Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Streetglide pinging under load

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013 | 08:04 PM
streetglide55
|
6th Gear
Default Rattle trap video proof

I have been having a pinging problem for a year now and the Mechanics never seem to get the bike to do it. I found a youtube video that has the exact same problem caught on tape. I only use high test fuel and maintain the bike regularly . New plugs and air filter etc. I put the oem pipes back on to see if that made a difference. It didn't. Here is that video. Any ideas? If you watch it on Youtube you can jump to the spots it makes the noise. This guy has time stamped it

Last edited by streetglide55; 05-05-2013 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-05-2013 | 09:13 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member

16.50 minute video?
Go to youtube and find it?
Noooooooo.
Shorten the video to where you want us to watch/hear the pinging.

So, not watching it, but you did not say in your post
whether or not, you had a tuner?
If not, that would be my first piece of advice is to richen it up.
Buy a PC-V.
Mine works great!!
No issues!!

Old 05-05-2013 | 09:27 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

At 5:45 seconds the guy in video said he hears it.

Old 05-05-2013 | 09:49 PM
AlaskaAviator
Road Captain

Warm up the motor good and take the air cleaner off and fire it up, let it idle and take a spray bottle that sprays a mist and spray some in the throttle body. Not so much as to kill the motor. That will knock the carbon out of the combustion chamber and should take care of your problem.

Old 05-05-2013 | 09:53 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member

You're just running lean, get a fuel management system and bump the A.F.R. to a more suitable level.

Old 05-05-2013 | 10:23 PM
HardyHarHarley
Tourer

You've given us limited info about your engine/mods, etc. If totally stock, say so.

Did you purchase the bike new or used? If used, what do you know about the tune?

If it is stock and you purchased the bike new, the dealer needs to work with it till it doesn't ping anymore. I wouldn't let them off the hook by buying a tuner unless you want to.

If you buy a HD SE tuner, the dealer can install a number of tunes that will change the AFR to reduce ping.

Good luck,
Jim

Old 05-05-2013 | 10:29 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

12:10, 12:42 & 13:23 are the points in the video that the pinging is most prominent.

The reason Harley can't fix it, and I don't know this for sure but I do believe it is the case, is because they have no way to adjust the timing. They are limited to the factory authorized downloads.

To fix the problem you need an aftermarket tuner that has the capability to adjust the ignition timing. In the case of the guy in the video he needs to remove some timing at the upper throttle positions in the RPM ranges where the ping is evident.

Some folks will suggest richening the fuel mixture as the cure but that will only minimize or eliminate very minor cases of pinging. Most cases of pinging will require timing adjustments to eliminate the ping.

Old 05-06-2013 | 08:50 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

All stock bikes will ping, worse when ya add A/C and/or pipes. Add on tuners can add fuel and mask the epa tune on Harley's low tech fuel injection but the only way to have a proper running bike is to get a proper tuner (serpt/tts/pv) and dynotune by a qualified operator.

Old 05-06-2013 | 09:07 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
All stock bikes will ping, worse when ya add A/C and/or pipes. Add on tuners can add fuel and mask the epa tune on Harley's low tech fuel injection but the only way to have a proper running bike is to get a proper tuner (serpt/tts/pv) and dynotune by a qualified operator.
WOW! That statement is not true at all! The ECM on a HArley is really quite advanced, as compared to ANY other bike. MOCO invested heavily into running a CAR ECM to keep the bikes air cooled for as long as possible.

Except for Ducatti, all the other bikes I know of run simple Alpha-N technology to run the bikes. There are NO flash tuners, etc available, because they really ARE that simple. Harleys run Speed density fuel control... same as a car does but without the MAF sensor on the intake.

Hmmmm Harleys are one generation behind the cars... like mid 90s, the rest of the bikes use controls from 1980s.... EARLY 80s at that.

To the OP... you are going to need some kind of flash tuner to fix the crap *** EPA tune in that bike. Oldhippie is correct on what true fix needs to be done.

Last edited by wurk_truk; 05-06-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-06-2013 | 09:18 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member

Downshift maybe?

Quick Reply: 09 Streetglide pinging under load