Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many wear Mesh jackets with Armor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 10:27 AM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,714 Likes on 1,372 Posts

I have the a Power Trip perforated leather and mesh jacket that came with armor. Good looking, comfortable and not expensive. It came with a rain jacket liner that makes a great windbreak on those cooler mornings before the heat starts climbing. I have matching pants and I can wear shorts and a tee shirt under the perforated leather and mesh.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:34 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

I have a Tourmaster armoured mesh jacket that I use once it gets good and hot as my commuter jacket. I love it.

Old 05-18-2013, 12:38 PM
CashMoney
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While probably not the best protection I've got the Harley jacket that's got I think three layers. Ones a shell that comes out of the inside and then there's the main mesh jacket with the outsides that has another section that unzips to an open mesh deal for when its hot. It came with all the armor pads except I think one. You can also put those cooling sponge looking things in it to help keep you cool. It's probably not as great as some of the jackets out there as far as protection but its decent and the versatility of it was what I was after

Old 05-18-2013, 12:49 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleycruiser
Yea, joe rocket. Hit a deer last year before I got it, let the jacket take the damage, easy to replace.
Originally Posted by rwtrick
I do and glad I do.. Last year I crashed, I broke some ribs, but without the jacket, helmet, gloves & boots it would have been much worse.
I'm with these guys. I wear a textile mesh jacket with armor when it is too warm for leather. Last year, I hit a deer as well - went down at about 45 mph. The bike slid 85 feet until it went off of the road into a ditch and I slid about 35 feet on the pavement before I ended up in the grass on the shoulder. Both the bike and the deer were totaled but I was able to limp away. I slid far enough my heavy HD brand boot leather had completely worn through and I got some road rash on one foot. The jacket looked like it had gone through a wood chipper, but there was only one spot on my upper body that even needed a bandaid. I'm a believer.

I use a relatively inexpensive jacket made by Fulmer. It was about $120 at a local Indy shop near here. It has removable armor in the elbows, shoulders, and middle of the back.The jacket is textile mesh with a zip-out waterproof and insulated liner. Both the jacket and the liner have a cell phone pocket. You can wear it with the liner on those cool mornings and take the liner out when it warms up. It does get warm sitting in traffic, but I've found it to be comfortable without the liner at temps in the high 90's as long as you are moving. And it does help limit sun exposure.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:07 PM
jbc1200
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought an exelement mesh jacket from leatherup.com a while back and it was junk. $50 wasted. The pads move all around and the material is super cheap feeling.

I bought a Speed and Strength mesh armored jacket today from a local shop for $150 and it seems really well made and sturdy for the price. It goes pretty well with my black full face helmet too.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by LeadSSled
I'm with these guys. I wear a textile mesh jacket with armor when it is too warm for leather. Last year, I hit a deer as well - went down at about 45 mph. The bike slid 85 feet until it went off of the road into a ditch and I slid about 35 feet on the pavement before I ended up in the grass on the shoulder. Both the bike and the deer were totaled but I was able to limp away. I slid far enough my heavy HD brand boot leather had completely worn through and I got some road rash on one foot. The jacket looked like it had gone through a wood chipper, but there was only one spot on my upper body that even needed a bandaid. I'm a believer.
We should start a deer killer club, yea we all think it will never happen to us.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:53 PM
jbc1200
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, did you mess up your face too? I'd hate to go down without a FF helmet.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:54 PM
lumper
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best thing I ever bought for riding.

A leather mesh/fully vented with removable liner, so its good in heat or cold, with armor, reflective material you cant see unless lights hit it, and all sorts of design features that make it perfect for riding.
I absolutely love my jacket
Bought it in 2006 at Americade bike rally in Lake George.

I bought mine for 350$ 7 years ago and I wear it every time I ride, it is super high quality and has tons of things about the design and stretch points, padded back, kidney protection, etc.. I swear I could work for these guys I like it so much.

http://roadgear.com/perforated-leath...ket-p-114.html

I never see any on the road and everyone who checks mine out says they love it.

It is a Road Gear jacket, they make matching pants and chaps too.
Here is a link.

http://roadgear.com/perforated-leath...ket-p-114.html

Thing is it is as cool in hot weather as a mesh but the leather is very thick and will protect against road rash as well or better than anything out there.
Cant say enough about my Road gear jacket.

Lump

Old 05-18-2013, 03:12 PM
Major Thom
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mesh jackets and armor is for pussies. You guys need to get a crotch rocket if you want to wear those girly clothes. Just kidding, I have one I got from Cycle Gear on sale for $99, reg $159. It is their brand. It has a removable liner. To be honest, I haven't worn it that much. It has a short waist I'm not crazy about, but is at least black with an orange trim. I need to wear it more often.

Old 05-18-2013, 03:13 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have a leather jacket with removable front panel that includes the front of each arm. Remove the panel and the front is all mesh. I also have a heated jacket liner. Hot or cold this combination (with rain gear) is great in any weather condition.

Last edited by ynots; 05-18-2013 at 03:15 PM.

Quick Reply: How many wear Mesh jackets with Armor?