Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When going from a Dyna to a Touring Bike...do you now ride more often or less?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Major Thom
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default When going from a Dyna to a Touring Bike...do you now ride more often or less?

I was talking to someone yesterday who went from a Dyna to a RK, and now back to a Dyna. His explanation was that the RK, or any bagger for that matter, is just more cumbersome to back out of the garage and not as easy to maneuver around town so he found himself actually riding LESS than when he had his Dyna that he could easily "whip around." It just sucks to keep having to muscle this beast around. I just talked to a guy who went from a Night Train to a SG and he said the same thing. "The bigger baggers are more comfy, especially on long trips, but not really as fun to ride around town. I hear all the guys on here say once you get a touring bike you will never go back. So what has your experience been? Anyone else moved up to a bagger and regret it or at least miss your previous, more nimble bikes?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM
dynacop25
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from a 04 dyna superglide to a 12 road king... I ride daily in DC traffic and I find myself riding more now than I did on the dyna. The hard bags offer more storage and I added a tour pak so now I can take the scoot at times when I was unable to take it because of things I had to carry... but I think its all personal preference.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Drat
Road Warrior
Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I went from a SuperGlide to a RoadGlide Ultra. I now ride about 3000 to 4000 more miles per year. I still do my local errands just as I did before. I do not find it to be more cumbersome at all. In fact, with the new frame my RGU is more agile than the SuperGlide was. Yes it is heavier when walking or backing, but with a back rest and using my legs more efficiently, it is still doable and not a problem for me. So in a nutshell, I DO NOT miss my old ride at all. Guess its an individual thing.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 PM
KHauscat
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went from a 1982 FXRS to a 2010 Ultra Classic Limited. It took me a little time to build my confidence in her footing, but now she'll lean into a curve like I want her to.
I ride more. The jacket, gloves, rain suit, etc. are all packed and ready to roll. Back her out, do a pre ride check and go.
My biggest problem is riding it like a sport bike. It kills the gas mileage.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I gifted myself with a Sportster for my 62nd birthday after being without a bike for 25 years. Rode it for a few months, but once my wife started hitchin' rides, I traded it for a FXDS as fast as I could find one. I still own that bike, but added a '07 Road King Classic two months ago. I'm here to tell ya, on the freeway, or anytime I'm over 70, no matter where, The King rules......two up, espically. Since I bought the RK, I pulled off the windshield off the Dyna, and must admit, it's fun jaming down to town and back. To be fair, if most of what I did was city driving, perhaps I'd perfer the Dyna, but for me up here in Montana it's open roads and very light traffic, and hands down, by far a better ride.

Is the Dyna lighter and easier to roll around the garage?....hell yes. In an urban location more manuverable?....Oh, maybe a tad bit. But once your heading down the interstate, it's unfair to compare the two. Going form the Sportster to the Dyna made a big difference in comfort.....but jumping from the Dyna to the Road King was more dramatic still.

If I had to give up one of my bikes, my Dyna would be a faded memory pronto.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:48 PM
Major Thom
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Montana Cowboy
I gifted myself with a Sportster for my 62nd birthday after being without a bike for 25 years. Rode it for a few months, but once my wife started hitchin' rides, I traded it for a FXDS as fast as I could find one. I still own that bike, but added a '07 Road King Classic two months ago. I'm here to tell ya, on the freeway, or anytime I'm over 70, no matter where, The King rules......two up, espically. Since I bought the RK, I pulled off the windshield off the Dyna, and must admit, it's fun jaming down to town and back. To be fair, if most of what I did was city driving, perhaps I'd perfer the Dyna, but for me up here in Montana it's open roads and very light traffic, and hands down, by far a better ride.

Is the Dyna lighter and easier to roll around the garage?....hell yes. In an urban location more manuverable?....Oh, maybe a tad bit. But once your heading down the interstate, it's unfair to compare the two. Going form the Sportster to the Dyna made a big difference in comfort.....but jumping from the Dyna to the Road King was more dramatic still.

If I had to give up one of my bikes, my Dyna would be a faded memory pronto.
How do I convince the OL I need 2 bikes like that? :-)

Old 05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

I don't own a bagger but have rented a few and I find them to be boring. Might as well take the cage and roll down the windows as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:53 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by Major Thom
I was talking to someone yesterday who went from a Dyna to a RK, and now back to a Dyna. His explanation was that the RK, or any bagger for that matter, is just more cumbersome to back out of the garage and not as easy to maneuver around town so he found himself actually riding LESS than when he had his Dyna that he could easily "whip around." It just sucks to keep having to muscle this beast around. I just talked to a guy who went from a Night Train to a SG and he said the same thing. "The bigger baggers are more comfy, especially on long trips, but not really as fun to ride around town. I hear all the guys on here say once you get a touring bike you will never go back. So what has your experience been? Anyone else moved up to a bagger and regret it or at least miss your previous, more nimble bikes?
I'm sorry but this is just being a whining little bitch to me.. What a joke... Not as fun to ride around town ? Really ??? Whatever...
There's no arguing that my Dyna was easier to maneuver but c'mon. Too much trouble to ride...NO

I am fortunate enough that my wife has a Street Bob which I can still ride. It's a great bike but every time I ride it I still can't wait to get back on my Street Glide. So to answer your question, do I ever regret or miss my previous bike (Super Glide Custom)..? NOT AT ALL !

Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 865 Likes on 542 Posts

Originally Posted by Major Thom
How do I convince the OL I need 2 bikes like that? :-)
Ask for forgiveness Once you get it home. Or Take her for a ride and let her decide which one is more comfy!

"Think" + be "Sly" = "Happy"

Bonus* baggers can change from Hot rods to touring beast in minutes!

Good Luck,

YB

Old 05-20-2013, 07:17 PM
Keeper01
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went from an 06 Street Bob to my Street Glide. I rode the Dyna everyday and I ride the SG everyday too. The SG is heavier, but more comfortable and I can still ride it hard like I did with the Dyna.

Quick Reply: When going from a Dyna to a Touring Bike...do you now ride more often or less?