Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checked My Cam Tensioners......

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013 | 06:54 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member

If it was just wear, I would let it go. The small divots coming out would be my concern. The shoe material is starting to come about, not just worn away.
I am far from an expert, but looking at pictures of the shoes, for the last few years, I have noticed two different type of shoe wear, first is they are wearing, inner more than the outer. The other is where the shoe is coming a part in chunks.
Lots of guys cut open thier oil filter, ever oil change and look for chunks.
I bet they would be good to go for awhile, but if it was my engine, I would at least replace the shoes.
I went with the new hydraulic setup, but I was changing cams and doing a bigbore kit at the same time.
Now that you have had your exhaust off, make sure you recheck your flange nuts, after the first few hours of reinstall.

Old 05-22-2013 | 07:33 AM
cubalz
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
When you have the cover off you are not "in there" you are just looking at it. To get "in there" is a major job.
This is like saying while you have the spark plugs out put in new piston rings.
Op did the right thing.
You hit the nail on the head. I could not have said it better myself.

Old 05-22-2013 | 08:01 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tlb
If it was just wear, I would let it go. The small divots coming out would be my concern. The shoe material is starting to come about, not just worn away.
I am far from an expert, but looking at pictures of the shoes, for the last few years, I have noticed two different type of shoe wear, first is they are wearing, inner more than the outer. The other is where the shoe is coming a part in chunks.
Lots of guys cut open thier oil filter, ever oil change and look for chunks.
I bet they would be good to go for awhile, but if it was my engine, I would at least replace the shoes.
I went with the new hydraulic setup, but I was changing cams and doing a bigbore kit at the same time.
Now that you have had your exhaust off, make sure you recheck your flange nuts, after the first few hours of reinstall.
Chunking on these is normal. In all honesty these are not bad at all. It iSync belief that heat causes this.
In all honesty the hybrid kit is not the answer for this especially if you can get 60k out of the stock set up. But that is a different subject.
Op did the right thing.

Old 05-22-2013 | 08:11 AM
Assegai
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by cubalz
You hit the nail on the head. I could not have said it better myself.

One thing we can all agree on is that the Op did the correct thing re: the inspection and that he passed on some useful gen.

Old 05-22-2013 | 08:20 AM
RPS1981
Road Master

The sky is NOT falling. You checked them and they look great. Button it up and ride!

I changed mine out at 42,000 (2006 FLHXI) when it was in for big bore and cams, and even at 42K they looked about like yours. Had a lot of miles left in them.

Old 05-22-2013 | 08:59 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

OP: It's your bike and you buttoned it up short of replacing those tensioners. So be it.
At the very least I would have replaced them. It's just cheap insurance and the least expensive alternative (next to simply ignoring the whole thing).
Those shoes show wear and they very definitely should be replaced. The only thing 'normal' regarding chunking is that it 'normally' means it's time to replace the shoes.
Remember, peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold. Being stuck somewhere a long way from home just makes that peace of mind bell ring even louder.

Old 05-22-2013 | 09:39 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

The front one looks pretty good, the back one I would replace and 'while I'm in there' the front one would be replaced also. How easy do those pop out? I've been hearing members talking about chain slap noise coming from there, is there a way to minimize that?

Old 05-22-2013 | 10:14 AM
CGLTD
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
There is a huge difference between inspecting the tensioners and replacing them both time wise and money wise. Anyone who has replaced them knows there is no “while you are in there” scenario, you are just scratching the surface of this repair when you take off the cover.
Same for the cost.
This bike has thirty k, and it is good for at least another twenty, in all honesty that is the lifetime for most Harleys.
If it’s not broke don’t fix it.
Harley's only last 50K?!

Old 05-22-2013 | 10:41 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by christophgage
Harley's only last 50K?!
No, that is the lifetime of most Harley's, not the life expectancy.
Mine has one fifty thousand miles. These easily do one hundred k most will never see this.

The following users liked this post:
JTM65 (11-21-2022)
Old 05-22-2013 | 10:44 AM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
OP: It's your bike and you buttoned it up short of replacing those tensioners. So be it.
At the very least I would have replaced them. It's just cheap insurance and the least expensive alternative (next to simply ignoring the whole thing).
Those shoes show wear and they very definitely should be replaced. The only thing 'normal' regarding chunking is that it 'normally' means it's time to replace the shoes.
Remember, peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold. Being stuck somewhere a long way from home just makes that peace of mind bell ring even louder.
For peace of mind he should pick option 4 and change the oil every 1000k.
Park it in the living room never drive it;-)

Quick Reply: Checked My Cam Tensioners......