, too. They will probably thank you for it.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 PM
fathog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by birdmandave
Someone posted a while back that they use the cap to cover the fuel nozzle after taking it out of the tank. Keeps any gas from dripping on tank. I have used that since reading it and as soon as the nozzle is back in the pump the cap gets screwed on.
Great tip using the cap to catch any drips, Thank you.

Old 05-25-2013, 05:45 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

I have left my cap at the station twice. When back a got it once, forgot where I fueled the other time. My old sick brain ain't so good anymore...

Old 05-25-2013, 05:53 PM
basselope
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fathog
Great tip using the cap to catch any drips, Thank you.

I've been opening my saddle bag and laying the cap in the lid. I think I like your idea better. I'll be giving that a try next stop.

Quick Reply: Cap for gas, dumb ass!