Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a problem no one can fix

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013 | 03:40 PM
Black Gator
Tourer

You thought about counseling?

Old 05-15-2013 | 03:45 PM
RussH
Tourer

Originally Posted by Markymannn
Good luck with the wife. That is going to be a lot for her to overcome.

How do lowering it and bars make it safer?
Closer to the ground, you dont have as far to fall.

Old 05-15-2013 | 03:56 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

Wife n I had a mild accident, rear tire went in a curve at about 35 MPH... took 7 years for the OL to get back on...SHe then took the MSF and is now on her 3rd Bike..2002 Dyna andloves it...The first time she got on my XL883 with me she was stiff as a board scared and i stopped 1/4 mile from the house and told her she had to loosen up and lean with me or she needed to get off the bike and walk back home...SHe relaxed and then we bought a Electra Glide then she took the class, then we got her a Shadow 600 , then a Volusia 800 and now the Dyna....It will work itself out if it is to be worked out... Don't ask her again to ride, she will let you know when she is ready...I am curious to know about your skill level also....what kind of bike did you wreck with ...

Old 05-15-2013 | 03:57 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Suntower
Agreed on this and as said above... it sounds like it might be a trust issue rather than a fear issue.
Oh I don't know, maybe. But I messed up my ankle a couple years ago after hitting some oil while making a very slow right turn. It took me months to get comfortable making slow right turns again. SHe needs some time to weigh the fun vs. the fear.

Beary

Old 05-15-2013 | 03:59 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Get a TriGlide

Old 05-15-2013 | 04:09 PM
birdmandave
Cruiser

Not exactly the same but similar. After the accident in March with just me on the bike, I told the wife I'm apprehensive with her on the bike. It's has nothing to with her, just wouldn't want to see her hurt. One of has to be able execute all the legal crap if it was serious enough. She has taken it that I don't want her to ride. Like most thinks this to will pass

Old 05-15-2013 | 04:34 PM
IAmConverted
Cruiser

She has lost confidence. In her mind it doesn't matter how skilled you are some things are destined to happen. I would do two things to help her regain her confidence. I'd have her take the MSF and then take her to functions where there are lots of women that are on bikes both as passengers and drivers. Bike nights are a start but I'm thinking Sturgis or flat-track racing. Somewhere she sees the fun she once had and is missing now. Also set up a "safe" ride to take her on. Somewhere like the Blue Ridge Parkway where there isn't much traffic when the weather is perfect. Just take it slow and don't make it long.

Old 05-15-2013 | 04:54 PM
Beav
Road Warrior

Don't push her, she'll come around in her own time.

Had a similar incident, but was COMPLETELY my fault. It takes time, and is a slow process. Mine's still nervous at times, but mostly with groups.

Think about it.... sitting on the back, with absolutely NO control. Give her time.

Best of luck

Beav

Old 05-15-2013 | 05:05 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer

Completely understand. I would not want to be one the back of a bike either. Give her time and see if she has an interest in being in control of her situation by taking a rider class and having her own bike. Way more control and enjoyment when you are the driver. Stuff happens unfortunately it is usuall worse when a bike is involved. Ride safe.

Old 05-15-2013 | 05:11 PM
cdestuck
Supporter
Veteran: Marine Corp
Supporter

Everyone's different. One thing for sure, ya can't push her and when she's ready, she'll tell ya.

Quick Reply: Got a problem no one can fix