Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Streetglide pinging under load

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013 | 09:21 AM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
To the OP... you are going to need some kind of flash tuner to fix the crap *** EPA tune in that bike. Oldhippie is correct on what true fix needs to be done.
So you're saying even if his bike is dead stock, he's gonna need a tuner to get it to run properly? I don't buy that...especially if the H-D ECM is as advanced as you're saying it is...

I don't claim to know much about Harleys - that's why I'm reading as many of these threads as I can, so I can learn - but on a stock bike, even leaned out for EPA compliance, the thing should run right out of the box, no?

I'm asking because the only two TC bikes I've ridden were both essentially stock, mine and a rental in Colorado last fall. Mine is being run at 700' above sea level on 93 octane gas and ambient temps up to about 85-90° and hasn't pinged at all (that I've noticed yet) - but the RK 103 I rode in Colorado pinged like a beast - I was afraid to roll the throttle because I honestly thought it was going to self-destruct under load, it was that bad. But then again, it was over 100°, at 8,000' elevation, and running 91 octane, the highest they sell in Colorado. If that one would have been MY bike instead of a rental, I'd have had it back to the dealer in a heartbeat, so I know how the OP must feel.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to figure out if a dead-stock bike needs mods just to run right?? Doesn't sound right to me...

Old 05-06-2013 | 09:47 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

My 09 pinged when dead stock under certain conditions

2800~3200 rpms up a 6% grade- repeatable under various weather conditions/ altitude, fuels, etc.
When pinging, the ECM would retard the ign. timing and I'd have to downshift to maintain road speed

I added nightrider.com XIEDS and solved the issue.

after running them for over a thousand miles, I then swapped to my hi flow pipes and air cleaner of choice.

Still good results- thousands of miles later

mpg dropped from 44 to 43

cost; under $125
install time: 15 minutes incl. coffee

if considering mods beyond a stage 1 then a more complex device would be advisable.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 05-06-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 05-06-2013 | 09:56 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member

PowerVision tuner is a good choice IMO.
Spark tables can be adjusted, or you can send the map to Jamie at FM and they can adjust the map spark table etc.

Old 05-06-2013 | 11:35 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by UUNetBill
So you're saying even if his bike is dead stock, he's gonna need a tuner to get it to run properly? I don't buy that...especially if the H-D ECM is as advanced as you're saying it is...

I don't claim to know much about Harleys - that's why I'm reading as many of these threads as I can, so I can learn - but on a stock bike, even leaned out for EPA compliance, the thing should run right out of the box, no?

I'm asking because the only two TC bikes I've ridden were both essentially stock, mine and a rental in Colorado last fall. Mine is being run at 700' above sea level on 93 octane gas and ambient temps up to about 85-90° and hasn't pinged at all (that I've noticed yet) - but the RK 103 I rode in Colorado pinged like a beast - I was afraid to roll the throttle because I honestly thought it was going to self-destruct under load, it was that bad. But then again, it was over 100°, at 8,000' elevation, and running 91 octane, the highest they sell in Colorado. If that one would have been MY bike instead of a rental, I'd have had it back to the dealer in a heartbeat, so I know how the OP must feel.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to figure out if a dead-stock bike needs mods just to run right?? Doesn't sound right to me...
It isn't right but it is a fact of life for many. I don't know if all stock Harley's ping but if my 2011 Limited is an indicator then they must. It was like the bike you rented... I was afraid to ride the thing before installing my tuner and making AFR and Timing changes. Higher octane, like 93-94, available in some parts of the country may explain why some do not ping. But with the 91 available where I live, pinging was the norm for me and my bike with the 103. I also have an 88 inch '02 Duece. The Duece has never had a pinging issue.

Many folks on here with newer bikes claim that they have no pinging issues. I have to take them at their word but in the back of my mind I wonder if they would even know a ping if it was staring them right in the face. To those experienced a ping is a very distinct sound under certain conditions, not something to be confused with other noises such as valve train noise, yet many posts here related to pinging lend credence to the fact that many folks simply do not know what a ping is or what it sounds like.

Old 05-06-2013 | 12:56 PM
UUNetBill
Outstanding HDF Member

Well, like I said, I know what BAD pinging sounds like - but what worries me is that as deaf as I am (20 years of active duty can do that to ya) my bike may be knocking and I can't hear it unless it's totally blasting away...

I keep telling myself that I'll be happy with a stock bike with slip-ons, but I know deep down inside I'll go to Stage 1 at least, and probably even more as the years go by. Now I'm wondering if I should look into basic enrichment, or a tuner, or what...

Guess I'll just wait for the summer temps and keep my ears open.

Old 05-06-2013 | 01:29 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior

I am so glad that I saw that video. My bike sounds just like that, when it was under normal conditions. It sounded like a sewing machine, just like mine. Fortunatly, I have 93 octane where I live. I have never heard any thing like that pinging that the sportster was experiencing, whether stock or the conditions that I have now. Gutted cat and vied set to 60. 50 was causing a lot of decel pop. I have always averaged about 35mpg but I am a bit aggressive on the throttle when not stuck in Boston traffic.

Old 05-06-2013 | 04:22 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by lionsm13
16.50 minute video?
Go to youtube and find it?
Noooooooo.
Shorten the video to where you want us to watch/hear the pinging.

So, not watching it, but you did not say in your post
whether or not, you had a tuner?
If not, that would be my first piece of advice is to richen it up.
Buy a PC-V.
Mine works great!!
No issues!!
Retard the timing in the ranges your getting the pinging. I had to install a tuner (PCV to be exact) just to eliminate the pinging and the only way I found to stop the pinging is alter the timing.

Old 05-06-2013 | 06:42 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

my 07 pinged like crazy,harley was useless in solving the issue.tuner some added fuel and pulled a very small amount of timing and no more ping.tryed ides first helped but not a cure for me.

Old 05-06-2013 | 06:54 PM
lunatikfringe
Cruiser

pinging is not anything new to Harleys, My 95 carbed Fatboy was set very lean from the Factory. I had an Indy shop years ago put I believe a thunder jet in the carb and dyno tune the bike and no more pinging. My 09 SG also pinged when I got the bike. I put XIED's on and it helped but it did not cure the whole problem. When I got the money I bought a Power Vision from Fuel Moto and that cured the problem. I removed the Xieds. 600 bucks later problem solved.

Old 05-06-2013 | 07:57 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
WOW! That statement is not true at all! The ECM on a HArley is really quite advanced, as compared to ANY other bike. MOCO invested heavily into running a CAR ECM to keep the bikes air cooled for as long as possible.

Except for Ducatti, all the other bikes I know of run simple Alpha-N technology to run the bikes. There are NO flash tuners, etc available, because they really ARE that simple. Harleys run Speed density fuel control... same as a car does but without the MAF sensor on the intake.

Hmmmm Harleys are one generation behind the cars... like mid 90s, the rest of the bikes use controls from 1980s.... EARLY 80s at that.

To the OP... you are going to need some kind of flash tuner to fix the crap *** EPA tune in that bike. Oldhippie is correct on what true fix needs to be done.
You do understand mid '90s is about 20 years years ago? In computer controls and technologically that is ancient! Just because other bikes are worse doesn't make it modern or advanced. But thanks for agreeing on the point.

Quick Reply: 09 Streetglide pinging under load