Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a problem no one can fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013 | 02:25 PM
MikeBel
|
Stellar HDF Member
Default Got a problem no one can fix

Fear. My wife's fear. Plain and simple.

I was riding last November with my wife and we wrecked. Not too serious; she broke an ankle and I got banged up but not bad at all. Bike got totalled.

About 30 days later I had a '12 RKC in the garage. I did everything to it to make it safer for us; lowered it, new bars, better lighting, etc. I even took the Ride Like A Pro course.

My wife, who used to love to go for rides with me and has gone on about 3 short rides on the RKC, now can't get past the fear of another accident and is hanging up the leathers at least temporarily. She just told me this today.

Riding was something we both loved to do. It is killing me inside that she's having so much trouble with this. I'm being totally supportive. I know she wants to enjoy it again but she just can't right now. I hope this passes. I intend to keep riding, but it'll somewhat suck without her.

Others have probaby been through this also. I'm not looking for an answer 'cause I know she's the only one who can overcome this.

Thanks for listening.

Old 05-15-2013 | 02:30 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MikeBel
I did everything to it to make it safer for us; lowered it, new bars, .
Good luck with the wife. That is going to be a lot for her to overcome.

How do lowering it and bars make it safer?

Old 05-15-2013 | 02:32 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Give her the time she needs man. She will either come around or she will decide that she would rather not ride. I get the feeling that you might have perceived that it had evolved into a trust issue after the get-off. Good move to take the RLAP couse...none better.

You can always ride that bike alone. Maybe she would like a small lake or creek boat. There's always something you can configure that you can do together.

My wife wont' ride because of back problems. So I feel your pain.

Old 05-15-2013 | 02:32 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member

Support her decision and give it a little time. Ask her if she minds you asking her if she wants to come along when you go out and promise if she says no that you will go out solo and not ask twice in the same day.

The more you come back in one piece with a smile on your face the sooner she will say yes.

Women are funny..if you push the issue she will not want to hop on. If you let it go, she is going to surprise you with a yes sooner then she thinks.

My wife never intended to get on my first bike when I got it and I was OK with that. I would ask her every time I took off if she wanted to go and she would say no and I would take off. It almost started to become a joke and I would actually be laughing when I asked. One day she said yes and she has loved it ever since.

Last edited by rooti; 05-15-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-15-2013 | 02:44 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm not trying to be a dick, but we're you an unskilled or low-skilled rider when you wrecked? If so, she's gonna need to see some skills before she's gonna feel comfortable behind you again. I tell any woman that gets behind me 'your life is now in my hands, if you're not ok with that, I fully understand'. And I've been riding for 35
Years. My ol knows that I'm skilled, and without a doubt, I have a lot to live for. My daughter is 4, and if for no other reason, I'm not gonna leave her without a father. All that said, it's gonna take time, and only she knows how long...

Old 05-15-2013 | 02:51 PM
doc ock
Road Master

Back in the day you couldn't get my wife OFF the bike. She told me stories about riding with anyone, just to ride. Now I can't seem to get her on the bike. Only time is when it's a short ride, less than 100 miles. She will never go on a road trip, camping. I like riding solo, but once in a while I wouldn't mind taking her along. She is the reason I bought the EG, in fact she wanted me to by a RK but I like the fairing and less chrome.

Old 05-15-2013 | 03:02 PM
Suntower
Road Master

Originally Posted by jus2anoyu
I'm not trying to be a dick, but we're you an unskilled or low-skilled rider when you wrecked? If so, she's gonna need to see some skills before she's gonna feel comfortable behind you again.
Agreed on this and as said above... it sounds like it might be a trust issue rather than a fear issue.

Also as others said... no offense intended at all. It can still be a trust issue even if you're the safest rider to ever saddle up.

My ex just about got punted off my old Roadstar once when I hit a ditch in the road out in the middle of the desert. Freaked her out and she didn't wanna ride with me anymore. It happens.

Might not be a bad idea to have your wife take the beginner MSF class... even if she doesn't want to ride (when she's ready of course). It'll increase her comfort in the saddle.

Old 05-15-2013 | 03:02 PM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member

sorry to hear your story. but be prepared for a long wait - my gf had a car wreck a year/half ago and still gets nervous approaching intersections if there is another car in sight...

Old 05-15-2013 | 03:10 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Sounds like a name for a riding group...."WWR Riders" (Wife won't ride Riders)

Old 05-15-2013 | 03:15 PM
NascarGuy
Supporter

Originally Posted by Suntower

Might not be a bad idea to have your wife take the beginner MSF class... even if she doesn't want to ride (when she's ready of course). It'll increase her comfort in the saddle.
I think maybe her taking a MSF class would cover two things. Making her a better passenger and to help her understand all that is going on for the rider. I have heard many women from my HOG chapter who are passengers that have taken the class say they have a better understanding of all that is going on. Could be a win-win. Would definitely be a good confidence builder for her.

Just my .02

Quick Reply: Got a problem no one can fix