Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When going from a Dyna to a Touring Bike...do you now ride more often or less?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Montana Cowboy
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Major Thom
How do I convince the OL I need 2 bikes like that? :-)
Well for me, I just kept thinking about places I figured my little gal would get a kick out of going, and kept stretchin' out the distance. Mama could only stand a few tankfulls on the Dyna. She likes the Road King as much as I do, cause of how much more comfortable the seat and passanger floorboards are for her. I also now have much bigger bags and a tour pack that I can snap on if we need the room. Truthfully I was thinking of using the Dyna for a trade,but as bad as we'da gotton ripped....it was her idea to keep it....so I didn't argue!!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Major Thom
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You guys are lucky men. However, my 06 SB is paid in full and I like not having a bike payment. Especially in these economic times. I'm also still trying to talk my wife into getting on the Dyna even though I have bought a more comfy seat, backrest, saddlebags, and a helmet for her.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:31 PM
louisianaSVT2001
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went from 11WG to 13 FLTRX, we are riding more but we were riding a lot to begin with. So easy to travel on the Road Glide!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:34 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

The more I added the more I rode. It did not matter if it was a cruiser or touring. I decided to have one or more of each family of HD's.

Told my wife that they all had different feel and personalities so I needed each one.

If I'm reading the paper or magazine she asks "Aren't you going for a ride?"

Now I've trapped myself. I do 30K plus in 12 months and have to ride winter and summer.

It's a dirty job but someone's got to do it.

I have no problem with the RGC or Ultra whipping around in town. In some ways it is better in that the front turns without flopping over center like cruisers. There is a sharp corner two blocks from my house. When I take it at 30 on the Super Glide the muffler support brackets drag. On the RGC it goes 35 as smooth as silk. The inertia of the weight is an asset when you learn how to use it. I'm only 72 so when I get old a bagger may be harder to handle.

I would like to see the riders that claim the Dyna is a better bike for handling try to match the riders in the Ride Like a Pro video's.

Last edited by lh4x4; 05-20-2013 at 11:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2013, 07:35 PM
claytucc3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No regrets for me. I commute in Los Angeles traffic and go on numerous long rides. Having rode to Sturgis on both a dyna and my SG from L.A. I will have to say with 100% certainty the touring models are awesome!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:52 PM
mainboom150
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

people who say a touring bike isnt as fun are full of it. i went from a suzuki cruizer to a street glide. i can ride it longer. i can corner just as good if not better then i did on the suzuki. i have freinds who says oh this bike is to big. they are scared of it scared to lean the bike over... scared to get on it in traffic... a touring bike is like a cadillac with a rocket engine. if you think someone wont hear or see you put bigger pipes on. but from what i have seen its all an excuse because they are scared of the bike. and sure its heavyer i have to back mine out of my garage between mine and the wife vehicles so im backing about 30 ft but i dont cry about it.. and during the riding months i dont drive my cage unless i have to so i ride way more on my bagger then i did my other bike

Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 PM
TeamMudd
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

from an 07 street bob, to a 12 ultra classic.... riding WAY more just in the last few weeks!

with the added cargo space (touring pack and hard bags can carry more then you think!)... i don't hessitate to jump on it to head to "red-nek wonderland" or even good ol Tractor supply (granted i have a rough idea of how big the item i'm getting is)!

Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

No doubt about it, have ridden each bike a heck of a lot, no matter what it was. Currently have a RG and by far, enjoy it the most. Never once have I thought, damn, too big, going to take the car to the hardware store or parents house. One thing that may come into play is age and experience. No doubt about it, the touring bikes are bigger but, if you understand your bike and know how to ride it, not different that the Honda 600 I started on 28 years ago.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:12 PM
troop8520
Cruiser

Well I had a dyna paid off! Put 1500 miles on it, traded it for touring bike.... I don't like having a bike payment, but now the wife and I are comfortable, and we/I ride daily. It's a completely different world on the big bike.... We find places to ride to, where we were lucky to take the dyna out once a month.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:15 PM
grout
Novice

"05" Street Bob to a "08" Glide Classic. I make up excuses to ride the "bagger". Fun to ride and really a pretty nimble scoot.

Quick Reply: When going from a Dyna to a Touring Bike...do you now ride more often or less?