Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to brighten up my dash lights?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 157 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Any way to brighten up my dash lights?

My dash lights are horribly dim during the afternoon. At night they're fine but compared to my 09 Crossbones I can barely see if my blinkers are on or if I'm in neutral or not. Anyone know if this is a common problem with older bikes? Mine's an 04 Road King. I want a way to brighten them up a bit without having to buy a whole new dash. Any way to wire in LEDs?

Old 05-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

On my old Ultra Classic, the tiny little yellow "condoms" they put over the bulbs had become brittle and discolored. I pulled all the bulbs out of the back of the gauges, peeled off this part, and they were MUCH brighter. Don't know if its the same setup for the RK or not....

Old 05-24-2013, 06:42 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kadorja
My dash lights are horribly dim during the afternoon. At night they're fine but compared to my 09 Crossbones I can barely see if my blinkers are on or if I'm in neutral or not. Anyone know if this is a common problem with older bikes? Mine's an 04 Road King. I want a way to brighten them up a bit without having to buy a whole new dash. Any way to wire in LEDs?
You could install a LED Wedge bulb into your smaller gauges here is a link to super bright LED's and correct bulbs you need just pic the white or a color if you like. http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/206/

Sorry I don't mod any gauges older than than the 06 model years

Old 05-24-2013, 06:57 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,187 Posts

Do the color LEDs under the same color lens, real bright and look awesome.

Last edited by RANGER73; 05-24-2013 at 06:59 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Superdog3:16 (01-25-2020)
Old 05-24-2013, 07:07 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Denver Dave
On my old Ultra Classic, the tiny little yellow "condoms" they put over the bulbs had become brittle and discolored. I pulled all the bulbs out of the back of the gauges, peeled off this part, and they were MUCH brighter. Don't know if its the same setup for the RK or not....
I'll take a look and see what I can find.

Originally Posted by GaugeMods
You could install a LED Wedge bulb into your smaller gauges here is a link to super bright LED's and correct bulbs you need just pic the white or a color if you like. http://www.superbrightleds.com/morei...edge-base/206/

Sorry I don't mod any gauges older than than the 06 model years
I've used superbright led's before for some bulbs in my old Mustang. Are they plug and play on the older models or do I need to solder them in? I believe you where the first website I checked to change my gauge cluster lol. I do like the different colored look. Trying to see if I can get something to match my teal bike color.

Originally Posted by RANGER73
Do the color LEDs under the same color lens, real bright and look awesome.
Those do look nice. If I can't get the stock ones to get any brighter I'll definitely have to try that out.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:11 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,187 Posts

Ya, when I ordered them I thought the neutral was yellow. Got a green now, also red for the speedo and tach. That I'm putting in this weekend.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

You should be watch'in the road at night !

Old 05-24-2013, 07:47 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

Originally Posted by drukanfu
You should be watch'in the road at night !
They're fine at night it's during the afternoon where I can't tell if my blinker is still on (or even came on) or if I'm in neutral or not without having to move my hand over the lights.

I can see both my dash and the turn signals themselves at night.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I redid my buddies 94 fatboy, his dash lights sucked bigtime. I put the superbright leds in without telling him and he was totally amazed at the difference. As stated use the same color led with the same color lens.

Old 01-25-2020, 03:48 PM
Melichw11
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brighter Dash Lights

Originally Posted by bagman1
I redid my buddies 94 fatboy, his dash lights sucked bigtime. I put the superbright leds in without telling him and he was totally amazed at the difference. As stated use the same color led with the same color lens.
I have a 97 Softail. Do you recall what you did to brighten up your buddies 94 Fatboy.

I pulled out one of the current bulbs to see what it looked like. I killed it. Now it doesn’t work at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Harry

Quick Reply: Any way to brighten up my dash lights?