Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can u soften brakes ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 01:34 PM
CG1884
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can u soften brakes ?

Riding a '12 flhrs with the bembo dual disc front (no abs) and these brakes a very "grabby" - very sensitive - and even tho i try to soft hand them i'm nose diving most of the time. So rather than train an old dog a new trick i was wondering if any of you techies out there know of an after market trick/add on that can reduce the instant responce i'm now getting. I remember seeing a reducer years ago but apparently there gone now - so what you got bros ?

Old 05-23-2013, 01:37 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

could it be that you need to tune front end to reduce the nose dive ?

there is a current thread running on that.

rather than reduce brake effectiveness

mike

Old 05-23-2013, 01:39 PM
Fast Aire
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You didnt say what brand of brake pads you have... maybe stock HD ?
The only way I know is to try different brake pad compounds to get the right feel.
Personally I dont like HD pads so I use Lyndal Gold pads but EBC Kevlars are good too.
There are many different mfgs and compounds out there.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:43 PM
CG1884
6th Gear

Sorry I forgot to add I am using the Gold pads but it was like this with the stock pads too - maybe I'm just hitting it to hard - lol

Old 05-23-2013, 01:56 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 417 Likes on 247 Posts

I'd also suggest thicker fork oil to help reduce dive...also, were the pads properly bedded in after replacement? I've had new pads glaze up if they got too hot too quick after installation...ruins the brake feel.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:32 PM
KiloGolf4
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want spongy brakes that don't work well just offer to trade your brembo set up to someone with an '07 or older touring. MC, lines, calipers, and rotors will get you where you want to be. Front end doesn't dive hard because the brakes don't stop as well and there is a lot of lever travel.

At least, that is why I changed mine over to the brembo system. Now they work too well. LOL!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by KiloGolf4
If you want spongy brakes that don't work well just offer to trade your brembo set up to someone with an '07 or older touring. MC, lines, calipers, and rotors will get you where you want to be. Front end doesn't dive hard because the brakes don't stop as well and there is a lot of lever travel.

At least, that is why I changed mine over to the brembo system. Now they work too well. LOL!
That's what I was about to say. These new touring bikes have the same brakes as a crotch rocket. The older HD's had a suggestion of a brake. I would give it some time. This is what MC brakes are supposed to feel like I believe.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:28 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Enjoy and be thankful for your good brakes. You will get use to them.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 PM
machinehed
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default grabby brakes.

Originally Posted by CG1884
Sorry I forgot to add I am using the Gold pads but it was like this with the stock pads too - maybe I'm just hitting it to hard - lol
Hmmm.?
So its done this with different pads also .?
1) are your forks ok .? Look for fluid leaks and scored tubes etc.
2) are the calipers ok.? Do the pads back off immediately after releasing the brake lever ?
3)are the discs ok.? Check for runout . Check for contamination on the disks by looking for blackish spots or smears on the contact area of the disk.
4) are the master cylinder and flex lines ok.? Check that fluid is returning to the master cyl. after releasing the brake lever by doing step 2 .
Hope this helps .

Old 05-23-2013, 08:59 PM
BEarl
Novice

I noticed the same thing on the demo with ABS and the bike I bought without.I've either gotten used to them or they've improved and settled in after almost 3K miles.

Quick Reply: Can u soften brakes ?