Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Streetglide pinging under load

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 08:43 PM
streetglide55
|
6th Gear

So sorry about the long video but it is not mine. It is just one that I found where a guy has the same problem and sound as mine so I posted it. as for my bike. I bought it brand new and the only mods was slip on Vance and Hines and as of recent a K/M filter but the bike was pinging by then. I have ran it hard and soft 91 octane as a minimum and 94 is the best I can get around here and it still does it. Yesterday I changed the pipes back to stock after 60000kms with the Vance and Hines and It still pings but I don't know if it is as bad or not. I have had it into the dealer and also an independent and neither heard the ping. I can only figure they didn't run it hot enough or long enough. If I have to I will by a tuner but only if that is in fact what is needed. Maybe the water trick will work though as I am thinking that the pipes may have caused a carbon build up, that being said the plugs looked great when changed?

Old 05-06-2013 | 08:46 PM
streetglide55
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by lunatikfringe
pinging is not anything new to Harleys, My 95 carbed Fatboy was set very lean from the Factory. I had an Indy shop years ago put I believe a thunder jet in the carb and dyno tune the bike and no more pinging. My 09 SG also pinged when I got the bike. I put XIED's on and it helped but it did not cure the whole problem. When I got the money I bought a Power Vision from Fuel Moto and that cured the problem. I removed the Xieds. 600 bucks later problem solved.
It wouldn't be the first time I threw hundreds of dollars at the bike so why flinch now. My indy uses thunder max I believe? has anyone had experience with that tuner?

Old 05-06-2013 | 11:21 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by streetglide55
It wouldn't be the first time I threw hundreds of dollars at the bike so why flinch now. My indy uses thunder max I believe? has anyone had experience with that tuner?
while I am stage 1 and xieds Guy;

at present IF I needed a more complex tuner Thundermax would be my choice.

It is a complete replacement ECM

Mike

Old 05-07-2013 | 12:30 AM
$tonecold
Club Member

Originally Posted by streetglide55
Yeah, it's one of the alpha-N systems that 2black1's was talking about being ancient technology. In my personal experience with Tmax pinging was the one thing I had a problem with. They are also expensive. My advice is get a Power Vision. It is what I have now and I really like it. With it you can change almost anything that you need. Timing, AFR, VE tables. It will also auto-tune with the stock O2 sensors. You can also datalog so that you can get on your computer to see where exactly your pinging problem is happening. Then you can pull a little timing out in those areas. When you get the tune where you want it you can remove the PV as it flashes the ECM, so it doesn't have to stay on the bike. A PV costs less than $450 from some distributors, quite a bit less than the $900 a Tmax will set you back. Also Dynojets tech support is second to none. If you buy from Fuelmoto you get additional support that is worth any price difference there might be in the purchase price IMHO.