Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Packing tip? Saddle bag liners - Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:35 AM
SouthpawHD
Extreme HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_M
If you don't have the HD bags, there's another option that I saw down at Outer Banks Bike Week: http://www.storagepouches.com/#!__products

Same size and shape as the HD bags, but have the zipper around the edge so that you can open it like a suitcase.
Looks like decent stuff, but a bit spendy for a larger zipper area, IMO.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:38 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VB2KDH
I have saddlebag and tour pack liners from HD. I keep one saddlebag filled with necessary rain gear, 1/2 rain cover and tool kits. Other saddlebag and tour pack for clothes for grab and go when at destination. can always squeeze a few more items on top once inserted. Innovativesolutions.com offers same style bags but with side zippers so items are accessible like those in a suit case. They also have tool bags that fit in the dead space on bottom of hard bag.

Are you sure you gave the right URL? I don't see much in the way of luggage or anything else concerning motorcycles.

Pretty much everything in both saddlebags stays in the saddlebags. I have other, strap on luggage I use to carry stuff that goes into a hotel room with me. So the saddlebag liners are useless to me.

Last edited by jjnoble; 05-07-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

Whatever type you use, a bag that you can prepack/drop in/lift out and go is better than trying to pack/unpack by the side of the road! I use the HD soft bags.

Also, I use those roll-up compression bags that have a valve that lets the air out - they make a hell of a difference to the space that clothes & sleeping bags take up. HD makes some, but they're kind of expensive when you can get them from travel and bedding shops. Just don't get the kind that need a vacuum cleaner to suck the air out!

Old 05-07-2013, 10:37 AM
Griff012FLHX
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Get them from River roads, cheaper.
I like mine for trips.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:55 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How much room do the soft liners take up? I mean they are really pretty thin. I love mine and its makes it so much easier to unpack at the end of the day. I cant see myself lugging in clothes from the bags.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:19 PM
mgibson61611
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oilhog
I use mine all the time and always when on a trip. They kinda keep you from overpacking! When you hit a motel late you can just grab-n-go.

+1 I like the 'grab-n-go' aspect as well. My wife and I do the same with her bike; but in that instance, it's a mid-sized T-bag on her sissy bar. I can be packed/unpacked in seconds.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM
MikeBel
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,522 Likes on 649 Posts

Thank you all! Lots of good info. I was referring to the HD deluxe bags when I said I was concerned about the space they take up; they look too bulky. I see pretty much everyone uses the soft-sided thin bags, which is what I'll get. I really like those bags w/ the full zipper, so thanks for that link.

Probably could fill pages with all the touring knowledge you guys have. Thanks for sharing!! We just got our RKC in November and are looking forward to some nice trips; especially now that the kids are old enough to be home alone for a night or 2.

Ride safe and ride often!
Mike

Old 05-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just went to the hiking store. They have nice compact waterproof bags for about 20 bucks...they have kept my clothes dry on many trips...at the end of the day, just garb them and bring them in the room. They have diff. sizes, pick the one that fits your bags. Have a safe trip.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:37 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I know this is tacky, but I use plastic Walmart type shopping bags when it comes to my clothes/shaving kit, etc on trips. Items are grouped according to category (shaving kit items for example) so that I can just grab the handles of that plastic bag and it slips right out real easy and goes back in easy. The slick plastic makes shaping them and pressing things down into the saddle bag really easy (NO space wasted). Other items like tshirts, BVD's, socks, etc can be in their own bag so it's easy to pick what you're looking for - or just grab them all and pull them out and go into the motel room.

I don't stay at Marriott's so this packing method works just fine. It maximized space in the bag, makes selecting and pulling out a particular set of items easy and they're FREE...

Now generally my everyday items in the bags are just in there - leather tool roll, hand-wipes, etc. But clothes and travel items is what I'm talking about here. Simple and cheap.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:33 PM
VB2KDH
Road Master

Received 256 Likes on 87 Posts

correction on website. it is storagepouches.com.

Quick Reply: Packing tip? Saddle bag liners - Worth it?