Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:36 PM
t_m34
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

ORIGINAL: Gutman

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

I don't understand half the people on this site. This has been a known problem in the industry, this is not breaking news. Whenever there is a post on this site PC vs. SERT everyone has their opinions and most are the SERT is too much and dealers are just out to steal your money. Now when everyone hears this they say "I will live with it?" If this problem was with the SERT and the MOCO said they were doing nothing about it, we would be on the 23rd page already. Like I have always said, you get what you pay for. The PowerCommander is not superior to the SERT, only less expensive and works OK. The long term affect is that it still uses consumer grade electronics (same as your kids PS3 or X-Box) and long term failures are high.
Well your right about the dealers and the SERT, 400+ for a link to reprogram your own stock ECM. hookup cable not included. And as for this being a Known issue? I never new it when I bought mine back in october, and niether did many others, heck till some of us figured out it was a power issue most everyone thought it was a map related problem. The true problem has only come to light in the past few days and is now documented in writing by Dynojets responce listed above.
Don't get me wrong I would share any advise I had with anyone to help out, and I agree that the PC is more owner friendly. I myself understand that you (or your bank) holds the title to your bike not me. That means you can do what you want. Shame on PC for not telling you their problems when you bought their product, not me. FLHT, as for the long term issues, I worked at a dealership for 15 years and have replaced many PC's and only a few ECM's.You ask that if something fails what are you going to plug in to get home? Your stock ECM still works, that means your tune is still working. Thank's for the info Gunrunner. At least you can have an opinion.
That's actually the thing that got me thinking about SERT. I've never known anyone with a failed ECM, but I've met at least 2 people in person with failed PCIIIs. Plus, I'm of the opinion (yeah, I've got a few too ) that generally what's been designed by the MOCO for the bike is probably best simply because it doesn't bypass, or "fool" the bike. That opinion doesn't work with everything (Stage 1 download) but it's held out over the years pretty well with most things. I've known a lot of people who have modified their bike in all sorts of crazy fashions to avoid spending $$ on MOCO goods only to eventually have to spend the $$ on MOCO goods anyway.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:45 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHT

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

ORIGINAL: FLHT

Gutman....Do we know for sure that long term failures are high. Another question I have SERT vs PCIII. If one or the other should fail on you out on the road somewhere, I know you can just unplug the PCIII and run on your ECM settings. Can you do this with the SERT also?
Thats a easy answer, NO WAY! Afterall a SERT is not even a tangable object, it's just a key that allows the stock ecm to be reprogramed. If your sert modified stock ecm fails you loose the SERT as well forever as it can only be used once on a ECM. So once you use it to enter your stock ECM it is married to that ECM and can never be used on another.
So if you do have an ECM fail, which is very possible, you have pissed away the 4 or 5 bills you spent on the SERT
Yes thats it, only thing might be if your dealer installed it and it failed under warranty. I would expect them to replace the ECM and retune with a new SERT. And maybe youre original ECM can be rebuilt saving the SERT program I really dont know if that would be a possibility but Im sure you would be without the use of the bike for awhile.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:53 PM
Gutman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FLHT, I have dealt with people that have had ecm failures and Harley even replaced their SERT. It is a case by case basis. I had a customer that bought a PCUSB from me, had the dealer dyno tune it. He then rode to Sturgis a year later, took the bike to Dr. Dyno who said the bike was running so lean that he was suprised it didn't burn itself up. The bike was only getting 20 MPG at the time (too rich). He dyno'd and said that we had the timing incorrect, and that he hardly ever changes from the PC timing chart (we do not either). I refunded his dyno charges at the dealership. 2 months later his PC went bad. 4 months to get Dynojet to replace/ refund his money. Now he has to start over. PC vs SERT. That is where I based MY opinion. Everyone else can chose their own path. He is now purchasing a SERT and having it dyno tuned. Who pissed away what?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:56 PM
vegashd
Banned

I don't understand half the people on this site. This has been a known problem in the industry, this is not breaking news. Whenever there is a post on this site PC vs. SERT everyone has their opinions and most are the SERT is too much and dealers are just out to steal your money. Now when everyone hears this they say "I will live with it?" If this problem was with the SERT and the MOCO said they were doing nothing about it, we would be on the 23rd page already. Like I have always said, you get what you pay for. The PowerCommander is not superior to the SERT, only less expensive and works OK. The long term affect is that it still uses consumer grade electronics (same as your kids PS3 or X-Box) and long term failures are high.
Please explain then why when it comes to bikes at the races, including bikes backed by HD and Buell why they are running PCIIIs? IN fact under your theory the japs who use far superior technology (see the million topics on them surpassing HD if HD does not do something) RELY on Dynojet to tune their own bikes?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:02 PM
shearpinn
Cruiser

I have the PCIII on my 06 SG and just hit the button like the officer said the PDs suggest - instant start. Is it hurting things.. doubtful. How many here turn the key in their car or truck to ON for 4 seconds before cranking? willing to bet very few. I mean it aint a "wait to start" light like in a diesel which is for glow-plugs in the cold, not the pump anyway.

I for one dont put much stock in HD warranty because of the hoops you have to jump through to keep. And I am not gonna be cornered to use their parts and mechs inorder to keep it. The PC3 allows me to revert back to stock which i did to get the 25 deg injectors and still the freedom to buy the parts I want.

Furthermore, I second what was said earlier - I work in software for fighter jets and it is fickle with restarts and headaches. i am shore that this ECM is simple and stout but how stout with shady-tree mechs monkeyin with the settings on their laptop. What does happen if the SERT decideds to crap 500 miles from home - you are SOL and out an ECM and SERT. I am monkeyin with a $300 independant part that can be unplugged and I still get home. I still feel I am the winner - just my opinion.

Great thing about this country - you can buy what you feel is best. Either product is good, I just prefer to spread my money around and wisely. Dont think the MOCO needs it all. The got $19K for the bike.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:03 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

FLHT, I have dealt with people that have had ecm failures and Harley even replaced their SERT. It is a case by case basis. I had a customer that bought a PCUSB from me, had the dealer dyno tune it. He then rode to Sturgis a year later, took the bike to Dr. Dyno who said the bike was running so lean that he was suprised it didn't burn itself up. The bike was only getting 20 MPG at the time (too rich). He dyno'd and said that we had the timing incorrect, and that he hardly ever changes from the PC timing chart (we do not either). I refunded his dyno charges at the dealership. 2 months later his PC went bad. 4 months to get Dynojet to replace/ refund his money. Now he has to start over. PC vs SERT. That is where I based MY opinion. Everyone else can chose their own path. He is now purchasing a SERT and having it dyno tuned. Who pissed away what?
Ive found if you have a good relationship with your dealer things like this that come up will be fixed. But im not sure if youve had it a few years and it fails out of warranty if any dealer is going to help you out. There in lies the problem with the SERT being it is married to the stock ECM and can not be used on another you run the risk of an expensive replacement. Too bad its not something that can be re-used on another ECM. Its more than 400-500 bucks once you add in dyno tune its more like 6-700 total. Rumor is the 08's will have a wide band 02 setup and new ECM that will self tune to almost ant setup and all this tuning stuff will be for us with 07 and back models.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

whoa, there is much mis-understanding about the fuel pump operation.

Fuel pumps in FI vehicles usually have some sort of safety mechanism to keep them from running on after a collision and thusly spewing raw fuel out and creating a fire hazard. The overwhelming majority of vehicles (Harley included) use an Oil Pressure sensor, with the logic that if the vehicle is involved in an accident, the engine will either die outright, or will die from fuel starvation if the fuel line is cut.

But if you do that, you have to have an arraingement to allow the pump to work without oil pressure in order to start it. Some vehicles energize the pump for a set amount of time upon turning the key, and some send power to the pump when the starter is engaged.

Harley uses the first way. you can absolutly start the bike as soon as you turn the key with no adverse affects. You do not need to let the fuel system 'pump-up' before starting. The fuel system is pressurized almost instantly when the pump starts. As a matter of fact, if you wait too long to start and lose fuel line pressure after the pump times out, the bike wont start under cranking until the oil pressure has come up enough to run the pump.

Now I am not sure if there is some Self-Test the ECM is doing during that time that prevents a quick start, but purely from the side of fuel pressure, there is no need to wait.

Tim

Old 02-21-2007, 04:24 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Cowracer

whoa, there is much mis-understanding about the fuel pump operation.

Fuel pumps in FI vehicles usually have some sort of safety mechanism to keep them from running on after a collision and thusly spewing raw fuel out and creating a fire hazard. The overwhelming majority of vehicles (Harley included) use an Oil Pressure sensor, with the logic that if the vehicle is involved in an accident, the engine will either die outright, or will die from fuel starvation if the fuel line is cut.

But if you do that, you have to have an arraingement to allow the pump to work without oil pressure in order to start it. Some vehicles energize the pump for a set amount of time upon turning the key, and some send power to the pump when the starter is engaged.

Harley uses the first way. you can absolutly start the bike as soon as you turn the key with no adverse affects. You do not need to let the fuel system 'pump-up' before starting. The fuel system is pressurized almost instantly when the pump starts. As a matter of fact, if you wait too long to start and lose fuel line pressure after the pump times out, the bike wont start under cranking until the oil pressure has come up enough to run the pump.

Now I am not sure if there is some Self-Test the ECM is doing during that time that prevents a quick start, but purely from the side of fuel pressure, there is no need to wait.

Tim
That's not exactly how it works. The 06/07 powers up the fuel pump when the key switch is on and the RUN switch is in the RUN position only till it is up to pressure then power is removed and not restored till the starter button is pressed. No mis information, just what Harley Davidson recomended as to how to start your bike. It can be started before the fuel pump stops on intial turn on of the switch. The issue is the PCIII is miswired to this circuit admitted to by Dynojet since they never redesigned their PCIII when HD changed its wiring. Now if you adhere to HD's advice to wait till the fuel circuit is fully charged your bike will not start as quickly as it once did before installing the PCIII.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:24 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Rumour is the 08's will have wide band 02 sensors and will autotune any combo ya might decide to run."

Yep, that's what I heard too...tuning devices will be a thing of the past! You will be able to turn an '08 into an instant monster with a few bolt ons. Already have a deposit on the first '08 CVO Street Glide to hit town.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:43 PM
Bagger_Dave
Cruiser

Great thing about this country - you can buy what you feel is best. Either product is good, I just prefer to spread my money around and wisely. Dont think the MOCO needs it all. The got $19K for the bike.
Amen brother!!

Quick Reply: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!