Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a problem no one can fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013 | 10:24 PM
Sire2Twins
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Fear. My wife's fear. Plain and simple.

I was riding last November with my wife and we wrecked. Not too serious; she broke an ankle and I got banged up but not bad at all. Bike got totalled.

About 30 days later I had a '12 RKC in the garage. I did everything to it to make it safer for us; lowered it, new bars, better lighting, etc. I even took the Ride Like A Pro course.

My wife, who used to love to go for rides with me and has gone on about 3 short rides on the RKC, now can't get past the fear of another accident and is hanging up the leathers at least temporarily. She just told me this today.

Riding was something we both loved to do. It is killing me inside that she's having so much trouble with this. I'm being totally supportive. I know she wants to enjoy it again but she just can't right now. I hope this passes. I intend to keep riding, but it'll somewhat suck without her.

Others have probaby been through this also. I'm not looking for an answer 'cause I know she's the only one who can overcome this.

Thanks for listening.

Got rear-ended sitting at a stop light a few years ago with the wife on the back. She bent backward over the passenger backrest and messed up her back, but not seriously. In the exact same situation myself, so this is one that I can say that I know exactly how you feel. Was one of the things we both enjoyed together.

Old 05-19-2013 | 12:27 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by rooti
Support her decision and give it a little time. Ask her if she minds you asking her if she wants to come along when you go out and promise if she says no that you will go out solo and not ask twice in the same day.

The more you come back in one piece with a smile on your face the sooner she will say yes.

Women are funny..if you push the issue she will not want to hop on. If you let it go, she is going to surprise you with a yes sooner then she thinks.
+1, totally agree

Originally Posted by RoadGlideGary
Completely understand. I would not want to be one the back of a bike either. Give her time and see if she has an interest in being in control of her situation by taking a rider class and having her own bike. Way more control and enjoyment when you are the driver.

+1 here too, very much agree. Just don't try to be too pushy about her taking a class. Women tend to dig their heels in even harder when they feel like they are being prodded too much about something.

After having my bike license for 13 years now I will admit that I'm a terrible passenger. I'd much rather be in control of my own bike.

I also wonder if there is any outside influence causing her fear, such as a relative, friend or coworker who is anti-motorcycle telling her horror stories about how bikes kill. I get that sometimes, "aren't you afraid you'll be killed" well not anymore afraid than me dieing by slipping in falling in the shower. (Slip and falls account for over 20,000 fatalities per year in North America. It is the second leading cause of accidental death and disability after automobile accidents.)

Old 05-19-2013 | 11:05 AM
MikeBel
|
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Just a thought here Mike. Maybe it would help if you didn't belittle her feelings by calling it a "Not too serious" wreck. Obviously it was serious to her. She could be thinking you are not taking this seriously enough and she cannot trust you. Having to face the fear is bad enough, you do not want to add trust issues to it.
Here's another thought; you sir are an idiot. Which part of my post where I said "I totally support my wife" didn't you understand? The " not too serious" statement was a reference to not sustaining extreme injuries; obviously this was traumatic to my wife and myself, but we were relatively lucky.

Belittling? Where did you get that from? I never have and never would do this to my wife, and never wrote or implied this happened. I suggest you get a better grip on the english language, choose your words much more carefully and stop fabricating **** to make your opinion seem relavent.

I'm a very easy going guy, but when you start making crap up on how I treat my wife you've crossed the line and have pissed me off.

For the rest of the armchair "Dr. Phil's" out there who question my riding experience and bring up "lack of trust issues", I've been riding for over over 25 years, taken the MSF course, ridden tens of thousands of miles and have never wrecked till this one. If she didn't trust me she never would have gotten back on the bike for these last few post-accident rides. That is a fact. I know my wife. If she didn't trust me, she'd just flat out say so.

Thanks to all the other posters who expressed intelligent opinions, and best of luck to those in a similar position.

Last edited by MikeBel; 05-19-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2013 | 11:39 AM
DPelletier
Tourer

Originally Posted by osudvm
I bought a 2009 Ultra Classic in November for my wife and I to enjoy together. She loves riding and we have not had any issues, not even a close call. If we did and she said she was too scared to ride, I would sell the bike and move on. If we can't enjoy it together then we will exit the plan to enjoy riding in retirement. I didn't get the bike for just me to ride. If I get to the point I am always worrying, I will sell it for that reason too. All the enjoyment would be gone at that point anyway.
I'm in the same boat; I bought my Electraglide for me and my wife. If she decides not to ride for any reason (including she's just not having fun) then the bike goes and we'll find something else to do together.

I've been riding for almost 40 years and I'll always have some sort of bike but a full blown touring bike wouldn't be in the cards if my wife didn't want to join me; probably just ride my dual sport or buy something more suitable for the around town stuff that I'd likely do myself.

To the OP, my advice would be not to push or even ask; she'll let you now when (or if) she's ready to ride again.

Dave

Old 05-19-2013 | 07:18 PM
C908
Road Warrior

My feeling has always been since I truely love to ride I'm willing to take the risk that goes along with it. My wife on the other hand tried riding and decided she didn't like the wind, sun and traffic next to the bike. I decided not to try and get her to ride anymore because I would feel terible if something happened and she got hurt doing something she really didn't want to do. Sometimes it just works out that couples don't share the same passion for riding. It's to bad when that's the case but it shouldn't be the end for the person that has the passion.It's kind of funny I have four buddies I take yearly road trips with and none of their wives like to ride.