Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter nose

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 12:21 PM
dulley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lifter nose

on my 2011 road glide 103 the front cylinder when i start it i can here a lifter tapping lightly and it does not go away , but it is very lightly ,i do have about 3300 miles on this oil ,its amsoil full synthetic,i still have 3 months left on the warranty. just wondering if i might have a lifter problem starting.

Old 05-12-2013, 04:59 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 387 Likes on 223 Posts

Some top end noise is completely normal with these engines. I used to get worried about it also but I've learned that all that noise is normal. Did this just start or maybe you just really noticed it so your attention is now drawn to it when the bike runs. If it doesn't get any worse I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. These engines are often more top end noisy with synthetic oil.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:31 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dulley
on my 2011 road glide 103 the front cylinder when i start it i can here a lifter tapping lightly and it does not go away , but it is very lightly ,i do have about 3300 miles on this oil ,its amsoil full synthetic,i still have 3 months left on the warranty. just wondering if i might have a lifter problem starting.
Have it checked by dealer. Peace of mind I guess. Betcha they will say it's OK and they are probably right. Everyone says these motors are noisy but hang around under the hood of your Ford or Honda for an hour and you will hear noises as well. Sitting in the cage isolates you. Sitting on your HD 3 ft from the top end is the issue.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:28 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

It's not the oil. How do you know it's a lifter? Have you listened with a something to help you isolate the knocking? You mention the front cylinder. It could be several things other than lifters. Harleys make a lot of racket, so don't be alarmed at odd noises from time to time. If they go away, forget about them. If they don't, then do what you are doing and try to track it down. The dealer is most likely to say it's normal. (wow, go figure).

Old 05-12-2013, 07:37 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

I have had dealers tell me not to use synthetic cuz it's noisier. Not sure how syn 20w-50 can be noisier than dino of the same weight. Must be the sound amplifying properties of syn. Ha! Disclaimer: this is not intended to start another synthetic oil thread!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:54 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
I have had dealers tell me not to use synthetic cuz it's noisier. Not sure how syn 20w-50 can be noisier than dino of the same weight. Must be the sound amplifying properties of syn. Ha! Disclaimer: this is not intended to start another synthetic oil thread!
reason syn vs dino oil and noise. Syn oil on a molecular level all molecules are the same size, they do not fill voids and pockets as well as dino oil with various size molecules. This is just a quickie on the topic so you have an idea to look further and understand.

now back to the rattle's and taps, ticks and clicks.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:00 PM
12hdrk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Wild Card
reason syn vs dino oil and noise. Syn oil on a molecular level all molecules are the same size, they do not fill voids and pockets as well as dino oil with various size molecules. This is just a quickie on the topic so you have an idea to look further and understand.

now back to the rattle's and taps, ticks and clicks.
Well that's way beyond my ability to comprehend... Or believe... but I'm certainly no oil expert.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

most of that rattling and clicking may not be lifters,I thought the same thing for the last 2000 miles,was the compensator,now no more noise any worse than my o5

Old 05-13-2013, 09:28 AM
REDHEAD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a "COULD BE".

If you are not an aggressive rider, the carbon CAN build up on top the piston and get a light compression Knock in that cylinder.

Did you pull the spark plugs and visual check them?

If it showed signs of black carbon inside the porcelain area, that could be it.
Taking off the air filter and a sprayer bottle with water****At fast idle, squirt water Mist into the venture of the intake. Keep motor running about 2ooo RPM. Make sure nothing is behind the exhaust when you do this as lots of carbon will come out.

This can be done BEFORE that next oil change, just to clean out the carbon.

I always put in a set of adjustable SE Slender Tapered push rods on any bike I own and suggest to do so to others like you... IF that front cylinder has a Tic from one of the lifters, a adjustable p-rod will benefit that lifter by a little more Pre-load on it.

signed....REDHEAD

Old 05-13-2013, 11:58 AM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 12hdrk
Well that's way beyond my ability to comprehend... Or believe... but I'm certainly no oil expert.
Well go read up on it and educate yourself son.

Quick Reply: lifter nose