Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflash Vs. Power commander?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013 | 11:15 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Actually both of you are wrong on this point as Dynojet does have a shop version of the Power Vision where shops can buy the license and flash tune without needing to have a PV unit for every bike they tune. Not what I wanted, but it is available.
Grouch1, I agree with Uncle Larry that the shop download will be a waste of money. With your bike being a throttle by wire model the Power Vision is the way to go. With your bike having a stock tune and producing excess heat, you definitely want to use synthetic oil. Don't ask which one, that will really get em going.
Didn't know about shop version of PV. Man, I bet the harley lawyers are looking at it????
I also agree the harley download is a waste.
Oil?

Old 05-08-2013 | 03:49 AM
my67pnycar
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Groucho1
I did the complete exhaust system. I started with the S E slip-on's last year, then 2 weeks ago did the headers.
I won't use any adjustability...It's plenty fast the way it is. I'm just trying to get it adjusted so it doesn't run lean, and stops pinging.
It is not a HD dealer...It's a local reputable shop....

Any other thoughts?

You have already done exhaust and headpipe. If you are NOT going to do anything else get a big sucker and XIED's, under 300 bucks and DONE. Just sayin!

Old 05-08-2013 | 08:52 PM
Groucho1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by $tonecold
Actually both of you are wrong on this point as Dynojet does have a shop version of the Power Vision where shops can buy the license and flash tune without needing to have a PV unit for every bike they tune. Not what I wanted, but it is available.
Grouch1, I agree with Uncle Larry that the shop download will be a waste of money. With your bike being a throttle by wire model the Power Vision is the way to go. With your bike having a stock tune and producing excess heat, you definitely want to use synthetic oil. Don't ask which one, that will really get em going.

I was being a wiseass with the oil question.....I know Dino is better.

Old 05-08-2013 | 09:11 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

I had my stock pipes changed out to V&H headers. It seems to be running lean and I'm getting some pinging under light acceleration. My shop offered me a remap of stock settings for under 300.00. I think the Power Commander will be close to 400.
Any thoughts? What will the P C give me above the remap?

Find a different shop. I had mine reflashed at the dealership for $150.00. And it was NOT a total waste of money. My bike is noticeably quicker, has better top end (easily hits 115 mph where before it struggled to hit 100 mph before), runs a bit cooler (isn't cutting off the rear cylinder at traffic lights as soon as it was before), and no longer has any decel pop. It was TOTALLY WORTH THE MONEY.

And the only mod, other than the flash, is V&H slip-ons. No other mods whatsoever.

Last edited by DannyZ71; 05-08-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-08-2013 | 11:08 PM
Fishrrman
Road Warrior

If you're willing to spend around $300 for a "flash", then you might as well spend enough more to get a Power Commander.

The flash may satisfy you. But if it doesn't, it's $300 spent that you can't modify.

With the PC, if one map doesn't suit your bike, you can always load another one, until you find the right combination. So you're not "locked in" to only one map, like you will be with a re-flash.

Old 05-08-2013 | 11:53 PM
Roadie53
Road Captain

I forgot this forum isn't like others that the model will show easily,

I ride a 2012 RKC.
Again...the remap is not at a Harley dealer...it's an independent shop.
I ride a '12 FLHR. Put on Rush slipons SE AC and bought a PCV from Fuelmoto.They installed the map closest to my setup but the bike still seemed a bit sluggish to me. Took it to local HD shop and had it dynoed for $170 and it has been running awesome ever since.
Plan on new cams soon so I will probably spend the extra money and dyno it again. Local HD tech is damn good on doing the dyno's right.
Good luck on whatever you choose.

Old 05-09-2013 | 10:22 AM
Groucho1
|
Tourer

I was being a wiseass with the oil question.....I know Dino is better.
Crap....I meant to say synthetic is better...Damm...what was the question again?

Old 05-09-2013 | 11:01 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Why is a dealer reflash so expensive? They told me it takes about 30 minutes?? Reason I ask is I just had my motor built with a PC and installed ACR's. I have to go get a reflash to enable the ACR to work. Sorry for getting off track.

Old 05-09-2013 | 11:21 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

Crap....I meant to say synthetic is better...Damm...what was the question again?
This is pretty much what I equate to this thread.

Old 05-09-2013 | 07:49 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by bagman1
Why is a dealer reflash so expensive? They told me it takes about 30 minutes?? Reason I ask is I just had my motor built with a PC and installed ACR's. I have to go get a reflash to enable the ACR to work. Sorry for getting off track.

He needs to find another dealer. The dealer flash should cost no more than $150.00. At least that is what it costs around here.

Quick Reply: Reflash Vs. Power commander?