Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide Windshield Rattle (@ Idle)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 03:18 PM
TowJam
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Road Glide Windshield Rattle (@ Idle)

Apologies for what may be a stupid question but how difficult is it to remove and swap windshields on the Road Glide? Is it simply a matter of unscrewing the 6 screws (or however many there are) at the base of the shield, lifting it out and dropping the new one in? Any potential "gotcha's" to look out for (for example, dropping a screw or washer down into the fairing)?

Old 02-21-2007, 03:44 PM
HOOSIER
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: TowJam

Apologies for what may be a stupid question but how difficult is it to remove and swap windshields on the Road Glide? Is it simply a matter of unscrewing the 6 screws (or however many there are) at the base of the shield, lifting it out and dropping the new one in? Any potential "gotcha's" to look out for (for example, dropping a screw or washer down into the fairing)?
I have the same question....

Old 02-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Thundercloud
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a piece of cake!! Remove the five screws from the well nuts, take off shield and then put new one on. Make sure the well nuts stay in place and then work from the center back on both sides and then after you get all the screws started, snug them down from the center back. ***** Key Word SNUG ***** do not over tighten or you may damage the well nut and it can pop loose while riding. Ask me how I know!! LOL!!!

If you get the Clearview you will never need or want to change again so get that and only do it once.

Old 02-23-2007, 01:54 PM
goober
2nd Gear

I also own an 05 RG. I have had my bike back to the shop numerous times for vibrations for windshield and front end. The problem is two things. #1 the motor mounts need to be changed. Seems HD does not want to have a recall on this matter. #2 The setting for the front end Torque is set at 3, This was changed at 5,000 miles. This should be increased to 4 or 5. Theyincrease the front end torque atthe 10,000 mile check up to 4 or 5. I talked with thundercloud about this issue back in the summer. I checked myMotor Mounts and they were loose. Went to Hd and they changed Motor Mounts. Went back three more times, they changed windshield and did torque tightenning on front end. The problem went completely away. The windshields suck. I second Clearview shields.
Chuck

Old 02-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Dioglidesx2
Advanced

I have an '02 RG and it develops a windshield rattle that turned out to be the inner fairing rattling against the outer fairing above the radio. Put some pressure on it there while it's rattling to see if it stops.I put a piece of foam between the radio and the inner fairing to stop it. As for the windshield mounting itself, I removed the outer fairing with the windshield still attached and drilled the windshield and fairing to accept another screw and wellnut between the outside ones on each sidefor a more secure mount. I had the windshield come out of the mounting on a very windy day at a fuel stop. 4 of the 5 screws go through slots in the windshield with only the center one being a round hole. I also installed a flat washer on the 2 outside wellnuts from the backbefore tightening them. The mounting holes in the fairing are oval and allow the wellnuts to pull through very easily. A 3/8 flat washer fits over the wellnut very well.

Old 02-24-2007, 03:12 AM
unclekunkle
Tourer

ORIGINAL: unclekunkle
Thanks for the feedback everybody. Last night a friend turned me on to a tube of "silicon paste"...this otta be more effective than the spray I used before. I'm gonna take it apart again, dress the rubber and see if that takes care of it. I appreciate the comments on "ClearView" though...cause I am considering a slightly taller shield next go-round.
Just an update here...after this second windshield removal, it turned outnot to be the shield itself rattling, (noise amplified by it though) but ratheran internal fairing rattle such as was described by Dioglidesx2 on his feedback.The rattle would stop as he mentioned when I put pressure on the dash above the radio. For now, to avoid the process of seperating the inner and outer fairing until I buy some new Hogtunes speakers, I was able to finagle between with some of that silicon paste enough so that the noise is at least temporarily abated. Special note for others to avoid... If you remember, I had originally thought a little squirt of silicon spray shot down between the shield and dash would be the quick fix...well the silicon reacted to the black painted surface at the base of the shield, F#@*^%G it up.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:49 AM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Willl be taking my SG in for 10k service and hope that they will take my fairing/windshield rattle seriously. It's hard to isolate where it's coming from except there is a clatter in 1st gear from startup and at idle, mostly on the right side. Driving me CRAZY

Old 02-25-2007, 12:46 AM
Dioglidesx2
Advanced

Just one more thing to check when you split that fairing. Look closely at the outer fairing just below the windshield on the inside about where the sides of the radio mounting cradle intersect with the fairing. I had a previous rattle that was caused by interferencehere. I glued a piece of softer nylon webbing across the edges of the radio cradle to take up the slack where this was hitting. It's easy to spot as there will be 2 grooves wearing into the outer fairing with maybe a little white dust which is ground up fairing. There is a lot of flex in these fairings because of their bulk. I seem to have to "adjust" my fairing every 2or 3 years to compensate for something else colliding underthere! Part of the "ownership experience" I guess!

Old 02-25-2007, 02:19 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently thought I had a rattle with my windshield on my SG. Turned out to be a loose srew on the bracket that holds the inner fairing on.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:54 AM
edilgdaor
Banned
Received 6,612 Likes on 3,880 Posts

I used to notice a windshield rattle on my '06 RG, at the same time the fairing trim kept coming out betweeen the fairing front and rear. When the fairing trim gets fixed, I don't notice the windshieldrattling. But then, the fairing trim is coming out again ( for the 3rd GRRRR time ) so I'll try to pay attention and see if the windshield rattles.

For some beereason, I'm having trouble typing. I could either go ride my scooter in the rain and check for windshield rattle, or go to bed. What should I do ?