Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 11:58 PM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 91 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

ORIGINAL: Branded

I'm looking into my crystal ball and see this thread turning the same direction as the Draggin Baggers thread. LOL!!!
NO!!! Cant we all just get along

Old 02-22-2007, 12:02 AM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bagger_Dave

Gabhart,

I didn't copy your post answer, I sent them an e-mail yesterday and that was the reply I got. It must me a generic one cause it's almost word for word to your reply. I posted the e-mail in the other thread, he just did'nt copy that part here. No big deal, but you think they could do more than just copy the same reply!!
Gotcha! I didn't think PC would have a bottled response to this. I actually thought it was personalized!

Silly me!

Old 02-22-2007, 12:20 AM
gabhart
Road Master
Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts

ORIGINAL: lp

No I got the concept. I don't mean any disrespect gunrunner.

But while your at it you need totellallyour brothers and sisters that already own one that it's not a big deal and it will not fail you going to Daytona.
That while the power circuit is interrupted for a second when first starting, that it behaves normally after the bike starts.
That while you guys may have a somewhat weird starting routine, the bike will run.
That this entire thread while exciting is just a reminder that there is a 2 second delay when starting your bike when using a PCIII and that Dynojet confirms it's normal when used in this configuration.

The sky is not falling, it's a small price to pay for something that gives so much.
No fear...

lp

I'm with you on that IP. It's been fun figuring out what is going on with the delay. It's been fun observing the issue and having it backed up. It's been fun having PC admit to the problem and not having a resolution.

It is also fun riding my bike. It's fun that my wife and son think it's the coolest thing around. It's fun when my bike takes a few seconds to start and my buddies ask me if all '07's start like that. I reply "No, I have a dyno tuned Power Commander." When we make our next stop the entire conversation turns into PC's, dyno's and performance with at least one or two saying they will be getting a PC in the next month or two.

I can care less about the 2 second delay. If the bike leaves me stranded and the PC is the cause THEN I will be pi$$ed!

Gunrunner, this thread is cool. All you wanted to do is warn folks of the delay and PC's inability to resolve it. I think most do not care but some, like yourself, do. It's all good.

Sorry if this went a little off topic. I feel better though![sm=smiley9.gif]

Old 02-22-2007, 12:22 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Regarding the wisdom of starting the bike before the check engine light is extinguished, where does it specify that you must follow this procedure? My owners manual doesn't really say that you should wait, only that there is a 4-sec. delay before the light goes out. It gives four steps in the start-up procedure, and none of them suggests that we wait for anything. When I took delivery of my SG, the service dude giving me the first tutorial said that starting it before the light was out might cause a fault code to be generated. So what if it does, won't it clear after the first successful start thereafter?

My service manual doesn't mention it at all, or at least I didn't see a reference to it, but the electrial diagnostic manual might go into the procedure. Does anyone have this manual?

Old 02-22-2007, 12:29 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The PC iii is a physical piece of hardware that plugs in inline between the bike harness and the bikes ECM. So if it fails it can be unplugged and the bike can still be ridden.

The Screaming Eagle Race Tuner (sert) is software on a disc and an interface module.
You use a laptop and cables to connect to the interface to the bike. You down load a fuel mixture / timing map from the disc to the actual ECM on the bike.
When done you disconnect the cables, the interface module and the laptop (computer) from the bike.
So no actual physical hardware is installed on the bike.
If the ECM fails you are screwed no matter which you use.

ORIGINAL: FLHT

Gutman....Do we know for sure that long term failures are high. Another question I have SERT vs PCIII. If one or the other should fail on you out on the road somewhere, I know you can just unplug the PCIII and run on your ECM settings. Can you do this with the SERT also?

Old 02-22-2007, 01:54 AM
johnny canuck
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

..supposedly, if your PCIII packs it in you can disconnect itand be on your way. If you have installed an after market breather kit and exhaust system you will be maxing out the capabilities of the stock map with dire consequences..I sure wouldn't be riding very far in that very lean condition.
Also, what about the hesitation off the throttle that has pagued some PCIII owners? That is more of a concern to me and that issue has not been addressed by Dynojet.

Old 02-22-2007, 01:59 AM
johnny canuck
Road Captain

..as to the speculation on the 08's...when has HD ever removed a profit centre for itself and made it easier for the customer?? Auto tune...not likely...can youimagine the dealer reaction...

Old 02-22-2007, 02:21 AM
Lurch
Intermediate

Its great that there are forums like this that consumers can read to make educated decisions regarding their hard-earned money.
I too have the slow start issue. I simply hit the start almost immediatly after the run and it fires right up (hope this doesn't hurt anything, don't belive it will). This is something I can live with at the moment.

Another problem with the PC3 that has been discussed in other forums is the hesitation off idle. I am experiencing this and can't seem to get it tuned out (seems others are seeing this as well). This is the issue that most concerns me and makes me lean towards a SERT in the near future. I view this issue as being downright dangerous at times.
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1248556/mpage_6/key_/tm.htm

Best of Luck

Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 AM
atexn4christ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have read about the probs w/ pcIII and will order one from feul moto as soon as my IRS rebate check posts to my account. I asked Tom Cat from Action Tires in Las Vegas as he put a 150 Avon on my 06 Road Glide ( awesome tire by the way). He acted as though he hadn't noticed till I said something "maybe a rotation or so more" he said He seemed to think that it maybe taking reading as well (he is a tire guy) BUT LIKE HE SAID THE EXTRA ROTATION OR SO AIN'T GONNA BURN UP THE STARTER

Old 02-22-2007, 04:11 AM
vegashd
Banned

quote]ORIGINAL: Gutman

Vegas, what bikes backed by Harley are you refering to. All of the Destroyers use SERT's. Flattrackers are carbureted, Harley does not fully back any AHDRA teams, Buell uses a similar SERT program, If it is Vance & Hines NHRA team, it is because they do not use HD ECM's. And for the rest of your racing infomost Jap's, as you refer do not have the capabilities to open and remap fuel and timing cells with their current ECM's. the factory Suzuki Flattrack race team once used V-Rod ECM's and SERTS so they could reprogram their bikes for different tracks. They had to send their stock ECM's to and independent person in Germany to raise their rev limits because the factory could not. Do you really think that Mat Maladin hasone all of his championships on the same PC? Race builders and tuners change parts it seems like every week, so is this how we base our real road conditions? I would like to know what the jap's have in any of theirEFI systems that are far superior to the MOCO's Delphi system. Like I have said the Power Commander works OK. I have returned alot for replacement and or return. Make your own judgement. Don't try to bash me for sharing experiences. Run what YOU want.
[/quote]

what jap team do you want a picture of at dynojet getting their new motor mods tested and running well? Anyday during the week i can pick a different semi that is parked out front and getting dyno tuned WITH a PCIII?

A small team like the Factory backed Yamaha Graves Motorsport team?

How about that other small team called Factory Kawasaki?

How about the other small team of factory backed Attack Kawasaki?

SBK?

bonneville anyone? world record holders....

[align=left]Round 8 of the Pro Honda Oils Supersport championship at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course saw Dynojet sponsored riders nine of the top ten finishes, including the three on the podium: winner Jamie Hacking, second place Roger Hayden and third place Michael Barnes. Other top ten finishers were Geoff May, Danny Eslick, Ben Attard, Blake Young, Ryan Elleby and Josh Herrin. Hacking continues his incredible season with his fifth win of the year in Supersport. Three rounds remain and Hacking holds an overall lead of 59 points.[/align]
[align=left]The top seven finishers for the Lockhart Phillips USA Formula Xtreme race are also Dynojet sponsored. Winner Eric Bostrom, second place Jason Disalvo, and third place Josh Hayes completed a sixth consecutive sweep by Dynojet sponsored racers of this championship series. These three riders also lead in the overall points standing, with Disalvo six points ahead of second place Hayes and eleven points up on third place Bostrom.[/align][align=left]Jamie Hacking also won the Repsol Lubricants Superstock race for the fourth time this season with a best lap speed of 93.53 mph, leading seven Dynojet sponsored racers in the top ten. Six of the top eight in the overall points standings are Dynojet sponsored riders: Hacking, Disalvo, Geoff May, Hayes, Matt Lynn, and Bostrom.[/align]
anytime you want to look at Disalvos bikes... let me know... Ill take you over to his place.

Quick Reply: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!