Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a problem no one can fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2013 | 08:30 AM
cohoosier
Advanced

My wife quit riding once she got pregnant and since having the baby doesn't really want us both on the bike just in case plus living near Boston and all the idiot drivers around here doesn't help her cause.....So I got rid of the big Footboards and bought a solo seat.

Old 05-18-2013 | 08:45 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Black Gator
You thought about counseling?
Went to conselor since wife hasn't spoke to me for a month, thinking of divorce. He said better think twice, good women like that are hard too find. Just kidding.

Old 05-18-2013 | 09:12 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior

My wife won't get on the bike after getting on the Palisades Pkwy and doing the speed limit. I had her on about a month ago and she was totally terrified and I had to get off the nearest exit. She use to like going on short rides but as she gets older she seems to be scared of riding more and more. Hope it works out for you

Old 05-18-2013 | 09:30 AM
Microbomb
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Sounds like a name for a riding group...."WWR Riders" (Wife won't ride Riders)
I'm in that group....wait...are we still talking about motorcycles?

Old 05-18-2013 | 09:31 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a thought here Mike. Maybe it would help if you didn't belittle her feelings by calling it a "Not too serious" wreck. Obviously it was serious to her. She could be thinking you are not taking this seriously enough and she cannot trust you. Having to face the fear is bad enough, you do not want to add trust issues to it.

Last edited by jjnoble; 05-18-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-18-2013 | 10:36 AM
kdodd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Fear. My wife's fear. Plain and simple.

I was riding last November with my wife and we wrecked. Not too serious; she broke an ankle and I got banged up but not bad at all. Bike got totalled.

About 30 days later I had a '12 RKC in the garage. I did everything to it to make it safer for us; lowered it, new bars, better lighting, etc. I even took the Ride Like A Pro course.

My wife, who used to love to go for rides with me and has gone on about 3 short rides on the RKC, now can't get past the fear of another accident and is hanging up the leathers at least temporarily. She just told me this today.

Riding was something we both loved to do. It is killing me inside that she's having so much trouble with this. I'm being totally supportive. I know she wants to enjoy it again but she just can't right now. I hope this passes. I intend to keep riding, but it'll somewhat suck without her.

Others have probaby been through this also. I'm not looking for an answer 'cause I know she's the only one who can overcome this.

Thanks for listening.
Time heals, more and more shorts rides should build her confidence up. I think she will ride again in time. A wreck is a scary thing to get by.

Old 05-18-2013 | 08:00 PM
Expat1
Road Master
From: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.

I would recommend not to make her feel she's responsible for making you wait to ride with her again. Walk a few hours together to let good vibrations do their work. Walking is a soft therapy

Old 05-18-2013 | 09:37 PM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Fear. My wife's fear. Plain and simple.

I was riding last November with my wife and we wrecked. Not too serious; she broke an ankle and I got banged up but not bad at all. Bike got totalled.

About 30 days later I had a '12 RKC in the garage. I did everything to it to make it safer for us; lowered it, new bars, better lighting, etc. I even took the Ride Like A Pro course.

My wife, who used to love to go for rides with me and has gone on about 3 short rides on the RKC, now can't get past the fear of another accident and is hanging up the leathers at least temporarily. She just told me this today.

Riding was something we both loved to do. It is killing me inside that she's having so much trouble with this. I'm being totally supportive. I know she wants to enjoy it again but she just can't right now. I hope this passes. I intend to keep riding, but it'll somewhat suck without her.

Others have probaby been through this also. I'm not looking for an answer 'cause I know she's the only one who can overcome this.

Thanks for listening.
I bought a 2009 Ultra Classic in November for my wife and I to enjoy together. She loves riding and we have not had any issues, not even a close call. If we did and she said she was too scared to ride, I would sell the bike and move on. If we can't enjoy it together then we will exit the plan to enjoy riding in retirement. I didn't get the bike for just me to ride. If I get to the point I am always worrying, I will sell it for that reason too. All the enjoyment would be gone at that point anyway.

Old 05-18-2013 | 09:42 PM
osudvm
Tourer

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
Get a TriGlide
This!! I just posted about my Ultra Classic and if my wife was scared of the two wheels I would see what she thought about the TriGlide before I totally gave up riding. That is a great alternative. Great advice.

Old 05-18-2013 | 10:09 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior

I thought the advice about getting a trike was good, as well.

Could be either a trike or perhaps even a Can-Am Spyder...

Quick Reply: Got a problem no one can fix