Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 11:38 PM
nada1
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!

So....sfter all this fine reading...my uestion is simple....is the slow starting ONLY on th 06 and 07 year bikes? all I have are pipes and se air cleaner, but my bike is an 05......so will it start on the first shot if I wait till the light goes out???

Old 03-02-2007, 12:33 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: nada1

So....sfter all this fine reading...my uestion is simple....is the slow starting ONLY on th 06 and 07 year bikes? all I have are pipes and se air cleaner, but my bike is an 05......so will it start on the first shot if I wait till the light goes out???
It seems to be limited to most all 06, (I say this because one person who has a 06 (BH)swears his doesn't do it) and all 07s. Its due to a change by harley in the way the ECM is powered.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:15 PM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 61 Posts

I think the way to confirm is it to remove your sidecover and watch the PCIII when you turn the key on. If the green light goes out, it looks to me like the power is out. I have an 06 and it acts this way, but never investigated it on an 05 or earlier. I do know that for me to be able to load a new map, I need to either have the bike running, or use the 9v adapter, because just turning the key on, the unit does NOT get recognized by the PC software, which for me confirms the fact that its not getting power after the fuel pump initializes. Not an issue for me, my bike starts on the beginning of the 2nd engine revolution, which I view as a NON ISSUE.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:12 PM
nada1
Advanced

So for me, what is the best way to go.....all I have are v&h Ovals with the SE air filter, and thats all I plan to ever do.. I have an 05 with the dealer stage one download, so with my setup, would the PC or sert even be worth my time....I can get the pc for $275 or the sert for $350, but I assume the maps would be close to the 05 dealer download tht I already have.....new to this FI stuff, so just trying to find as many opinions as I can....

Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 PM
FACTION95
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So for me, what is the best way to go.....all I have are v&h Ovals with the SE air filter, and thats all I plan to ever do.. I have an 05 with the dealer stage one download, so with my setup, would the PC or sert even be worth my time....I can get the pc for $275 or the sert for $350, but I assume the maps would be close to the 05 dealer download tht I already have.....new to this FI stuff, so just trying to find as many opinions as I can....
Well do you like the way your bike runs now? If so then leave it alone. If not I would look into the SERT or even the V&H Fuel Pack.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Dsanchez
Road Captain

Maps on the SERT or PC would be SOOOO much better than the stage one dealer download. You will almost definitely have deceleration popping at a minimum with the download where you can eliminate that (and many other issues) with the SERT or PC.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:34 PM
sdpage
Advanced

Thanks for the post! I've been wavering back and fourth and you just made my decision for me.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25978/0151174B17544A04A4C361ECE1AAAA7D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-02-2007, 11:41 PM
hd2007
Road Warrior

I have a 07 SG and have had a fuek pak and now a power commander. I bought the fuel pak because the PC was not out yet , and the bike ran fine with stock headers and V&H slip ons , High flow A/C . When it came available I purchased the PC I have not been able to ride much do to the weather , but as far as the starting issue it does not seem to be a big deal at all . It might turn over 2 or 3 revolutions before firing cold and hot seems normal. I have not read this whole thread so I don't know what other have been saying.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Overlappinglittlepig
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I've got a pc111 on my 07 ultra. works fantastic without 02 sensors. This pc111 vs. sert debate is nothing more than a pissing contest. No matter which one you use, with or without 02 sensors your bike is going to run way better and cooler than it did with the stock mapping. I personally feel the power commander is taking a bad rap because it is not an hd part. It is an aftermarket unit. Where do you think we would all be and what kind of products we would have if there wasn't such a thing as aftermarket parts? What would a sert cost if there was no other option? Just my 2 cents worth. My pc111 really woke up my ultra. Until it fails or gives me any greif I will think it's the best thing I ever bought for my bike.

Old 03-03-2007, 03:44 AM
I Am The Dawg
Novice

ORIGINAL: FACTION95

Dyno Jet has only been making Power Commanders for Harleys for a few years now. From speaking with Jamie at Fuel Moto he says that get about 10 Harleys for every 1 Jap bike that has a problem with the Power Commander.

If you put the zip ties back on the cables and put the mounting bracket back in there would be no way to tell that a PC3 was installed on a Harley.
FACTION95, your logic is flawed, Power Commanders are commonly not installed properly on all bikes, Harleys dont have as good of an intake system as 'Jap' bikes so the problems are more prevalent.

Quick Reply: THINKING OF BUYING PCIII? NOTICE TO 06-07 READ THIS FIRST!