Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some HD Smart Guys advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:36 AM
birdmandave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some HD Smart Guys advice

My 07 UC came with a 32109-08A SE Pro Tuner, V&H dual ovals, and the stage 1 filter upgrade. After several days of riding, it seemed that the mpg's were low. No number data to support that, just observation of the fuel gauge dropping a lot quicker than the 01 UC. Also had popping on deceleration. Not knowing what the SE tuner does or did, I thought maybe a fuel management device would help with the mpg and improve overall performance. I installed a V&H Fuelpak because it was a simple plug and play set up. There is a definite improvement with throttle response, but still get some popping. While doing some more research I found that the Fuelpak is not compatible with the SE tuner. So I have a few questions. 1) Do I remove the Fuelpak 2) Does the SE tuner do the same thing as the Fuelpak? 3) Without having any of the software and cables for the SE tuner, how would one know if it's set right? Would appreciate any constructive advice.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 AM
CndUltra95
Road Warrior
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

Well, I would go and get the cables and see what the settings(MAP) are .
Who did your tune with the SE Tuner?
Rob

Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

So your saying you have a SE tuner already on the bike and you added a fuelpack to the mix? That is not a good idea and a recipe for a disaster. I would have the SERT tuned via a laptop then if it becomes futile remove it and install the fuelpack but dont compound the data being bombarded the ECU with two devices. Do some research what a SERT does for you bike only then can you make an informed decision as to which way you should go. The SERT should have all the flexibility you need to regulate fuel consumption and is probably setup for performance which often sacrifices MPG.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:05 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

get rid of the fuel pak..the SE tuner has all the capabilities to dial in the bike to perfection. Since you are in florida, I would get in touch with Doc

Old 05-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Prw3
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The tuner is great if you have the cable and software to upgrade and change maps and having owned both either the fuelpak or the tuner will do the job just not together. I actually preferred the fuelpak as changing the map offsets doesnt require anything more then your finger. You might want to do a quick check and make sure all your exhaust flanges are snug and that you don't have any small cracks anywhere on the pipes as cool air drawn in through any leak will increase decel popping. Also grab a can of wd40 and spray some around the intake while the bike is idling and if you notice a change in rpm you very well could have a leak where the manifold meets the heads or at one or both the injectors which are only sealed with an o ring. Extra air entering would certainly be noticed by the 02 sensors and prompt the tuner to add fuel to the mixture which would hurt MPG

Old 05-11-2013, 10:07 AM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is in the tune

Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 AM
birdmandave
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks to all who replied. The Fuel Pak is coming. Don't know who, when, or where the SE tuner was installed and set up. Off to the dealer I bought it from.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:21 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Get rid of the fuel pack! Have the bike tuned with the SEPT by a competent tuner! SERT is one of the best 3-4 units out there!

Old 05-11-2013, 12:26 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts

We have a SEPST, not a SERT, but in any event, get your bike tuned properly using that, there's no need for a second device.

Old 05-11-2013, 10:56 PM
ke5rbd
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by birdmandave
My 07 UC came with a 32109-08A SE Pro Tuner, V&H dual ovals, and the stage 1 filter upgrade. After several days of riding, it seemed that the mpg's were low. No number data to support that, just observation of the fuel gauge dropping a lot quicker than the 01 UC. Also had popping on deceleration. Not knowing what the SE tuner does or did, I thought maybe a fuel management device would help with the mpg and improve overall performance. I installed a V&H Fuelpak because it was a simple plug and play set up. There is a definite improvement with throttle response, but still get some popping. While doing some more research I found that the Fuelpak is not compatible with the SE tuner. So I have a few questions. 1) Do I remove the Fuelpak 2) Does the SE tuner do the same thing as the Fuelpak? 3) Without having any of the software and cables for the SE tuner, how would one know if it's set right? Would appreciate any constructive advice.
You need cables and software. You can richen the deceleration enleanment and stop the pop. If you haven't worked with a flash tuner, either study the manual or get the training dvd from HD. Good luck. The SEPST software comes with some good maps.

Quick Reply: Need some HD Smart Guys advice