Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Glide vs Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:01 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior

The street glide is best on the street and the road glide is best on the road.

I don't have either, I just had to post the smart *** comment that popped in my head.

Anyway, I hear of a lot of buffeting issues with the SG. I don't have any with ultra with the lowers, tall windshield and fairing wind deflectors. I have a little on the RK when I put my feet on the pegs, but I think I'm gonna get lowers for it too.

Also, the batwing definitely feels heavy on the bars, but it's pretty balanced and easy to get used to, even when switching back and forth between it and the RK. It's like power assisted steering, except gravity assisted.

Last edited by Clubber; 05-07-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-07-2013 | 10:05 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member

As far as protection to the rider and passenger, the Bat Wing gives much more protection, especially for the riders hands, and better wind pocket for the passenger.

Most people that have chosen the Shark nose will recommend it , and most who have purchased the Bat Wing will recommend it. Otherwise they would have not made their individual purchase choices.

Personally I believe that for most all around use, the Bat Wing is the obvious choice, but for long distance touring, the Shark Nose gets the nod for it's ability to cut a clean hole throught the air, and with less weight on the handle bars.

Most would agree that both solutions are winners.

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:07 PM
Joker65
Road Captain

As stated above, ride them both!
Seriously tho, it's a personal choice.

I have ridden Road Kings the past 9 years, and love them!
I've rented a RG one weekend; I liked it, but didn't love it. I prefer the Batwings.

My older brother has had the Fugly Ultra the past 1-1/2 years, never really liked it, but found he was always convincing himself he did.
Say's it always felt top heavy and never got comfortable; he's been riding for 30+ years with a batwing fairing the last 8, prior to the RG Ultra.
He just traded it for a 2013 Ultra Ltd and feels like he's back home. (He rides about 20k miles/year.)

Good luck, and I'm a bit jealous.... my decisions over the next week aren't nearly as exciting!!

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:08 PM
Razorback Rob
|
Road Captain

For the record. I have ridden both. I repeat. I have ridden both. I'm just interested in some opinions of people who have ridden both bikes more than I have. Maybe a little comparison.

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:13 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

SG has the "look"
RG has the "ride"
I loved my RG
I put up with my batwing

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 05-07-2013 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-07-2013 | 10:15 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by kustom78
this is a straight out personal choice you need to make, ......
..... just go ahead & buy the Road Glide, you can thank us later.... really.

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:16 PM
bberck
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Razorback Rob
For the record. I have ridden both. I repeat. I have ridden both. I'm just interested in some opinions of people who have ridden both bikes more than I have. Maybe a little comparison.
I went back and forth when I bougt mine. I test rode both and still couldnt decide. So I just spent a couple hours hanging out at the dealer after the test rides and finally noticed I was spending more time looking and sittjng on the SG so I went with it.

Both great bikes and definately less RG on the rode but you just need to de ide which speaks to you.

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:17 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member

I vote street glide. I put close to 100,000 miles on my 04 EGC and I am at about 27000 miles on my 2011 RGU and I have to say I much perfer the batwing. i personally think the bat wing is better looking there is less buffeting behind the batwing compared to the roadglide fairing.

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:21 PM
JC0311
Road Captain

I like both too, its a hard choice. Ive ridden the road glide and I liked the smoothness, the stock windshield sucks but that's an easy fix.

Old 05-07-2013 | 11:17 PM
Rosspbig
2nd Gear

Came down to looks and my own riding habits. I do mostly in town, day rides, and I think the SG looks better. If I was doing longer rides out of state often I would have gotten the RG. The windshields suck for both of them and is easy to remedy. I had alot of buffeting on my SG initially, but then I installed the 6" windsplitter and front fork air baffle and it took care of 75% of the buffeting. I could get a KW 8.5" to really solve the problem but hey, its a motorcycle. A little wind is ok IMO.

Quick Reply: Street Glide vs Road Glide