Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflash Vs. Power commander?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013 | 08:07 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Why would anyone pay $300 to a dealer to stay lean? This is one of those "no-brainers". Go with the PCV, it gives you complete control and cuts the cord with the HD dealer service department and the hemorrhage of money in their direction. If it were me, I would go with the Power Vision and do my own flashing. That way, you keep control of your tune and have the ability to monitor a ton of other operating parameters.

Old 05-07-2013 | 08:10 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

Just get the Xied's and leave it at that. You do not need a tuner unless you want to be able to play with it. If all you want is to set it and forget about it then get the Xied's.

Old 05-07-2013 | 08:29 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Just get the Xied's and leave it at that. You do not need a tuner unless you want to be able to play with it. If all you want is to set it and forget about it then get the Xied's.

+1
Can't beat 'em for the price and they are a real plug and play device. I put VIED's on my wife's bike for the added option of a small amount of adjustability. If you're doing no more than Stage-1 these are the cat's a$$.

Old 05-07-2013 | 08:29 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Look for a used PC-V here on this site in the Touring parts classifieds.
Mine has done me a great job!!
Recommended!!

That way down the road if you want to a better breather(stage 1) or add cams,
which you probably will, the PC-V will adapt.
The Xied's will not adapt to new cams.
Capeche?

Old 05-07-2013 | 09:38 AM
CWO USN
Road Captain

Recommend the PC-V over the HD reflash. A number of posted replies in this thread and others in the forum (search) confirms the positives of the PC-V over the reflash. It is cost-effective in the long run.

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:33 AM
Groucho1
|
Tourer
Default Thanks...

I did the complete exhaust system. I started with the S E slip-on's last year, then 2 weeks ago did the headers.
I won't use any adjustability...It's plenty fast the way it is. I'm just trying to get it adjusted so it doesn't run lean, and stops pinging.
It is not a HD dealer...It's a local reputable shop....

Any other thoughts?

Old 05-07-2013 | 10:50 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by Groucho1
I did the complete exhaust system. I started with the S E slip-on's last year, then 2 weeks ago did the headers.
I won't use any adjustability...It's plenty fast the way it is. I'm just trying to get it adjusted so it doesn't run lean, and stops pinging.
It is not a HD dealer...It's a local reputable shop....

Any other thoughts?
Yeah, read this thread - https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...nder-load.html
The OP was having pinging problems and the whole gambit was run through. If you have a pinging problem you will need to adjust the timing. The main problem is where to adjust the timing. You haven't said what you are riding, but if it is a TBW then I would absolutely recommend the Power Vision. You can datalog to find out where you need to pull timing in real time on the road. Your shop is probably not going to be able to do that. JMO.

Old 05-07-2013 | 11:50 AM
Eshaw301
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wild Card
See there ''expert'' Harley's lean condition can't be fixed without a tuner or efi tune of somsort...so therefore its irelevent of the problem being slip ons or not.
So true my friend...but, the OP said he was running lean and pinging after slip-ons. Thats not normal at all. Slip ons will not make our bikes run lean. All im saying is that he needs to find out why that is happening before he goes any further.

Old 05-07-2013 | 01:10 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Groucho1
I had my stock pipes changed out to V&H headers. It seems to be running lean and I'm getting some pinging under light acceleration. My shop offered me a remap of stock settings for under 300.00. I think the Power Commander will be close to 400.
Any thoughts? What will the P C give me above the remap?
Originally Posted by Eshaw301
So true my friend...but, the OP said he was running lean and pinging after slip-ons. Thats not normal at all. Slip ons will not make our bikes run lean. All im saying is that he needs to find out why that is happening before he goes any further.
You are correct my friend... but the OP did not mention slip ons. He did mention V&H headers, and V&H headers do not equal slip-ons.

To the OP, if the "remap" is the standard dealer download, save your money. I'd personally do any other tuner over a dealer download, even the V&H fuelpak...

Old 05-07-2013 | 02:53 PM
Groucho1
|
Tourer
Default My bad.....

I forgot this forum isn't like others that the model will show easily,

I ride a 2012 RKC.
Again...the remap is not at a Harley dealer...it's an independent shop.

Quick Reply: Reflash Vs. Power commander?