Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

planned amp upgrade good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 05:15 PM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Question planned amp upgrade good or bad?

I have a 2008 ultra with front and rear boom speakers. they are staying on the bike. They sound good to me but i want that little extra ummph going around 70 mph . Sometimes the sounds are somewhat low at that speed. I don't want to crank it up to the point of distortion. So i have read the Hog tunes amp NCA 160 would be a good fit.. I did some research and found the CVO Harleys have a 160 watt amp with the booms. I would assume I shold be the same with this amp. I'm going to Laconia this year (again) and plan on getting it there and installing it while im up there. I know the MSRP is 350 bucks which seems high but it is plug and play and seems to fit nicely as shown on their install video. So how many of you have this setup and do you have any fm radio reception issues that I have read about? Also how do you like the sound increase and do you think it is worth the $$. What did you pay for the amp and hopefully a retailer at Laconia will have the price a little lower than MSRP. thanks for your help. Jeff

Old 05-19-2013, 05:29 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

If ya are stuck on the boom stuff why don't ya just get the boom amp? Hogtunes/Arc/Biketronics all make decent plug and play amps. Pick one, if that's what ya want. Check out the audio section.

Old 05-19-2013, 11:16 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell, you can buy a great amp with new speakers for the price of just that amp and get twice the power. Check out the audio forum-you won't be sorry.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman6
I have a 2008 ultra with front and rear boom speakers. they are staying on the bike. They sound good to me but i want that little extra ummph going around 70 mph . Sometimes the sounds are somewhat low at that speed. I don't want to crank it up to the point of distortion. So i have read the Hog tunes amp NCA 160 would be a good fit.. I did some research and found the CVO Harleys have a 160 watt amp with the booms. I would assume I shold be the same with this amp. I'm going to Laconia this year (again) and plan on getting it there and installing it while im up there. I know the MSRP is 350 bucks which seems high but it is plug and play and seems to fit nicely as shown on their install video. So how many of you have this setup and do you have any fm radio reception issues that I have read about? Also how do you like the sound increase and do you think it is worth the $$. What did you pay for the amp and hopefully a retailer at Laconia will have the price a little lower than MSRP. thanks for your help. Jeff
The harsh response,Jeff, is that you wasted your $$$ on the Boom speakers. Continuing with them is throwing good money after bad. Put your money in your pocket, visit the audio forum and go from there.

Carl

Old 05-20-2013, 04:14 PM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

its funny, I scoured the forums many times over before upgrading the speakers and most people said the booms were the best bang for the buck. So I went with those. Now i'm hearing I wasted my money. Oh well I got em now so ill have to make do. I just thought some guys had that setup i was talking about.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 PM
Pioneer74
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The amp you are looking at is probably the best one for the speakers you have. You can get it ~ $100 cheaper on a few sites, but you would have to do the install yourself.

Boom speakers, IMHO, are a good speaker if you don't really intend to add an amp. They are also the speaker that should have came standard with the bike.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:00 PM
claytucc3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have the Boom speakers and am looking to add an amp. My buddy has the same bike as me with a hog-tunes amp and 6.5" speakers and he can hear my setup over his while riding side by side.

Old 05-20-2013, 07:28 PM
MontyCop05
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Pioneer74
The amp you are looking at is probably the best one for the speakers you have. You can get it ~ $100 cheaper on a few sites, but you would have to do the install yourself.

Boom speakers, IMHO, are a good speaker if you don't really intend to add an amp. They are also the speaker that should have came standard with the bike.
Completely agree. I had the booms on my bike and wasn't happy with them. I started scouring the forums and ended up selling the booms and went with a whole new system recommended by Ultranutz. Same as yours actually.

To the OP: as stated the amp your looking at is probably the best for what your asking for, however also as stated, your spending a lot of money to end up 1/10 the sound quality you could get building your own with the same or less money. I'm honestly not trying to discourage you or make you feel bad about your choice, I'm just informing you of your options. Thats why this forum is great. You can learn so much and save time and money by learning from others experiences.