Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 05:01 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

Interesting how this turned into a "I'm replying because I need to justify my purchase" thread instead of accepting the fact that the product may be inferior at present.Will they(Dynojet) fix it.......who knows but the thread was to inform the masses of a problem with the product and I would want to know this if I was considering the PCIII or anything else for that nature.

Shheesh......a bunch of tittybabies[sm=joke.gif]. [sm=escape.gif]

Old 02-21-2007, 06:07 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

Interesting how this turned into a "I'm replying because I need to justify my purchase" thread instead of accepting the fact that the product may be inferior at present.Will they(Dynojet) fix it.......who knows but the thread was to inform the masses of a problem with the product and I would want to know this if I was considering the PCIII or anything else for that nature.

Shheesh......a bunch of tittybabies[sm=joke.gif]. [sm=escape.gif]
Yep it was just to give those guys who are thinking of buying a PCIII for a 06/07 a heads up to IMO a major issue. Not so much the slow start but what really cause's it.The info about Dynojet not redesigning a PCIII to deal with the change harley made to wiring of their ECM and just expecting us to accept it as is. Which may or may not even give the PCIII unit the correct voltage to operate correctly or at its full potential.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:26 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 447 Likes on 309 Posts

So if I understand you (or not) the connector to the ecm is what powers the PCIII thru the fuel relay. Does the ecm lose power also until the motor turns over a few times or does the ecm get it's power from another source?

Old 02-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vegas, what bikes backed by Harley are you refering to. All of the Destroyers use SERT's. Flattrackers are carbureted, Harley does not fully back any AHDRA teams, Buell uses a similar SERT program, If it is Vance & Hines NHRA team, it is because they do not use HD ECM's. And for the rest of your racing infomost Jap's, as you refer do not have the capabilities to open and remap fuel and timing cells with their current ECM's. the factory Suzuki Flattrack race team once used V-Rod ECM's and SERTS so they could reprogram their bikes for different tracks. They had to send their stock ECM's to and independent person in Germany to raise their rev limits because the factory could not. Do you really think that Mat Maladin hasone all of his championships on the same PC? Race builders and tuners change parts it seems like every week, so is this how we base our real road conditions? I would like to know what the jap's have in any of theirEFI systems that are far superior to the MOCO's Delphi system. Like I have said the Power Commander works OK. I have returned alot for replacement and or return. Make your own judgement. Don't try to bash me for sharing experiences. Run what YOU want.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:32 PM
t_m34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: MCSarge

So if I understand you (or not) the connector to the ecm is what powers the PCIII thru the fuel relay. Does the ecm lose power also until the motor turns over a few times or does the ecm get it's power from another source?
It gets the power from the fuel pump circuit. Once the fuel pump stops cycling it stops giving the PCIII power. When you push the start it takes the PCIII a couple of seconds to restart when the fuel pump starts cycling again...that's my understanding of it.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:36 PM
Gutman
Road Master

Hey Bounty I heard the same thing. Rumor also says that the bike as delivered to the dealer will not run. The dealers must purchase a new Digital Tech II to properly initialize the bikes at delivery.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:51 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,829 Likes on 1,592 Posts

I really don't know what point I'M trying to make here but Dynojet has been doing EFItuning for quite sometime in the open market. Longer than HD has been. No I don't have dates or anything, heck I'm probably wrong, but it does not change the fact that back in my sport bike days we used PC's a lot and liked them. Of course there was no SERT etc.
If Suzuki etc did offer a factory ECM tuning option I probably would have bought that but didn't.Dynojet is not the people to knock. They've done a lot with the market. People have great success using their products. Just this time there is a 2 second starting problem that is oh so trivial in the big picture. Yeah yeah you can argue "a police man might not be able to start his bike in time to save a falling baby" but who are we kidding. People get over it. So many pages on this stupid problem.

What is a problem is HD charging 400 bucks for what essentially is an ECM download to control something thats already there (SERT). I don't expect them to give it away, but how about raising the price a hundred bucks on a new bike and maybe having the SERT on every bike ready to go. That would be nice, then there would not be ANY reason for us to argue or to buy PCIII's or create 15 pages ofBS about a 2 second start delay, like it's the end of the freaking world or something.

lp

ORIGINAL: Gutman

Vegas, what bikes backed by Harley are you refering to. All of the Destroyers use SERT's. Flattrackers are carbureted, Harley does not fully back any AHDRA teams, Buell uses a similar SERT program, If it is Vance & Hines NHRA team, it is because they do not use HD ECM's. And for the rest of your racing infomost Jap's, as you refer do not have the capabilities to open and remap fuel and timing cells with their current ECM's. the factory Suzuki Flattrack race team once used V-Rod ECM's and SERTS so they could reprogram their bikes for different tracks. They had to send their stock ECM's to and independent person in Germany to raise their rev limits because the factory could not. Do you really think that Mat Maladin hasone all of his championships on the same PC? Race builders and tuners change parts it seems like every week, so is this how we base our real road conditions? I would like to know what the jap's have in any of theirEFI systems that are far superior to the MOCO's Delphi system. Like I have said the Power Commander works OK. I have returned alot for replacement and or return. Make your own judgement. Don't try to bash me for sharing experiences. Run what YOU want.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Gutman
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

FLHT, I have dealt with people that have had ecm failures and Harley even replaced their SERT. It is a case by case basis. I had a customer that bought a PCUSB from me, had the dealer dyno tune it. He then rode to Sturgis a year later, took the bike to Dr. Dyno who said the bike was running so lean that he was suprised it didn't burn itself up. The bike was only getting 20 MPG at the time (too rich). He dyno'd and said that we had the timing incorrect, and that he hardly ever changes from the PC timing chart (we do not either). I refunded his dyno charges at the dealership. 2 months later his PC went bad. 4 months to get Dynojet to replace/ refund his money. Now he has to start over. PC vs SERT. That is where I based MY opinion. Everyone else can chose their own path. He is now purchasing a SERT and having it dyno tuned. Who pissed away what?
Ive found if you have a good relationship with your dealer things like this that come up will be fixed. But im not sure if youve had it a few years and it fails out of warranty if any dealer is going to help you out. There in lies the problem with the SERT being it is married to the stock ECM and can not be used on another you run the risk of an expensive replacement. Too bad its not something that can be re-used on another ECM. Its more than 400-500 bucks once you add in dyno tune its more like 6-700 total. Rumor is the 08's will have a wide band 02 setup and new ECM that will self tune to almost ant setup and all this tuning stuff will be for us with 07 and back models.
The PowerCommander has a 1 year warranty. The motorcycle carries a 2 year warranty.

Old 02-21-2007, 06:59 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: t_m34

ORIGINAL: MCSarge

It gets the power from the fuel pump circuit. Once the fuel pump stops cycling it stops giving the PCIII power. When you push the start it takes the PCIII a couple of seconds to restart when the fuel pump starts cycling again...that's my understanding of it.
Its not dependant on the pump at that point, power comes via the start button. The slowness is just what time it takes the pc to power up again. Have no clue which wire powers the stock ecm, its the fuel pump circuit that the pcIII is wired too.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:01 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

FLHT, I have dealt with people that have had ecm failures and Harley even replaced their SERT. It is a case by case basis. I had a customer that bought a PCUSB from me, had the dealer dyno tune it. He then rode to Sturgis a year later, took the bike to Dr. Dyno who said the bike was running so lean that he was suprised it didn't burn itself up. The bike was only getting 20 MPG at the time (too rich). He dyno'd and said that we had the timing incorrect, and that he hardly ever changes from the PC timing chart (we do not either). I refunded his dyno charges at the dealership. 2 months later his PC went bad. 4 months to get Dynojet to replace/ refund his money. Now he has to start over. PC vs SERT. That is where I based MY opinion. Everyone else can chose their own path. He is now purchasing a SERT and having it dyno tuned. Who pissed away what?
Ive found if you have a good relationship with your dealer things like this that come up will be fixed. But im not sure if youve had it a few years and it fails out of warranty if any dealer is going to help you out. There in lies the problem with the SERT being it is married to the stock ECM and can not be used on another you run the risk of an expensive replacement. Too bad its not something that can be re-used on another ECM. Its more than 400-500 bucks once you add in dyno tune its more like 6-700 total. Rumor is the 08's will have a wide band 02 setup and new ECM that will self tune to almost ant setup and all this tuning stuff will be for us with 07 and back models.
The PowerCommander has a 1 year warranty. The motorcycle carries a 2 year warranty.
Unless you bought your PCIII from FuelMoto then they double the warranty to 2 years.

Quick Reply: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!