Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed my 15.5" apes!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 05:55 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Installed my 15.5" apes!

Took me a few hours over a 3 day period but I finally got them done. I originally bought some PYO MBBs in 14" but after researching and wondering how I would wire them, I went with 15.5" Vindikta bars which are 1.5" diameter. Joe is a standup guy to deal with the bars are GREAT! I also added J&M rokker XT speakers and 250 watt amp while it was apart. My only gripe is that with these thick bars, I can't push them any further forward and the console doesn't fit up against the fairing nice and tight. Luckily all my wiring worked after connecting everything which was a huge relief. They feel awesome with the Kury ISO grips to hold onto.

Tear down, wiring, and assembly wasn't bad. My soldering gun wasn't great so wiring took awhile along with fishing a string through the throttle side after the TBW was in there but I managed. Clutch and brakes weren't bad either, just time consuming. I took my time and stayed very organized so without further a do...here are pics.

Cut out this pesky plug

Staying organized

Bars mocked up

All done!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:11 PM
Boyer8
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOOKS AWESOME!!!!! You're not done. Let's talk 21" wheel and lets get some more black on that bike.... lol Really looks good. How do you like the ride with them? I love mine!!!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Denver Dave
Road Master
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

That's badass. I bet the bigger diameter made the pull easier.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 PM
525tom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet looking! Joe at Vindikta was great to work with on my bar purchase as well.

Curious, I noticed you said you can't push the bars up any further. Can you push the bars far enough forward so that the vertical tubes of the bars are perpendicular to the ground? Basically straight up and down?

This was something that I spoke to Joe about when he was doing my bar build. I had him add a few extra degrees in the bend where the vertical tubes and the base of the bars meet. It worked perfect for my bike and my bars can be pushed enough forward so that the vertical tubes are perpendicular to the ground. It was the look that I was going for.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:39 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Thanks Rich! I really like how they feel and they're way better than my Fatboys apes. Just gonna rock it like this until next deployment and I can get some nice wheels. I wanted to black it out like yours but I think the chrome and black stand out so good.

And yes the diameter made it ALOT easier to pull. I had these and the MBBs side by side and wasn't sure how it would work with the smaller ones.

Old 05-06-2013, 07:26 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Mine are vertical and that concerned me as well. Wished they were a bit more forward but I don't like this stock seat anyways so once I get it dialed in I'll be even more happy. I think if those uprights are inline with the forks it looks weird. If you see my sig pic I had my old apes WAY forward and probably more than that after the pic was taken.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:55 AM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice bar, love it

Old 05-07-2013, 06:34 PM
lizard86
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What size windshield is that for reference? I've been debating on having Joe build a set of 14s but now i'm thinking i just might go a little higher.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:47 PM
mac0478
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice mate. Good job!

Old 05-07-2013, 06:56 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Stock which is 4" I think.

Quick Reply: Installed my 15.5" apes!