Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 02:59 PM
Bigredone
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

I never really count how many revolutions before mine starts. I just glad it starts. Still beat the he11 out of kick starting!!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:04 PM
ironhorse
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid me, I got a PC III and Draggin Baggers. Whats next for me?

IronHorse

Old 02-21-2007, 03:06 PM
onlythebest
Road Warrior

Thanks for the info Gunrunner.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:08 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gutman....Do we know for sure that long term failures are high. Another question I have SERT vs PCIII. If one or the other should fail on you out on the road somewhere, I know you can just unplug the PCIII and run on your ECM settings. Can you do this with the SERT also?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Branded

Maybe the Dynojet folks will stumble across this thread and attempt to find a remedy.
I just sent an e-mail to Dynojet tech support with links to both threads

Old 02-21-2007, 03:21 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: FLHT

Gutman....Do we know for sure that long term failures are high. Another question I have SERT vs PCIII. If one or the other should fail on you out on the road somewhere, I know you can just unplug the PCIII and run on your ECM settings. Can you do this with the SERT also?
Thats a easy answer, NO WAY! Afterall a SERT is not even a tangable object, it's just a key that allows the stock ecm to be reprogramed. If your sert modified stock ecm fails you loose the SERT as well forever as it can only be used once on a ECM. So once you use it to enter your stock ECM it is married to that ECM and can never be used on another.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:23 PM
Gutman
Road Master

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

ORIGINAL: Gutman

I don't understand half the people on this site. This has been a known problem in the industry, this is not breaking news. Whenever there is a post on this site PC vs. SERT everyone has their opinions and most are the SERT is too much and dealers are just out to steal your money. Now when everyone hears this they say "I will live with it?" If this problem was with the SERT and the MOCO said they were doing nothing about it, we would be on the 23rd page already. Like I have always said, you get what you pay for. The PowerCommander is not superior to the SERT, only less expensive and works OK. The long term affect is that it still uses consumer grade electronics (same as your kids PS3 or X-Box) and long term failures are high.
Well your right about the dealers and the SERT, 400+ for a link to reprogram your own stock ECM. hookup cable not included. And as for this being a Known issue? I never new it when I bought mine back in october, and niether did many others, heck till some of us figured out it was a power issue most everyone thought it was a map related problem. The true problem has only come to light in the past few days and is now documented in writing by Dynojets responce listed above.
Don't get me wrong I would share any advise I had with anyone to help out, and I agree that the PC is more owner friendly. I myself understand that you (or your bank) holds the title to your bike not me. That means you can do what you want. Shame on PC for not telling you their problems when you bought their product, not me. FLHT, as for the long term issues, I worked at a dealership for 15 years and have replaced many PC's and only a few ECM's.You ask that if something fails what are you going to plug in to get home? Your stock ECM still works, that means your tune is still working. Thank's for the info Gunrunner. At least you can have an opinion.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:30 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Branded

Maybe the Dynojet folks will stumble across this thread and attempt to find a remedy.
I just sent an e-mail to Dynojet tech support with links to both threads
Im sure they have been reading it already. I for one will be removing my Dynojet Powercommander III in the very near future if Dynojet doesnt offer me a way to power it up correctly eleminating the slow start up issue . I will go with the reprogram of my ecm by the SERT (screaming eagle race tuner) and have it set up on my dealers dyno.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:32 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: gunrunner

Thats a easy answer, NO WAY! Afterall a SERT is not even a tangable object, it's just a key that allows the stock ecm to be reprogramed. If your sert modified stock ecm fails you loose the SERT as well forever as it can only be used once on a ECM. So once you use it to enter your stock ECM it is married to that ECM and can never be used on another.
So if you do have an ECM fail, which is very possible, you have pissed away the 4 or 5 bills you spent on the SERT

Old 02-21-2007, 03:35 PM
aussie2
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: ironhorse

Stupid me, I got a PC III and Draggin Baggers. Whats next for me?

IronHorse
Keep bringing this stuff up boys. Some of us have not been around that long and need the information. Hell...i don't even know what Draggin Baggers are. Sounds like an extreme lowering kit to me!

I knew nothing about my '07 until I joined this site. I not only know a 'little' now, but I know some of the problems I might expect after I clock a few more miles on it.

Keep the good work up, there are a lot of us reading these sites with interest.

Quick Reply: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!