Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble shooting help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:49 AM
04stangman
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trouble shooting help needed.

Sup guys,

I need some help and any ideas on troubleshooting an issue that started yesterday trying to start my 99 ultra classic. Lemme start from the beginning.

Yesterday I ride my bike to work no problems, and up till this point I’ve never had any issues or symptoms. I get off at 2, go out and she starts normal no issues. I ride down the block, stop and talk to a friend so I shut her off for about 20 minutes, then I try and start her up to leave. Like always the bike is in neutral, I flip the ignition on, then I put the bike in run so I hear the fuel pump turn on then when that shuts of I push the start button. That’s when the problem starts. I hear the starter click, then all my dash lights and every turn off and I have no power. I tried this a few times, I even put the bike in gear, held the clutch in and tried starting it that way still the same thing. After messing around with it for about 10 minutes, I don’t know if I did something special or what but the bike started.

I ride to the gym, get done about 2 hrs later and the bike starts normal without any issues. So I go on thinking it must have been some type of freak thing or something was out of alignment… who knows but I didn’t worry about it. This morning I get all dressed up to ride to work, and the same darn thing happens. My volt meter read at 10, or slightly under. Same routine and the same issues. Ill switch the ignition off and, sometimes the the power comes on… and sometimes it wont? The lights come on, the fuel pump comes on… then when I try and start it, the same click, all the lights turn off and I lose power.

I checked all my battery connections and the bike has not gotten wet or ridden in the rain…. I just don’t even know where to start looking other than replacing my battery? Any idea or input will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks J

Old 05-15-2013, 10:10 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How old is your battery? Does it charge up with a Battery tender? BYTW Hensley 1971 So. 4490 West sells battery for about 2/3 the price vs. Harley. 801-908-7590

Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 AM
04stangman
Advanced

Im not sure exactly how old the battery is.... I got the bike last year. It seemed to charge ok this winter. Replacement was going to be my first option today. Ill give that place a call.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:28 AM
69z28
Road Warrior

Got a riding buddy with the same symptoms on a 11 Ultra.His battery died several months ago and he replaced it with a non-Harley and has had starting problems since.Even though the battery is fairly new it's a cheaper aftermarket,and I suspect it's his problem but he won't listen.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 AM
stmcmann
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If your battery is more than 2 1/2 or 3 years old I would try replacing it as my first option, I had the same issue happen to me on my last bike, a 2005 E.G. Classic, took it to my buddy at the INDY shop, he replaced the battery with a DEKA battery(same company that makes the OEM H.D. battery), no more issues! I would try that first.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM
cp1
Cruiser

Sounds like your on the right track. Check the battery, battery cables, connections at the starter and make sure your ground connections are clean.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:46 AM
04stangman
Advanced

Thanks guys for all your help, I found a Deka for $124 at a local shop, Ill give that a try this afternoon. If anyone has any more great advice I sure could use it... my heart is broken with my baby stuck in the garage.....

Old 05-15-2013, 10:51 AM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 04stangman
Thanks guys for all your help, I found a Deka for $124 at a local shop, Ill give that a try this afternoon. If anyone has any more great advice I sure could use it... my heart is broken with my baby stuck in the garage.....
If the bike starts with no jumper cables, more than likely the battery is not the problem. (It could be shorting intermittently but I doubt it.) I believe you'll find one of your battery cables doesn't have a good solid connection.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

Judging by you saying when you came out in the am and the voltmeter was at 10v from sitting all night, chances are your battery is bad and your charging system is in definite need of inspection at the least. Check all your connections for looseness or corrosion. A load test on a battery should not drop below 9.6v.If it was at 10 static, you dropped way too low for anything to engage when you hit the starter.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:32 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

I believe the ignition switch on your model was subject to recall- unlikely you'd got it honored now- they same service on my 1995 in 2000.
( maybe not- the recall notice I have in my notes is 1993~1998 models)

on many models the power for the ignition, lights everything goes through the contacts on the ign switch....also the VOLTMETER- so that readings are abnormally low- even when the battery is good

esp on models with added high watt lighting added, the switch contacts can arc and pit.

and sometimes a switch wiggle will restore contact to get going again...until the next time.

battery cable check should also be done.

if unsure about battery autozone will load test it for you.

battery and cables must be good for all other electrical system checks.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-15-2013 at 11:38 AM.

Quick Reply: Trouble shooting help needed.