Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a problem no one can fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013 | 05:39 PM
basselope
Road Captain

Its been danced around but not really said... maybe the MSF or Harley Rider's Edge course and her own bike! Being in control might give her the comfort she needs. With a good com system you both might find a new level of fun!

Just thinking out loud here: I suppose its different for most of us guys who have either never or rarely been the default passenger... we just always expect to be the one in control and never consider just being along for the ride. I know I always feel a little apprehensive when, on long trips, I hand over the keys to my truck and the 30ft trailer behind it to one of the other guys because, you know, every one of them would rather drive than just tag along, so we switch up. I can't say I distrust their skills - I'm just more comfortable when I'm behind the wheel - particularly on the WV Turnpike with all of its hills and curves. I imagine I'd feel the same way about the scoot.

Old 05-15-2013 | 06:05 PM
wndchsr2
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Fear. My wife's fear. Plain and simple.

I was riding last November with my wife and we wrecked. Not too serious; she broke an ankle and I got banged up but not bad at all. Bike got totalled.

About 30 days later I had a '12 RKC in the garage. I did everything to it to make it safer for us; lowered it, new bars, better lighting, etc. I even took the Ride Like A Pro course.

My wife, who used to love to go for rides with me and has gone on about 3 short rides on the RKC, now can't get past the fear of another accident and is hanging up the leathers at least temporarily. She just told me this today.

Riding was something we both loved to do. It is killing me inside that she's having so much trouble with this. I'm being totally supportive. I know she wants to enjoy it again but she just can't right now. I hope this passes. I intend to keep riding, but it'll somewhat suck without her.

Others have probaby been through this also. I'm not looking for an answer 'cause I know she's the only one who can overcome this.

Thanks for listening.
No one can help her overcome that fear but her. I had a bad wreck out in Texas many years ago......Fixed the bike but it just wasnt the same so I sold it, an act I have regretted ever since.

I was without a bike for two years which was the worst two years of my life........She will have to get over that fear on her own and no one can do it for her. Maybe she will and maybe she wont........Up to her either way.

Old 05-15-2013 | 06:16 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member

You have to respect her feelings and just ride solo - either until she feels comfortable riding again or else from now on.

The LAST thing you want to do is to try and force the issue!!

Old 05-15-2013 | 06:33 PM
Suntower
Road Master

Originally Posted by basselope
Its been danced around but not really said... maybe the MSF or Harley Rider's Edge course and her own bike! Being in control might give her the comfort she needs.
Careful with that... I did the same thing. Just hinted to the ex and let her take the decisions from there. Eventually bought her a learner bike... she took the MSF course... practiced a lot... started riding the 3 miles to work. First time we rode together, she ran into a curb and ended up on the ground.

Wanna guess who's fault that was?

Old 05-15-2013 | 06:41 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

I'm sorry, but motorcycles are dangerous! If you haven't crashed, you will. If you have crashed, you will again. It is a fact! I don't care how good/safe a rider ya think ya are. When ya crash, it will hurt! If you or your passenger isn't ok with that, ya might rethink riding.

Old 05-15-2013 | 07:31 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

get a new wife! no i'm just kidding my wife use to ride all the time, couldn't get out without her. now days she rarely goes. i even bought a new streetgilde and she went for a ride 1 time and that was it.i go all the time .but it wouldn't be bad if she would go once in awhile. she prefers the heritage over the streetgilde.

Old 05-17-2013 | 10:11 PM
marines267
Tourer

Originally Posted by MikeBel
Fear. My wife's fear. Plain and simple.

I was riding last November with my wife and we wrecked. Not too serious; she broke an ankle and I got banged up but not bad at all. Bike got totalled.

About 30 days later I had a '12 RKC in the garage. I did everything to it to make it safer for us; lowered it, new bars, better lighting, etc. I even took the Ride Like A Pro course.

My wife, who used to love to go for rides with me and has gone on about 3 short rides on the RKC, now can't get past the fear of another accident and is hanging up the leathers at least temporarily. She just told me this today.

Riding was something we both loved to do. It is killing me inside that she's having so much trouble with this. I'm being totally supportive. I know she wants to enjoy it again but she just can't right now. I hope this passes. I intend to keep riding, but it'll somewhat suck without her.

Others have probaby been through this also. I'm not looking for an answer 'cause I know she's the only one who can overcome this.

Thanks for listening.

I am going through the same thing. Except I got hurt and she got road rash. I broke my right arm in three places and also fractured it bruised right leg and broke right big toe. Three months after accident and I started riding again but I can't get her back on it.

Old 05-17-2013 | 10:18 PM
MudFlap379
Cruiser

Hell, I'd be happy if I enjoyed being around my ole lady enough to want her on with me. I love that she won't ride with me. Count yer blessings there!

Old 05-17-2013 | 11:23 PM
Cme2c
Tourer

"Back in the Saddle Again: How to Overcome the Fear of Riding After a Motorcycle Accident" by Brenda Bates is an excellent source to help figure out if you should get back to riding after an accident. Two years ago I had a MAJOR accident (a deer jumped off a bank and landed on top of me) with multiple broken bones (8) & a lacerated spleen. Once I mended, I bought a new bike and rode a little last year, but everytime I rode I was ready to turn around & go home after a few minutes. I WANTED to ride, but when I got out on the road it was just NO LONGER FUN. I honestly didn't feel scared, I just didn't enjoy it. I came across this book and it helped me understand what was going on in my mind (actually a mild form of post traumatic stress). This spring I fel like my old self when riding and really enjoy it again.

Old 05-18-2013 | 08:13 AM
basselope
Road Captain

Wow, I can understand why flying deer would be tough to get out of your head. Thanks for sharing the book and your story.

Quick Reply: Got a problem no one can fix