Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Windshield Rattle (@ Idle)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:09 AM
unclekunkle
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Glide Windshield Rattle (@ Idle)

Since day one, my '07 RG's windshield rattles at idle in it's rubber mounting. A few days after bringing it home, I removed the shield and re-installed, finding nothing out of the ordinary. Recently, I sprayed a little silicon down between the shield and the dash, also with negetive results. I've come to the conclusion that it's a normal noise. Or is it? If so, has anyone found a remedy?

Old 02-21-2007, 06:40 AM
deadeye1340?
Cruiser
Default RE: Road Glide Windshield Rattle (@ Idle)

What length of windshield is it? What is it rattling against? Is it in fact the windshield making the racket? I have an 01 and have no problems with mine, except keeping the damn rubber under the windshield.....

Old 02-21-2007, 10:24 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: unclekunkle

Since day one, my '07 RG's windshield rattles at idle in it's rubber mounting. A few days after bringing it home, I removed the shield and re-installed, finding nothing out of the ordinary. Recently, I sprayed a little silicon down between the shield and the dash, also with negetive results. I've come to the conclusion that it's a normal noise. Or is it? If so, has anyone found a remedy?
Not normal! I've had two RG's and have never had the problem you describe. If the screws are snug in the well nuts, then maybe it is the gasket that goes around the bottom of the windshield that is vibrating since you say it keeps coming loose. Hmmm. Try this: remove the windshield and the offending gasket. Take a toothpick and daub some clear silicone every few inches inside that gasket and install it on the windshield and masking tape it to hold in place. Give it an overnight to set and reinstall. Worth a try.

When you need to replace your windshield for whatever reason try a ClearView Shield out of Bailey, Colorado. Excellent products, good people, good service.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:24 AM
schultz
Tourer

On my sons it will shake at idle some but does not rattle-yet, rubber keeps coming off the bottome of it. I will second the comment on Clearview sheilds. We just got the ones in we ordered a couple of days ago and it is obivous just looking at them that they are far superior to the ones HD puts on. And all the comments I have read about them on different forums none have been nagative. I am off this weekend so I will get them on and see how they do. We just ordered the stock heights for ours.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:25 AM
bob53
Cruiser

I have the same problem on my 05 EGlide. It only rattles when its cold out. When it warms up it goes away. You don't want to tighten the screws too tight you'll strip the threads. Its only plastic.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:36 AM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

Remove the stock shield and trash it, and get yourself a Clearview www.clearviewshields.com. They are thicker, have a better rubber gasket,and better wellnuts. So you shouldn't have anymore shaking after that.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:20 PM
ratbikejohnny
Novice

I have an 06 thats vibrates like crazy and is noisy as hell at idle and slow speeds when engine is lugging. Im also on my 3rd windshield thru warranty because scratches have formed in the black tint along the bottom where the fairing meets the windshield on both sides. Dealer claims hes never seen this but Ive seen several used windshields on ebay with the same scratches as well as other Road Glides with the same problem. Last time they replaced it they added a double stick foam strip between the shield and the fairing but it has already peeled itself out from weather, wind etc. I expect it to happen again but this one has held up for about 4000 miles now where my others scratched witin 1000 miles on the new bike. Other than that nagging issue Im sold on Road Glides after owning Dynas and Softails over the years.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:42 PM
gunrunner
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If its the rubber, I fixed mine by taking off windshield and using automotive goo, a clear super strong glue. I put dabs on the shield edge about every 2" and installed rubber on shield and let dry overnite before re-installing. No rattle and no rubber falling off anymore.

Old 02-21-2007, 12:50 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

ORIGINAL: ratbikejohnny

I have an 06 thats vibrates like crazy and is noisy as hell at idle and slow speeds when engine is lugging. Im also on my 3rd windshield thru warranty because scratches have formed in the black tint along the bottom where the fairing meets the windshield on both sides.
Mine rattles and has the scratches also.
I just placed some black foam in those areas like you did.

Old 02-21-2007, 01:40 PM
unclekunkle
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Mr Wonderful
Not normal! When you need to replace your windshield for whatever reason try a ClearView Shield out of Bailey, Colorado.
Thanks for the feedback everybody. Last night a friend turned me on to a tube of "silicon paste"...this otta be more effective than the spray I used before. I'm gonna take it apart again, dress the rubber and see if that takes care of it. I appreciate the comments on "ClearView" though...cause I am considering a slightly taller shield next go-round.

Quick Reply: Road Glide Windshield Rattle (@ Idle)