Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK-RG-UC which/why

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007 | 06:42 PM
Hagar the Horrible
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RK-RG-UC which/why

Looking to buy used during winter while prices are good. Thought I wanted a Road King, now reading the forums I'm not sure. So if all you touring folks could make your best case for a particular model you just might trigger something I hadn't considered which might help me decide which will suit me best. Road King, Road Glide, Ultra, are the three contenders.

Old 02-21-2007 | 06:53 PM
t_m34
Tourer
Default RE: RK-RG-UC which/why

The eternal question...

A buddy of mine (who rides a Dyna) said RKs are for "half a$$ers who want a cruiser and a tourer," which I don't think is a bad thing and tend to agree with. Taking the windshield off transforms the RK.

The batwing bikes are awesome, and have more creature comforts (radio, etc.), but if you want to flip from old man bike to cool hot rod in a matter of a few seconds the RK is the way to go.

Plus, my RK Classic, with the leather, black and chrome, cruise control, white walls, and the addition of fishtail pipes, is just too damnsweet to pass up. My own mother, who absolutely hates "murder cycles," thinks my Classic is gorgeous.

With that said, if I had millions of $$ I'd go out and buy one of each.

Old 02-21-2007 | 06:58 PM
SLORider
Road Captain

I have the RK Classic so that's my bias. I think it looks better than just about any other touring HD. JMHO. and i live the ride and feel of the bike. I did think I might want a change so i went to the dealer and sat on the RG, UC, etc. they just don't feel right for me. In the end it's a subjective, emotional decision. Therefore diffrent for each of us. Just don't discount the RKC as a touring bike. properly set up they'll go anywhere and look great when they get there.

Old 02-21-2007 | 07:11 PM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master

Oh, boy. Opinions on that subject are like bellybuttons: everyone has one. You can read all the replies you'll get and do a search on this Forum and read all of those posts, but you can save yourself a lot of time and go test ride those bikes.
They all have their pluses and minuses, but the only person you have to satisfy is yourself. Take your time, think of how you'll use the bike the most...touring or cruising....and that will help you choose the model most suited for you.

Half the fun is deciding which one! Good luck!

Old 02-21-2007 | 07:15 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

For me, the RK just looks more like a motorcycle should look than the other two. That being said, I bought an EG and am glad I did because I do a lot of lengthy trips, enjoy the batwing fairing for the wind protection it provides, the stereo, etc.

The best value (referring to OEM equipment), IMHO, is the RG because it comes with everything that the UC comes with except for the CB/intercom, tour pak, and fairing lowers, but is usually priced at least several thousand less than the UC and a couple of grand less than the RKC. Fact is that RG is not as popular, therefore demand is less, than the RKC or UC.

If you can, ride each and get a feel for them. They are surprisingly nimble for their bulk, very comfortable for long trips, and properly equipped, can haul everything you need.

Old 02-21-2007 | 07:18 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member

ThOUGHT ID NEVER BUY A BAGGER! AND REALIZED HOW NICE THEY ARE FOR THE SERIUS BIKER. LOOKS ARE FOR PICTURES THOUGH THEY MIGHT GET YA LAID

Old 02-21-2007 | 08:49 PM
Radical
Tourer

Most of my riding is long distance. I bought the Road King Classic. I came off of a GoldWing and BMW CLC before that.The bikes that provide the creature comforts also take away from the biker experience and in my opinion are boring after a while. I want to stay in touch with the road and the elements and don't want the bike to compensate to the point that it feels "car like" as did the BMW and GoldWing. Half the fun of riding long distance is to do it by blending into the road and elements not defeating them totally by having the bike block them.

Old 02-21-2007 | 09:02 PM
alexcue
Road Master

Personally, I didn't think i would want a "big" bike. I came from a Sporty ( by way of a Ninja). But the wife wanted to come along sometimes and we wanted to do some longer distance rides. ie 8-10hrs. The only thing that would fit that bill was the Ultra in my book. The other bikeswere a compromise, well all bikes are a compromise...you get my point i hope.

To be honest i wanted a Road King first, partly because i thought the Ultra was too much money. But when u add it all up and what u get with the Ultra it was an easy choice. No regrets and the sweetest thing, is it extended my riding season, mainly because of the batwing. I can easily ride in 30deg weather, (yes it can get that cold in CA). I couldn't do it on my Sporty, well at least comfortably, even with a windshield. I'd have to break out the eletric vest, etc. Not with the Ultra, at least not yet!

to be a bit cliche'ish, there is a reason they call it an Ultra

Old 02-21-2007 | 09:03 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member

IMO Road Kings look like stripped thefts Ultra's are the touring luxury and Roadglides have a funky fairing, but from what everyone says it will grow on you and it supposedly handles better than the batwing when passing trucks, etc. Have you considered a decked out streetglide?

Old 02-21-2007 | 09:10 PM
Rico450r
Cruiser

Well, just thought I would share. I just ordered my Road King Custom last Saturday. I was going to get a soft tail, but after riding the RK I was in love. I do like the street glide, but I just don't like anything in from of me, like the fairing. So it's the custom for me. To me, it's the most radical looking RK on the line up. I'm getting Black Cherry so the dealer is looking for one. It's $20,523 OTD. I have the money, so its a matter of time. The dealer is hoping he'll find one late March or early April. Just thought I would share. Thanks

Rico

Quick Reply: RK-RG-UC which/why