Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 PM
OldArmy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dfndr
That bike is too big for a novice. Why be scared shitless every time you get on it? Just my opinion but, first take a MSF course and learn some basics, then spend some money on a used Honda or Kawasaki 250 and ride it for a couple of months and get the basics down and get some confidence. When you sell it you'll be money ahead considering the repairs and med bills from dropping or crashing the big bike. Good luck.
+1. This is a good solution. You made a big mistake, it's too much bike for someone who hasn't ridden before. You should get the smaller bike and learn to ride, then go back to the SG. If you don't you'll drop it, you'll have constant trouble maneuvering, perhaps even have an accident (hope not). Park it and start again, it'll wait until you are competent.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:01 PM
jus2anoyu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't give up on your new hobby, you'll have a cool bike to ride and be proud of when your confidence level rises. When, not if, but when that big bike gets the best of you and you drop it, it will be a turning point. You will either suck it up and master it, or you'll be selling it for pennies on the dollar. If this is your 'mid life crisis' bike, just go ahead and hang a for sale sign on the bars. If you have the burning desire to taste freedom the way it was meant to be, you will not give up until you ride it like you stole it!

Old 05-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Keep the Harley if you like. But I would recommend you pick up a smaller bike to start on. Like a 250cc bike. You are going to fall. Until you do, IMHO, you will not be much of a rider. Falling on a cheap little bike does not hurt as much as falling with $10K bike. And picking up a small bike is easier, too.

Find a riding course. They can bring up "up to speed" about riding quickly.

Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DON'T get discouraged! You can do this! Thank your personal God that you DIDN'T buy a sportster. Don't forget, you can slip the clutch when you're trying to make a tight slow turn, you don't have to keep the clutch out and commit to it every time. I don't know if that makes sense...Don't know any better way to explain it. By all means, practice in a big parking lot. Start with big wide turns and slowly tighten em up. always give yourself enough room to turn. Eventually you'll be able to do a full lock turn but it ain't going to be this week or next or probably the one after that. It's a big bike, it takes some getting used to. Take an experienced rider to watch you and see what it is your doing wrong. Watch them do it. have them tell you when they're pushing or pulling on the bars. Watch their body position. Ride around on the back of the bike and watch what they're doing. If you're trying to steer the bike by pulling the left bar in to turn left instead of pushing on it that's a problem. It could be something simple. After you practice, get on the highway and go straight for a while and feel good about it.. Anyone that says they got on a bagger for their first bike and was comfortable and proficient is full of ****. You CAN do this. I promise.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Ed G. Price
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hang in With It

I recently purchased a SG after having ridden a Honda Interceptor, a sport touring bike, for many years. I was apprehensive when I received my new Harley - so big and heavy compared to what I was used to.

My experience was that the SG rides and handles extremely well for such a large machine. I would echo what others have said:
  • Don't give up
  • Ride in low traffic areas, if possible
  • Have confidence in the bike; if is fairly forgiving IMO

Once you have gained just a bit of experience in the saddle, you will move up the learning curve very quickly. While a touring bike is a big one to start on, many more people buy small, and regret their decision within 2 months.

If you can get your hands on a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling", by David Hough, buy it, read it, and enjoy your new hobby.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Android
Tourer

Take the saddlebags off. Store them in the garage and ride it to an empty lot. Practice practice practice.

Taking the saddlebags off will prevent a very costly repair in case you dropped it. SG do not have saddlebag guards.

Recommend take the MSF course. They will provide a small bike but you get the fundamentals. Also about 6 months later then go back and take the experienced riders course. Really a good course and done on your own bike small or large.

I say the SG is probably not a stater bike but if you are big enough for it then all it did was save you money cause now you are not spending on a sporty so that six months later you trade it for a big bike.

As far as bikes go I really like the street glide. It has the lowest center of balance of all touring bikes so in paper it should be the easiest to ride and corner with in slow situations.

Google "friction zone"

Good luck

OHHH I almost forgot. I once bought a book called something like handling my heAVY CRUISER OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT. Sorry for caps oops. This book taught me a lot of techniques I only read and learn through the use of the book. It was written by a former police officer trainer in NC I believe.

I will see if I can find it and post it here. It was the best 20buck I spent on motorcycle riding.

Last edited by Android; 05-06-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 PM
Android
Tourer

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
Good advice on the courses. Take the MSF course AGAIN.

Always keep your vision up and look where you want to go. Don't look down.

Take off the saddlebags, wrap the saddlebag supports and highway bar in foam (like pipe insulaton) and tape it and then try the parking lot maneuvers.

Wear gloves, FF helmet and body armor jacket (and pants if possible) when practicing (or better, all the time).
Originally Posted by hapbob
For first Bike it's a monster....I have seen guys buy big ol Harleys for first bike and get intimidated and lose interest and Harley is gone...This may sound crazy...but I would park the Street Glide and buy a used Honda 250 rebel for $2500 and drive the heck out of it...shifting and cornering and dealing with traffic ect... Every week you could reward your self and Ride the Street Glide in an easy location and see if you gain confidence and skills. Just sayin you have gone to the deep end while learning to swim.
Hap

If I was giving grades to the advice given here these two would have A+ from me.

I wrote my long azz post and then read the entire thread.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:35 AM
dfndr
Road Master

Lots of good advice here. Still say that learning basic skills on a cheap, banged up used smaller bike is better than dropping your big beautiful and expensive new bike. Someone wisely pointed out that the small bike is easier to pick up too. So true. And if you aren't dropping it in slow procedures your not pushing any limits or learning enough skills. Those smaller well used bikes are bought and sold for the same price repeatedly. Have fun.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:42 AM
christopher d
6th Gear

My first bike was a 1994 Vulcan 1500. Had never ridden a day in my life. I got on it and cruised around the neighborhood. Ran over a curb, or 2. My point is I stuck with it. Take your turns slow. You will eventually get the hang of it. Remember there is safety in numbers. Ride with friends, watch them. You will be alright. Good luck to you

Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 AM
mcw999
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on Ride Like A Pro videos and books for low speed techniques. Learn the basic concepts, then practice. Nobody was born knowing how to do this, we all had to learn.

For general on highway riding, the first 1000 miles are hard because you are still learning how to keep track of all the traffic and other inputs. However the next 4000 miles is actually dangerous because once you gain a little proficiency, the illusion of complete competence sets in and mistakes happen, like riding too fast into corners.

Practice straight line hard braking. There will come a time on the road when you will have to panic stop, some practice will increase the odds you can do this successfully in a tight situation.

Not everyone is trying to kill you deliberately on the road, it just seems that way. Be wary of cellphone users and texters. They just don't see you.

Quick Reply: Any tips