Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 air cleaner questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013 | 01:47 PM
Tedjay
|
Road Captain
Default Stage 1 air cleaner questions

I've been looking online at the HD SE Stage 1 air cleaner kit (29260-08) and the Arlen Ness Big Sucker Stage 1 (18-510) for my 2012 RK. Mostly reading instructions and watching YouTube install videos. I have a few questions I'm hoping you can help answer so I can better figure out which will work best for me.

1. Both kits (except for price) look identical to me from the pictures. Are they?

2. Both of the kits eliminate the little black breather tubes. I figure whatever flows through the tubes was leaving one part of the engine for a reason. Where does the stuff that used to flow through the tubes go? Are there drawbacks to not having the breather tubes anymore?

3. From the videos, both kits look relatively easy to install. I've read the SE requires the removal of a bracket which can require the gas tank to be lifted or removed in order to reach the screws, whereas Big Sucker keeps the bracket. I would expect this gives the Big Sucker an advantage on install. Is that enough to make Big Sucker the clear winner in your eyes?

4. I've read here that some people have had Big Sucker leave oil residue but others with the Big Sucker have not. Has anyone had the SE leave oil residue? Or does the SE design eliminate the potential for oil residue?

5. Is the back plate at all visible if I use the stock football air cleaner cover or does the stock cover completely cover it? That will help me decide if I should get a chrome plate or cast.

Thanks!

Last edited by Tedjay; 05-17-2013 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added a question
Old 05-17-2013 | 01:56 PM
firemeat
Advanced

I use the S&S stealth AC. Same style as both those. I still use stock cover, so the throttle body harness isn't exposed. No residue problems. Cleans like a K&N filter

Old 05-17-2013 | 01:59 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

the cast grey looks crap next to the black and chrome motor, the backing plate is visible where it attaches to the heads

the ness was my choice for a number of reasons

ease of install, price (mine was $114 shipped from easternpc on ebay), oiled washable reusable filter and the chrome backing plate.
the gas tank stays in place, but tape the bottom of the tank in case your wrench slips

I have the S/E on a number of older bikes- back then it was a value, and came with a K&N filter....not anymore.

the breather tubes are replaced by passages in the backing plate

condensing oil drips are more likely with an open style air cleaner- many of us run the oil level a pint low.
once in a while i wipe out the bottom of the oval cover...that's about it.

other have problems due to the quality of install, overfilling, poor mechanical condition or other factors such as over-oiling the filter media...

an advantage of re-using the oval cover is that the servo plug of the throttle body ( 7 o'clock) is hidden

almost all the high flow air cleaners will flow more air than the motor can demand- so performance wise it is a wash ( an exception is the "hypeCharger")

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-17-2013 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-17-2013 | 02:08 PM
Hausguy
Road Master

Originally Posted by Tedjay
5. Is the back plate at all visible if I use the stock football air cleaner cover or does the stock cover completely cover it? That will help me decide if I should get a chrome plate or cast.
I'm thinking that if down the line you want to change to the smaller round cover, the plate will be exposed. For the extra $10 I'd go with the chrome.

Old 05-17-2013 | 02:19 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm running the ness ac and haven't had any issues with oil residue. I don't run a pint low

Old 05-17-2013 | 04:12 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

I'm not running mine low but right up to the full mark, just had to modify the venting right into the TB. Been working flawlessly for couple thousand miles.

Old 05-18-2013 | 08:35 AM
Tedjay
|
Road Captain

Thanks everyone for your insight. Very helpful!

I bought the Ness Big Sucker yesterday and installed it today. I stuck with the stock oval cover. Also installed a set of XIEDs at the same time. Went out for a 50 mile scoot (city / hwy) and all appears well. No oil residue that I could see.

mkguitar and hausguy thanks for recommending the chrome backing plate. I went with the chrome and I'm happy I did.

Last edited by Tedjay; 05-19-2013 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Installed Big Sucker today