Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter nose

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 AM
12hdrk
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
Well go read up on it and educate yourself son.
Well I tried to post my nasty response 12 times last night but it wouldn't go. In any case take a look at Mobil site QA about synthetic. SON

Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM
REDHEAD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IT Is the compensator...

The Comps on older TC 07 and up HAVE been replaced on the line-up from HD for that reason. It is not the SE255 cams. I just HAD to replace my comp. Asking for the original style as it lasted 50,000 miles in my 09 FLHR using SE255 cams and Not wanting the SE comp.....When it arrived Yep,,,,an SE...

Harley said Original was REPLACED by the SE...

They Knew there were problems like we were having on the Original compensator and choose not to fix it one their dime.

Replacing mine FIXED ALL the Starting Problems like YOU and Others are experiencing.

signed....REDHEAD

Old 05-14-2013, 12:06 PM
dulley
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you can hear the tapping in the top of the motor ,the front cylinder .,the back is quit ,.i,m going to change the oil this week end cause now it has almost 4000 miles on it .

Old 05-14-2013, 06:15 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Mine was pretty quit until about 5k then it got louder and louder until it stayed the same. Now at 11k I've got bleed down happening a lot and I'm getting pretty close to using earplugs until I educate myself on how to adjust and replace lifter/PR's. Or just let it granade....after all I extended the ESP for 3 more years so....granade away until I learn what I'm doing and start trying diff lifters. So someone is saying carbon deposits will cause some of the noises, pretty sure that's what got mine pinging....timing adjustment fixed that but I wonder if valve train noises is another symptom?

Last edited by TUCCI; 05-14-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 AM
REDHEAD
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TUCCI,

If you locate a new set of HD "B" lifters (best)
Or Gatermans, using SE adjustable P-rods setting them at 3.5 turns out from "0" lash. AND your oil pressure was good to start with...Replacements will be as quiet as a squirrel machine.

signed....REDHEAD

Old 05-15-2013, 11:27 AM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHEAD
TUCCI,

Or Gatermans, using SE adjustable P-rods setting them at 3.5 turns out from "0" lash. AND your oil pressure was good to start with...Replacements will be as quiet as a squirrel machine.

signed....REDHEAD
I would start at 3 turns and see how they sound but that's just me and what I did with VThunder Lifters & SE Tapered Adjustable Push Rods. Plus, that's what Comp Cams recommended....

Old 05-18-2013, 02:40 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by REDHEAD
TUCCI,

signed....REDHEAD
Thanks REDHEAD I appreciate the direction, I will need to look into that. I'm totally foreign to lifter replacement and will need to learn what '0' lash actually is, don't laugh I'll figure it out........You know I had my windshield off just for the hell of it and the comments from other members came to mind about noise deflection with fairings and shields. I took it for a 75 mile trek just to see if there's anything to the claim and I'll be damned if the valve train noise wasn't at least 75% quieter! I could still hear the front tapet noise that's distinctive at idle but the BS noise during cruising and shifting is all but gone? The whole time I'm thinking......wow just from a windshield! Took some getting used to the wind resistance but the only time I really need a windscreen is when I'm touring and the bike looks better without a shield with apes.